“Terrible attitude from quite a few members of staff - will not return”
Review of Ioana Hotel

Ioana Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sinaia
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My friends and I plus two babies and a toddler went to Ioana for four days. We were very excited having been recommended the hotel by a friend and also having read so many positive reviews. We were somewhat aware of bad reviews regarding the restaurant but nothing could have prepared us for sych a totally disastrous experience. In short it is extremely expensive for what is actually pretty average food (and we are talking Michelin starred restaurant prices for some of the dishes). Staff attitude varies from plain rude and arrogant, to hoplessly unhelpful or meaning well but gaving no clue what hospitality involves (with a couple of exceptions to be fair).
If you travel with young children you constantly have to ask for help there is absolutely zero initiative.
Design wise the hotel is beautiful, but the management needs to work on the practical side a bit. Not enough plugs in the rooms, nowhere to put your plates if you need to have a meal in your room, are only a couple of examples.
I have to thank in particular Attila and George for putting up with our daily requests and complaints. I was less impressed by the marketing manager, Mr Birau who on e-mails had been very helpful, but face to face did not really seem to take our issues seriously.
Personally I will not return, but if you have to stay there, Taverna Sarbului is just around the corner, much better price, better food and a hundred times better restaurant service. The only five star thing about this place, besides interior design was the massage.
PS for the management: we appreciate all the discounts, but we would have much rather preferred to pay the prices we came prepared for and get the five star stay you are supposed to provide.
Brandusa Tataru

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Brandusa1978
Ioana H, Director of Sales at Ioana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Brandusa,
We are truly sorry that you were unable to fully enjoy your experience with us. However, we highly appreciate your feedback, both live and on Tripadvisor, as it helps us improve on the long run.
We are delighted to read that you liked the design and the massage. However, we were and we still are saddened to hear that you were so unsatisfied. It is the first time we had someone leave so unhappy, and it was something unexpected for us, as we always try to go the extra mile. Our other guests come from all over the world, having different income levels and expectations, therefore you must understand that based on the feedback we receive after each stay, we are quite surprised of how unhappy you felt with us. Our staff is prepared to anticipate our guests’ needs, but they are also glad to respond to any additional or uncommon requests within our power.
We are aware of the issues you had experienced service wise in the restaurant, and at the time we considered that the discounts would make up at least partially for what happened, especially because we offered the same discount for all of your meals during your entire stay, while we even went the extra mile and provided you with free transportation to Brasov and Bran, all because of the attitude of one waiter at your first meal. It was an attempt to pacify while it also symbolized our apology in the matter, but it seems that it was not a welcomed token. Based on your feedback at the time, we even made sure that the server that inconvenienced you would not be scheduled again for work during your stay. However, seeing as you decided to continue to use our restaurant daily during your stay even after you said you would never return to eat here, we are somewhat confused as to how you actually felt regarding the matter. Receiving such negative feedback, yet having you return to the same restaurant is somewhat intriguing to us. Also, as our colleague Attila (Guest Experience Manager) mentioned, we are currently focusing on retraining our staff, to be able to provide even higher quality services for you and all of our future guests.
We try to be of assistance whenever possible and required, especially when our guests come with children. We have a kid’s playground named Ioana’s Jungle, while our Forest Restaurant is equipped with highchairs, kid’s menus and crayons, which all of our wait staff is instructed to use in order to ensure a quality experience. Our babysitter is always prepared to make the kids enjoy their stay! We even made sure that, based on availability, at least one of the rooms had a bathtub as well, so that it would be easier to bathe the small ones. It was unexpected for our staff to receive a complaint for not providing you with a baby bath, as they did not receive a request. This was something we would have loved to hear about when you also requested the baby crib, or even after that. Considering that there was not a request for it, we find it unfair to have received a complaint about not providing you with such an item.
We are also aware that there were not enough plugs in the room for you, this being the reason why our colleagues at the Front Desk provided you with an extension cord with several outlets, to help you with the heaters and water boilers you wished to use all at the same time. Also, our rooms feature spacious desks that can be used as tables as well, just like many other internationally renowned hotels, where one can have a quite pleasant meal in the most intimate environment. Unfortunately we were not aware that this inconvenienced you, as we would have gladly provided you with an extra table and a set of chairs.
Also, we are glad to hear that our team members Attila (Guest Experience Manager) and George (Front Desk Manager) were able to make your stay somewhat more pleasant.
We can assure you that our colleague Mr. Birau is a true professional, always trying to please our guests the best way possible, going above and beyond when it comes to customer service. From our knowledge, you e-mailed him stating that you would like to set an appointment, not mentioning the reason. He responded in a timely manner asking you for information regarding the best suitable time period for you. He assisted the team in finding the best solutions available to ensure a quality experience. Based on your face-to-face conversation with Mr. Birau, that you had when you checked out, where he explained all of the team's decisions and even received a kind response from you; you must understand our surprise when you say that he did not take your situation seriously, as he got involved in the operations aspect of your stay much more than was expected of him.

We are, though, saddened to hear that you would not like to return to us. We understand that words cannot make up for what you are referring to (maybe a bit unfairly) as an unpleasant experience. We assure you that we always do everything we can to make our guests enjoy their stay with us. We are certain your friend you mentioned at the beginning of your review had experienced something extraordinary with us, that being the reason why he or she recommended us to you.
As you mentioned at several occasions during your conversation with our staff, traveling with small babies can make anyone more sensitive to anything that happens nearby. Although we do take responsibility and admit our fault regarding the service issue you had experienced in the restaurant, we feel that having to be protective for the small ones caused you to be so unhappy with us. It also comes somewhat as a surprise to see that although you have been a member on Tripadvisor for the past 4 years, we have been the only place you have reviewed. As mentioned before, leaving such a negative review is somewhat unfair, as we did respond timely to several of your requests that were actually worded to sound like complaints, even though there were no prior desires from your behalf regarding these matters.
All of these being said, we wish you pleasant travels wherever you may decide to go next.

Thanking you for your feedback, which helps us identify any possible aspects that require improvement,
Cristian Ciobanu

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just yesterday we return from our short holiday in this hotel were we had a great time. Everything in this hotel is excellent: the rooms are large, clean and intimate; the restaurant is located in the forest and is a unique place if you want to eat something good in a gorgeous place or if you are looking for a good time with your friends. In every little thing you can feel the management concern for the clients. This time was special for us because was the birthday of our goddaughter and with help from the hotel management we organized a great party for her. Every time we were here we felt spoiled. We highly recommend this hotel for everyone with or without kids, for a romantic time or fun with friends. We definitely return here soon. Thank you Ioana Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Anca G
Ioana H, Director of Sales at Ioana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Anca,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor, which is certainly helping us to identify any criteria’s that are well appreciated in order to keep and further constantly enhance our services for our guests
I especially liked very much your kindly words which captures very well our vision for life style hotel. and showed that we are perfect choice for leisure actvity but also business. I also want to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel ,our facilities,rooms and also Spa area.I am looking forward to welcome you and your family back to the “Ioana Hotels ” and please do not hesitate to contact our Ioana Hotel team or me at any time for any inquiries or help you might need.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Classy atmosphere, elegant lounge, charming forest view. Concept design rooms, among which quite spectacular suites/or romantic room(!!). Great spa, too. A hotel which compliments King Carol's project, to make of Sinaia the mountain correspondent of Monte Carlo's life style. It is our preferred hotel in Romania, we are there regularly.
For "les plaisirists" to enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank oana t
Ioana H, Director of Sales at Ioana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Oana,
I especially liked very much your title which actually”captures very well our vision for life style hotel. and showed that we are perfect choice for leisure actvity but also business. I also want to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel ,our facilities,rooms and also Spa area.I am looking forward to welcome you and your family back to the “Ioana Hotels ” and please do not hesitate to contact our Ioana Hotel team or me at any time for any inquiries or help you might need.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent more than 2 weeks in this lovely place. Everything was great! Place, quiet atmosphere, hospitality of hotel staff, restaurant. I would highly recommend to everybody with and without kids, single travelers, honeymoon couples, group of friends. I liked the location of the hotel in the forest, the rooms werw excellent, best food, everything was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ioana H, Director of Sales at Ioana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear maniu I
I especially liked very much your kindly words which captures very well our vision for life style hotel. and showed that we are perfect choice for leisure actvity but also business. I also want to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel ,our staff quality dishes .I am looking forward to welcome you and your family back to the “Ioana Hotels ” and please do not hesitate to contact our Ioana Hotel team or me at any time for any inquiries or help you might need.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We are regulars at this lovely boutique hotel. I spent some very nice winter or summer with children or friends, I highly recommend this hotel
we feel at home. Services are very good and the area is gorgeous. Congratulations for what you do. Success.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ioana H, Director of Sales at Ioana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear DMM 891
Good Morning,
I especially liked very much your title which actually”captures very well our vision for life style hotel. and showed that we are perfect choice for leisure actvity but also business. I also want to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel ,our staff quality dishes .I am looking forward to welcome you and your family back to the “Ioana Hotels ” and please do not hesitate to contact our Ioana Hotel team or me at any time for any inquiries or help you might need.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is probably the best hotel in Romania. Rooms are very large and clean, the staff were very helpful.
We liked very much this hotel: the food, the rooms, the restaurant, everithing was excellent!
I have been here many times, and every time we had a wonderful.
Thank you, Ioana Hotels, for all vacations spent here!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Ioana H, Director of Sales at Ioana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Actrapi.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I spent a wonderful time in this hotel last year with my family and I decided to go again.
Surprisingly for a Romanian hotel, last weekend I found it in the perfect condition, well maintained, clean, and careful designed. We spend a lot of time in the lobby bar and in the hotel’s restaurant.
The Jamaican night from the Forest restaurant was amazing and the staff was well dressed and prepared for a happy night.
The food was very tasteful and the staff was always smiling, treating us like a part of a family. I really enjoyed it!!!
One more thing, they have a dedicated place for kids, with toys and a lot of wii games. My little boys were very happy during the Jamaican party!!!!
Highly recommended
Alin

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Alin

Good Afternoon,

I especially liked very much your title which"Amazing 5 stars hotel" actuallycaptures very well our vision for life style hotel. and showed that we are perfect choice for leisure actvity but also business. I also want to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel ,our staff quality dishes .I am looking forward to welcome you and your family back to the “Ioana Hotels ” and please do not hesitate to contact our Ioana Hotel team or me at any time for any inquiries or help you might need.

Cristi Ciobanu

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sinaia
Hotel International Sinaia
#7 of 29 in Sinaia
Lux Garden Hotel
Lux Garden Hotel
#1 of 2 in Azuga

Been to Ioana Hotel? Share your experiences!