“the most orrible service in my life” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Medieval

Hotel Medieval
Ranked #3 of 38 Alba Iulia B&B and Inns
Lupeni, Romania
“the most orrible service in my life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I dont recommend this hotel

internet is not working

food is terrible; personal dont know even what they serve; you ask one plate and they serve one hour later the wrong one

lift is just as decoration

to the reception they are impolite, also they dont speak english or french

Room Tip: try to ask a room where you have internet coverage and is very cold inside: as personal to heat your...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
bucharest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

i accommodate all my guests in this hotel. it looks nice and the location is great ( especially for non-Romanians). i just started growing confidence with the personnel and the whole hotel business. however, on my last experience, just had a not so friendly tourist episode: one of my guests took from his room some tourist flyers to show back home how nice is our country/city ( and eventually promote it to his friends) but at check out ( where you have to wait for hotel staff to check your room - they don't believe you about using or not the minibar) the receptionist asked my guy to pay for those 3 flyers!!!! i immediately took care of it( ~1 euro each) , but i was already embarrassed of this attitude! first of all you don't charge for some touristic flyers, and second, if you do charge, at least mention it next to the flyers to avoid such situations!!!
anyway, i found it totally unprofessional and so typical romanian!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tudy27
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We came to Alba Iulia in early October. The hotel is very special, integrated into the Vauban Fortress. When you stay at the hotel, your room key gains you access to everything in the fortress. You will see museum-like areas, excavations, tunnels, horses in stables, and guards in period costumes who will loan you their swords for photo ops. The staff will also take you on a personal tour of 2000 year old rooms/vaulted areas below the hotel. We had one of the more deluxe rooms and enjoyed the new carpet, heavy wood furniture, and water boiler with basket of coffee and tea. The room had special touches of real flowers, handmade textiles,upscale fixtures in the bathroom, slippers and shoe polish. It was impeccably clean and quiet. Wifi was strong, beds comfortable, and hot water never-ending. Staff is dressed in costume which gives a nice ambience. We were able to take in the noon "changing of the guard" outside.
We enjoyed the restaurant, the Hotel Medieval Restaurant ,( not to be confused with the Pier 13 Medieval Restaurant which is in a different location and not part of the hotel) While the menu is only in Romanian, the staff spoke English and translated. Anyone would recognize the pasta section , even if it is in Romanian - (pasta penne arrabiata, for example). I had brought a list of Romanian specialities I wanted to try, and the server found all of them on the menu. Prices are reasonable, and we enjoyed the wine too.
Breakfast may not be like whatever it is you have at home, but that's the fun of travel, isn't it? To experience new things and expand your horizons? The breakfast room was light and airy, overlooking the ruins, decorated with massive furniture in medieval style. Costumed servers brought coffee (Nespresso or similar, very good), and tea. Breakfast included fresh breads, liver pate, caviar in cream, an eggplant spread, assortment of fresh raw vegetables, assorted cheeses, tuna salad, cereals, yogurt and juice. The warming tray which held sunny side up eggs and frankfurters wasn't blistering hot like I like it, but I enjoyed everything else. Pastries were yummy. The hotel is a perfect location for strolling about the university as well, where there were various art shows and cultural events going on, and we enjoyed visiting the old cathedral and other historical buildings with great photo ops. We will be staying at Hotel Medieval again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cookie064
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a beautifully restored building in the heart of the old city. Unfortunately, the service and food does not match the quality of the restoration. The staff varied from helpful to indifferent. The food was just indifferent, although you can eat outside by the fountain in warm weather, which is delightful.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms get very hot in summer, and there is no air conditioning.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Soltryyk
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was optimistic reading the hotel's website, and seeing photographs of the property, but my initial optimism quickly turned into extreme dissatisfaction with the gross mismanagement, poor service, and overall lack of quality of the hotel. Although the location is excellent, in the middle of the citadel in Alba Iulia, and the building itself is historic, I have nothing else positive to say about this hotel. From check-in to check-out, it was a comedy of errors.
First of all, they could not find my booking, which was made by the extremely efficient organizer of my tour in Romania, Medieval Tours, and when that was settled, I asked whether there was air conditioning, and I was told that the way in which the building was constructed will keep me cool at night! Unfortunately, such was not the case, as it was very hot in Alba Iulia, and I had to sleep with the window open, and even then, sweated all night long. if they can install an elevator, then they can surely install air conditioning. But they clearly do not want to. In fact, the management of this hotel is so tourist-unfriendly that the menu in the hotel's restaurant (there only is one restaurant!) is only in Romanian, and when I inquired as to the reason, I was informed that the management wanted it that way!
Now, for breakfast.....supposedly starting at 7am, on the 2 days I was there, I had to go into the kitchen and pull the waitress away from her mobile phone conversation in order to get coffee. Furthermore, the breakfast was very poor, meager in the extreme, and, such as it was, was not fully laid out until 7:30.
However, the worst experience was to find that the hotel had been taken over for a local wedding, which meant that the restaurant would not serve hotel guests, and so I had to go outside to find dinner. Then, at night, the hotel staff, for reasons behind my comprehension, held a party, drinking, eating, and chatting in loud voices on the lawn outside directly beneath my window all night long. Repeated calls to reception to complain resulted in no action being taken, and I had to tell the offending staff at 11 pm to find somewhere else to hold their party. They did...temporarily, as I awoke at 4am - yes, four in the morning! - to find them once again holding their loud and boisterous party on the lawn beneath my window.
Rooms are not cleaned automatically, as is indeed the case in any other hotel claiming 5-stars around the world. Much to my surprise, one morning at 9am, a member of the staff came to my room to ask if I needed anything. I could not comprehend what that could possible mean, and so I said no. When I returned to my room at 4pm, I found that it had not been cleaned. So I asked at reception and was informed that I had said that I didn't need anything in the morning! Incredible! So what did they do? Came and delivered me clean towels and that was it. Medieval service, indeed!
And so, this hotel should be avoided at all costs; for Romania, it is expensive, and offers absolutely no service and represents abysmal value-for-money. Or one can book the Hotel Medieval and receive medieval service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank RichardRiyadh
Cayman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

2 nights spent in the hotel convinced me it was far from what they claim to be: a 5 star hotel.
Location wise, it's perfect: you are in the middle of a genuine citadel, that was nicely renovated and that harbors pretty buildings, including the church where Queen Mary of Romania was crowned, and lively bars. If you get there at night, it's even more scenic. It's also possible to rent out bikes and tour the citadel. Bring your ID for this.
The outfits of the staff (especially the men's!) will add to the impression you took a trip back in time. Although nicely refurbished, the hotel still needs to do more efforts.

Breakfast is more on the side of a 2 star hotel despite the gorgeous setting. In summer, you can eat in a nice garden and enjoy the view. After such a business card, needless to say we never tried out other meals there.
Our bathroom's plumbing definitely needed some fixing since it really challenged our patience on the 1st night. ;) Wireless connection was an issue at almost all times. The furniture did not convince us either, nothing genuine about it.
All in all, too pricey for what it is!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple