“Not a 5-star hotel at all!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Medieval

and 1 more site!
Hotel Medieval
Ranked #3 of 37 Alba Iulia B&B and Inns
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Not a 5-star hotel at all!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was optimistic reading the hotel's website, and seeing photographs of the property, but my initial optimism quickly turned into extreme dissatisfaction with the gross mismanagement, poor service, and overall lack of quality of the hotel. Although the location is excellent, in the middle of the citadel in Alba Iulia, and the building itself is historic, I have nothing else positive to say about this hotel. From check-in to check-out, it was a comedy of errors.
First of all, they could not find my booking, which was made by the extremely efficient organizer of my tour in Romania, Medieval Tours, and when that was settled, I asked whether there was air conditioning, and I was told that the way in which the building was constructed will keep me cool at night! Unfortunately, such was not the case, as it was very hot in Alba Iulia, and I had to sleep with the window open, and even then, sweated all night long. if they can install an elevator, then they can surely install air conditioning. But they clearly do not want to. In fact, the management of this hotel is so tourist-unfriendly that the menu in the hotel's restaurant (there only is one restaurant!) is only in Romanian, and when I inquired as to the reason, I was informed that the management wanted it that way!
Now, for breakfast.....supposedly starting at 7am, on the 2 days I was there, I had to go into the kitchen and pull the waitress away from her mobile phone conversation in order to get coffee. Furthermore, the breakfast was very poor, meager in the extreme, and, such as it was, was not fully laid out until 7:30.
However, the worst experience was to find that the hotel had been taken over for a local wedding, which meant that the restaurant would not serve hotel guests, and so I had to go outside to find dinner. Then, at night, the hotel staff, for reasons behind my comprehension, held a party, drinking, eating, and chatting in loud voices on the lawn outside directly beneath my window all night long. Repeated calls to reception to complain resulted in no action being taken, and I had to tell the offending staff at 11 pm to find somewhere else to hold their party. They did...temporarily, as I awoke at 4am - yes, four in the morning! - to find them once again holding their loud and boisterous party on the lawn beneath my window.
Rooms are not cleaned automatically, as is indeed the case in any other hotel claiming 5-stars around the world. Much to my surprise, one morning at 9am, a member of the staff came to my room to ask if I needed anything. I could not comprehend what that could possible mean, and so I said no. When I returned to my room at 4pm, I found that it had not been cleaned. So I asked at reception and was informed that I had said that I didn't need anything in the morning! Incredible! So what did they do? Came and delivered me clean towels and that was it. Medieval service, indeed!
And so, this hotel should be avoided at all costs; for Romania, it is expensive, and offers absolutely no service and represents abysmal value-for-money. Or one can book the Hotel Medieval and receive medieval service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank RichardRiyadh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Cayman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

2 nights spent in the hotel convinced me it was far from what they claim to be: a 5 star hotel.
Location wise, it's perfect: you are in the middle of a genuine citadel, that was nicely renovated and that harbors pretty buildings, including the church where Queen Mary of Romania was crowned, and lively bars. If you get there at night, it's even more scenic. It's also possible to rent out bikes and tour the citadel. Bring your ID for this.
The outfits of the staff (especially the men's!) will add to the impression you took a trip back in time. Although nicely refurbished, the hotel still needs to do more efforts.

Breakfast is more on the side of a 2 star hotel despite the gorgeous setting. In summer, you can eat in a nice garden and enjoy the view. After such a business card, needless to say we never tried out other meals there.
Our bathroom's plumbing definitely needed some fixing since it really challenged our patience on the 1st night. ;) Wireless connection was an issue at almost all times. The furniture did not convince us either, nothing genuine about it.
All in all, too pricey for what it is!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple