“Fabulous Dinner”
Review of Largo do Paco

Largo do Paco
Reserve with
Largo do Paco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 92 Restaurants in Amarante
Cuisines: Portuguese, Contemporary, International
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casa da Calcada Relais & Chateâux and is restaurante Largo do Paço, are an exclusive boutique hotel nestled in the picturesque village of Amarante, between Oporto and the majestic Douro Valley. Surrounded by lush wine country and ancient trees, this lemon-coloured XVI century palace is renowned for its award-winning Restaurante Largo do Paco. The restaurant has been awarded with 1 Star Michelin since 2004. With an assured selection of Portuguese and international wines. The Maitre and Sommelier is the famous Adacio Ribeiro.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had a very memorable dinner on the terrace at sunset. The tasting menus were fabulous. The service was outstanding.

Oriol J, General Manager at Largo do Paco, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback about your dinner in our restaurant.
We are extremely glad to know that you had a fantastic dinner in our terrace (only open when we have good weather during the summer) and that everything, from the service to the degustation menus were up to your standards of quality.

We hope to welcome you back again in a near future.

Oriol Juve and all the team at Casa da Calçada

Reviewed June 20, 2013

For those visiting Amarante or lucky enough to be staying in Casa Da Calcada do not pass up on the opportunity to enjoy an amazing experience at this wonderful Restaurant. We dined here 4 times over 5 days and each meal was a treat. I have often thought that food described as "makes you smile" a bit OTT I now know what that means and you will smile about the flavours, presentation and service. There are plenty of other places to eat in Amarante which is a lovely village but for outstanding quality, experience and value you could not match this anywhere. Whilst we were there (2nd week June) there was a Table d'hôtel menu available Mon to Fri for an amazing 25 euro for lunch and 35 euro for dinner and what you see on the menu is not all that you get due to many compliments from the chef trust me you will not be disappointed and it will be the best meal you will have in Amarante if not anywhere.

Oriol J, General Manager at Largo do Paco, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Thank you very much for the feedback about your experience in our restaurant, Largo do Paço, with our local chef Vitor Matos.
We are also glad to know that you also stayed with us and that you had the chance to experience our restaurant 4 times.
As you said in your feedback, comment, Amarante has also other nice restaurants, typical from the region, and around 7 of them they are walking distance from the hotel (2-3 minutes).
We hope to welcome you back in a near future in our hotel and hope that we will be able to surprise you again with our gastronomy, quality / price and service.

Best regards from all the team at Largo do Paço

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We had the €70 tasting menu with €35 wine pairing. There were 3 very different amuse-bouches before the starter: a cherry foie gras parfait, salmon tartare with cream cheese cornet and a caipirinha sorbet. Every course was delicious and the wines (all Portuguese) were well chosen. Food is refined with a playful touch. All in all superior to the 1-star restaurants I've tried in Paris.

Oriol J, General Manager at Largo do Paco, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments.
Glad to know that you enjoyed a lot our restaurant and that the menu you had it was fantastic in terms of quality / price.
Our Head Chef Vitor Matos and our Sommelier Adacio Ribeiro, work really hard every day to make sure we keep the high standards of our restaurant and that our cuisine and wine list keeps improving and getting better and stronger.
Hope to welcome you in a near future.

Best regards from all the team at Largo do Paço.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Palace gardens are in bloom when I was there. It overlooks the river and has a huge wine cellar
Service was impecible and the food was equally good. Wine was the best I had in Portugal.
Decor was elegant and spacious, I would love to stay at the hotel one day.

Oriol J, General Manager at Largo do Paco, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments about your dinner / lunch in our restaurant Largo do Paço.
Glad to know that you enjoyed and that the service, food and wine, where above your expectations.
We hope to welcome you in a future in our hotel to be able to enjoy the other side of our house.

The whole team at Casa da Calçada and Largo do Paço

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been to The Fat Duck, Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons and a few other Michelin-starred places, and I really believe that this beats the others. (As well as being better value. Obviously these places are never cheap, however I've paid a lot more for worse.)

We went for the mid-priced menu degustation at E90 each, with E40 for wines to accompany each course. the food was simply delicious, interesting and presented very well: all in all absolutely excellent. I'll be honest with you: I had a bit to drink and without consulting my copy of the menu I can't really remember what I had to eat. I remember finally understanding the fuss people make about truffles. I remember the waiters being charming, knowledgeable and friendly, none of the sloppy, complacent service I often complain about in British and French Michelin-starred places. I remember thinking it was probably the best meal I'd had.

In brief: highly recommended.

1  Thank Peter J
Oriol J, General Manager at Largo do Paco, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for your feedback about your meal in our Michelin Star Restaurant.
We are really proud to know that it was one of the best meals that you have ever had.
Largo do Paço Restaurant, a Michelin Star, with our Head Chef being Vitor Matos and our Sommelier Adacio Ribeiro, is a restaurant that will try to take you in a gastronomical "voyage" around Portugal. The idea is that the client is able to discover the Portuguese Gastronomy and Wines in only a couple of hours.

We look forward welcoming you again soon.

Thank you very much from all the Team at the Largo do Paço and Casa da Calçada Relais & Chateaux.