“Has character but getting tired in places.”

Greville Arms Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Donegal, Ireland
“Has character but getting tired in places.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Had a recent one-night stay here on way to a wedding. Firstly, the girl at reception was friendly, welcoming and very helpful. Getting around the hotel and getting to our room was maze-like with many stairs up and down which, although adding some character to the place, would be a problem for anyone with mobility issues. The room was adequate and clean and the bed comfortable but both the room and, especially, the bathroom were a little 'tired' and due some renovation. With regard to sleep quality, this was a Saturday night and, in addition to the normal Saturday night pub crowd, there was also a hen party. This resulted in us being subjected to a combination of a live band and a separate disco in our room well into the small hours. As this is an old hotel, I don't know if any of the other rooms would be soundproofed but it would be worth discussing this when booking. Breakfast was good. Enclosed parking at rear of hotel was free but spaces are limited.

Room Tip: Check if any parties are on and if your room will be above them.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I visited the hotel for a meal on a recent visit to Mullingar with friends and was looking forward to a nice steak before heading out for a few drinks afterwards. I ordered a fillet steak and as you can imagine, it was quite expensive so you would expect it to be cooked to your liking.

I ordered it medium-rare and it came with chips and onion rings which were ok but when I was served the steak, it was well-done.

I asked the waitress to take it back and return with my medium-rare as ordered.

She was very nice about it and came back with a new steak but nothing else (no chips or onion rings). So I had to call her back again to raise this issue. She then came back with some chips.

I then went to enjoy my steak and discovered that this time it was medium-WELL.... They got it wrong the second time too.

At this stage, I really didn't have the time to wait for a THIRD steak as I had to go and meet friends. So I just ate it as it was, paid (full price!) and left.

I should have complained the second time but I had to leave at that stage.

Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank keague2005

Travelers are raving about these Mullingar hotels

Brough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

A very nice hotel, with lovely staff (Annemarie), nothing was too much trouble for them.
We went to see Niall Horans BRIT awards which are on display in the reception area, the Ulysses Bar was very homely and the food and staff were excellent. Breakfast was very nice and plenty of it. During our stay in Mullingar we met Nialls dad Bobby.
Hoping to go back soon and will stay longer next time.
One negative was the view from our room. But someone has to have it I suppose.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed for two nights over the August bank holiday. There was six of us two of the group found the stairs a struggled as there was no lift. This was a over sight on my end as I did not inquire about the lift when booking I just thought there would be one. The bar staff and the staff over all were very friendly, food was lovely and hot. In my view the hotel could do with up dating.

Room Tip: As for a good side room as we had a small one.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Lovely hotel with very friendly staff, but I travelled with my elderly parents and they struggled with the steps and the stairs. Everywhere you went it was up and down steps. Great choice of breakfast items and service was very good. Ask for quiet rooms as we were out over the disco and the noise kept thumping until the early hours. Some of the rooms have been refurbished and other haven't and are in need of updating.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sao Bernardo Do Campo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

My stay in The Greville Arms Hotel was really amazing, the manager are really helpfully. There have Niall´s awards and how I´m a directioner that was incredible and there I met NIall´s mum and grandmother, so if you are a directioner you have to go to Greville!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lafaiete O
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

The worst place to go Service terrible. Dinner nice. But the rest of the hotel was awful. do not go.
The bar service was slow, the toilets are in bad need of cleaning and need of a lick of paint. The bar needs to be re ~done and looks like a knocking shop.

Stayed July 2014