“nice interior design, but dirt is unbeliveable”

Greville Arms Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I love the interior design and the location is perfect.

I have only one word for this hotel - FILTHY.

Dirt, dirt and one more time dirt, everything in this hotel if dirty - floors, furniture, dishes, cutlery, walls, ceilings, bathrooms, toilets, tables, carpets, bed covers, arm chairs - everything!!! I had my own flip-flops and they stuck to the bathroom floor in our room. It was absolutely unbeliveable see the condition of the hotel for the price we have paid.

The hotel shouldn't charge so much if there is no sign of cleaning at all.

Also food in the bar is just disgusting - mash potates have been mashed with sour milk I persume, cooked vegetables was far from be cooked, completely hard and meet to dry. We didn't eat in the restaurant as wasn't open yet.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarzenaDublin

Reviewed March 7, 2011

hotel rooms terrible really old and grubby would not go back for this reason staff were nice and friendly

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shirley035
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed at this Hotel on Saturday 19th february, unfortunately. First of all, finding the carpark was really hard, no sign's etc from the road. Then arriving at reception we were given our room key by a receptionist that really couldn't raise a smile if she tried. After lugging our bags up two separate flights of stairs (No lift) we walked into our tiny twin room and were greeted by a lovely smell of stale smoke. I'm a smoker myself but my friend I was sharing with isn't so we requested a non smoking room, maybe it was, if so maybe a sign to warn people not to smoke? Anyway then we opened the tiny bathroom door and it was like something from Bathrooms from Hell. Avocado suite, definitely has seen better days, there was toiletries on the stand but these were covered in a layer of dust... We were heading down to the bar for food and to meet up with the rest of our group (20+) straightaway for a Hen Party so we just said we'd get ready and forget about it. Trouble was we had to wait about 10 mins for the water to heat up, myself and my friend tried unsuccessfully to turn the water up but the only thing was to keep checking to see if it had heaten up then make a dash for the shower! Towels were rock hard, but they did the job... to put on the floor! The floor was soaked, we had brought our own towels thankfully! Anyway so we headed out and tried to enjoy ourselves. We were told there was a 'disco' on that night but having looked for it and not been able to find it we were instructed by the surly barman it was closed but there was a dance on downstairs but this had a €10 cover charge so went anyway and there was a band on that my mother would have loved, not something a hen party of twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings would ever be interested in, so we gave up and just left the Hotel in search of somewhere better, this is where it gets interesting...We got back at 2am or so and climbed into bed, well, we tried, while I tried to stand up on the bath to close the very high up window because it was freezing and there was no heating on in the room, or no controls on the radiator (that had a bed pushed up to it anyway) my friend was climbing into her bed and found a toenail clipping, she ran into the bathroom and told me, i started laughing, thinking she was messing because the place was like Fawlty Towers, but no, it was true, we pulled back the rest of the sheet and found another toenail clipping and pubic hairs! At this stage we were just sickened and my friend rang reception, the night porter came straight up to move us to another room. He wouldnt look at the bed, it was like he wasnt surprised... Anyway we were moved to another room straight out of the seventies but with a nicer bathroom (well, it was a white suite) But this room had black mould and damp all over the ceiling... We were nearly crying at this stage, my friend is asthmatic and there was no way she could sleep in this room. We debated for a while on what to do because we didnt think there was going to be any better on offer in this Hotel so we went back to the first room and I slept on top of the sheets and covers with my Coat and the damp towels we had brought with us and used, to say I was freezing is a huge understatement. The next morning was worse as after so little sleep and being so cold I just wanted to leave straightaway, I couldn't even have a shower I was so cold. Anyway we packed up and went for breakfast and were waiting to be served when a couple that werent staying in the Hotel but were having breakfast walked in and the Lady behind the counter ignored us (who were next) and went over to them and had a conversation, myself and my friend were shocked at this, We both work in the service industry and would never DREAM of treating paying customers like that, it was incredibly rude. When we went to check out we mentioned what happened the night before to the receptionist (Miss Smiley 2011) and she snapped 'yeah I have that here' That was it, no eye contact never mind an apology. This was the straw that broke the camels back, I know Hen parties are terrorising Hotels and their staff up and down the country but I can assure you, we couldnt be farther from that sterotypical image. There was just absolutely no excuse for it. We asked to speak to the manager and she just said 'that's him there', WE had to call him, she couldn't even offer us that courtesy. Anyway the manager again didn't offer us any apology, just said 'That doesn't happen, the beds get changed' I said I'm sure the beds get changed but THIS bed wasn't and would he like to see some pictures? He said No, why would you take pictures?' I said to show you and maybe I'll put them on TripAdvisor and warn people about this place. And he said with a smirk 'Do what you want'... I was so annoyed at this stage so my friend took over and asked him what he would do to make sure this wouldn't happen again and he again said 'the beds get changed' Now to me, that was saying he didnt believe us and wouldn't change a single thing to ensure this doesn't happen to future guests at this Hotel. The excuse he gave us about the mould on the ceiling in the 2nd room was 'The bad weather we had. it's a flat roof' THAT WAS IT!! Nothing about what he was doing about it, the bad weather has been and gone almost two months now!! The Country is in a Recession and we are relying on Tourism and these people are just ruining the hospitality industry. The room was €40 pps, which we didn't pay, there has to be better out there for that. This Hotel has to be seen to be believed. Shocking.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank serena1982
Reviewed February 21, 2011

we stayed here for a weekend and i have to say that despite the lovely photos on their website we were a little disappointed. The rooms are very old-fashioned, ours looked like it hadn't been decorated since the place opened, the bathroom was a bit of a disaster...the toliet was filthy looking and was really close to the bathroom door so that if you had the misfortune to be on or near the loo when anyone youre with comes into use the room you will get hit by the door as it opens. The shower was freezing despite trying to adjust the temperature controls many times, and if you are any taller than five foot five you would have to actually crouch down to get your head under the shower nozzle!! the extractor fan in the bathroom is probably the noisiest thing i'd heard in a long time ( that was until the music from the bar got so loud it actually made the paintings in our room reverberate off the walls!!) The wardrobe if you could call it that was really close to the room door and although this in itself isnt a problem, i did have a problem with the fact that the wardrobe didnt have a door and it was way too easy to get hit by stuff (pillows, ironing board, iron!) as you walked past it to leave.... We had heard that the food was lovely in the restaurant so we decided to have our dinner there on the first night we arrived. The food is nice but not worth what we were charged. We ordered mushrooms with dinner which we never received and although the waiter assured us that there was really no need to order a side order of potatoes with dinner as there would be plenty on the plate, we would have needed a microscope to find them once we realised they were under our steaks, fine if you arent that hungry but don't expect a decent size portion as standard. Probably the worst thing about our stay was despite having printed confirmation to prove otherwise, the hotel were under the impression that we had only booked for one night and had double booked our room for the second day, this came as a bit of a surprise to us when I about to embark on a shower only to have a strange man with suitcase open your door and come straight into what he legitimately believed was his room for the night... shocks all round! When we raised this with the hotel staff, they didnt seem too bothered (maybe it happens a fair bit) and even disputed that we hadnt actually booked for two nights (we had - and i could prove it) all in all, it wasn't really worth what we paid for it and my advice would be to go somewhere else as there are plenty of more modern places to stay which are also right in the centre of the town.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lizpotts1
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We checked into the Greville Arms Hotel by a very friendly receptionist who was very helpful & informed us about the free hotel carpark. Our room was only newly renovated, lovely, clean, fresh & bright. The hotel had entertainment on both nights in the hotel bar, which was really enjoyable. We choose to eat in James Joyce Restaurant on the second night & the food was that of a 5star restaurant! We couldnt fault the food,service or staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2011

For the price of the room it is probably one of the worst I have ever stayed in.
Smelly grubby carpets, ithcy old blankets on the beds, wardrobe doors with exposed chipboard, ancient "avocado" bathroom suite with old aluminium windows which have no insulation. No lift, narrow staircase, inadequate car parking spaces

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Belle3976
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We all had a wonderful time There was good music and fun on both nights.
Only little problem is that the hotel has a lot of steps and no lift also some of the stairs are badly lit.This was not a problem but it would not be suitable for anyone with special needs.
I have to give special mention to the wonderful staff as the were most helpful...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family