“Angels & Demons”

Ranked #12 of 79 Restaurants in Mullingar
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Nestled amid magnificent parkland, the Stirrup and Reel Bar at Bloomfield House Hotel offers the perfect escape with its combination of traditional Irish hospitality, friendly staff, good food and modern facilities. The bar has been in operation for the past 34 years. The Stirrup and Reel Bar has retained a relax atmosphere and elegance, with original marble open fireplaces makes guests feel right at home. The decor reflects the surrounding landscape and the traditional sporting pursuits available locally. The large windows enhance the stunning and beautiful views of Lough Ennell and the meadows and parkland that surround Bloomfield House Hotel. From a coffee with family, a drink with friends to a brandy with business colleagues, the Stirrup and Reel Bar invites you to sit back and relax. A seasonal delight, curl up by the open fires with a hot whiskey on those cold winter evenings, take in the fresh country air with a spring walk to the lake followed by a pint of the black stuff. Enjoy an al fresco summer lunch accompanied with lake views in the outdoor seating area or Wine and Dinner overlooking the changing countryside as the Autumn leaves begin to fall. The Carvery, every lunchtime offers a wide selection of hot main course, Homemade soups, salads and a range of choices for all the made to order sandwiches and paninis. Our Bar food menu is served throughout the afternoon in to late evening, serving a wide variety of starters, main courses and desserts. Also on site are 8 Conference and Banqueting Suites, The Charles Brinsley Restaurant, Bloomfield Spa & Laser Clinic and a Leisure Club with a 20-metre deck level pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam room and air-conditioned gym. Take advantage of the complimentary Wi-Fi. Entertainment is on offer every weekend and at Holiday times. The bar is wheelchair accessible.
D18
“Angels & Demons”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just back from one of those experiences. I had eaten here a few weeks back and had one of the most pleasant evenings in the area. Now, I wasn't expecting afternoon tea in the Dorchester but decided to bring my mother here tonight and wished I’d kept my mouth shut now. Our waitress kept interrupting when we were placing our order.

SHUT UP AND WRITE OUR REQUEST INTO YOUR NOTEPAD!!

The fact that this was such a basic order added insult to injury to the whole affair. We didn’t order any complex fare just some simple toasted sandwiches, onion rings and some coffees. What could go wrong, right?

Well, I’m glad you’ve asked…
The sandwiches arrived, one was perfect the other without one of the fillings requested. I had a feeling this would happen as the waitress was busy chatting when the order was being placed. The coffees then arrived some time later but no sign of the onion rings. I reminded the waitress that I was awaiting the arrival of them and here’s where the fun began.

She waddled off and came back about 5 minutes later with a few scaldy looking onion rings in a veg dish. (They were previously served in an impressive display basket). The term ‘swimming in oil’ does not do justice to the culinary disaster presented to me. I couldn’t believe any self- respecting chef would allow such an abomination leave his kitchen. I still don’t. It doesn’t take a molecular gastronomist to make onion rings and a toastie. The only logical explanation was that the waitress forgot to take the onion rings from the pass, panicked and refried them when the chef wasn’t looking. Double and triple frying chips may be the latest trend by Heston Blumenthal wannabees but please don’t do this to onion rings. I offered one to my mother (I’m good like that) and she winced in disgust. Completely inedible.

THIS IS THE EASY STUFF FOLKS!!!

It took one of her colleagues to rectify the matter as she seemed to disappear after serving our order. Thankfully her colleague had more cop on and listened intently as we walked her through the evenings mishaps. This was textbook exceptional customer service as she recounted events, offered a solution and delivered an alternative. Faith in the Irish hospitality industry restored. As we were leaving we saw one of the most impressive burgers being served to an adjoining table. We will be back, eventually, but will choose our server more carefully.

7 Thank BaronCotter

Dublin, Ireland
“Lunch group of 34 ladies”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our Ladies Society had a fabulous lunch in the Bloomfield House Hotel yesterday. The food was delicious and excellent value - 3 courses with tea/coffee for 22 euros. Even though there were many confirmations having lunch in the main restaurant and bar areas, the kitchen still managed to produce a really excellent meal for our goup of 34. There was not one complaint and everyone was singing the praises of the staff and the food. The view of the lake from the restaurant (we were in the conservatory area) is beautiful. There are doors leading to the garden and a path which brings you down to the lake, should you wish to walk off the lunch. Joanne had even organised personalized menus for our group which were very tastefully done. I would really recommend the hotel for a day out. We really enjoyed it.

1 Thank girlshavinfun
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent for sandwich lunch on a busy Saturday in May”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Family group and I stopped here for lunch in May 2012, breaking our journey from Galway to Dundalk. We knew where we were going when we turned off the main road, but a few extra signs on the road to confirm we were heading in the right direction would have been reassuring

Despite at least one wedding going on in the hotel, and numerous families with their children fresh from making their first Holy Communion, service in the carvery section of the bar was prompt, and the food was good, fresh and plentiful, even at 2pm.

The venue was catering for a wide variety of groups, and it looked like everyone felt welcome. I would definitely come back.

1 Thank Pauline R