Newbury Hotel
$84
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsstayed herefree wifilovely friendly stafflovely hotelbreakfast was includedfriday nightgarvanbarireland
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband and I decided to go away for the bank holiday weekend to Mullingar as we hadn't been before, we booked into The Newbury based on a recommendation and I must say I was very impressed. The hotel was lovely, very clean, the staff were particularly friendly which I don’t find in most hotels. All of our meals were top class and I will certainly be paying another visit very soon. Also the location is perfect very central!

Room Tip: The new part of the hotel is beautiful - loved the interior!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cliona M
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at the Newbury Hotel with some friends, and was taken aback by the cold reception I got on check in. I was surprised that the receptionist demanded I pay in advance for the room. Most hotels take a security swipe of a card, and payment the following day. In any case I paid, and that was fine.

The room was spacious and adequate, and the bed was comfortable. As I have a bad back, I did appreciate the nice firm mattress. The lady I was sharing with did find a hair in her bed, which I removed and put in the bin.

The carpark is small, and the spaces are tight to get into, so I opted to use the public car park just down the road.

There was a problem with the hotel, and some confusion over the number of rooms booked. It eventually got sorted out, but only after one of our party threatened that we would all leave.

What surprised me at this point was the fact that the manager/ proprietor made no appearance. (he was having a pint, and watching from an alcove just the other side of reception.) This is my first ever experience of making a complaint in a hotel when none of the management made themselves available. While I appreciate that all staff require breaks, I found the lack of management involvement surprising and disappointing.

The location of the hotel is good, right near the centre of Mullingar. I had a room downstairs facing onto the car park. I didn't hear trains passing by, but there again, I am a heavy sleeper and it takes a lot to wake me!

Breakfast the next morning was delicious, freshly cooked. I would personally like to see more than orange juice on offer as a cold drink, but hey, I can get over that.

I gave some feedback to the proprietor of the hotel on check out, and she apologised for the way the receptionist spoke to me.

Having read some of the management responses on this, I wish to iterate that I am not trying to be mischeivous, although I may be middle aged.

So I'm giving 3 stars as my rating. Good breakfast, good location, comfortable beds. Unfortunately loses 2 for the lack of client engagement.

5  Thank Monica H
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed here last weekend with a group of friends.
The hotel is centrally located, has a small carpark out back with tight space for about 14 cars. It's on the main street and right beside railway line so expect loud noise from trains as well as traffic. (You can see size of carpark, proximity of trainlines etc for youself on google earth)
The room was fine, dark but not too dated. I was very disappointed to find hairs in my bed when i pulled back the covers. Yuck! Bathroom was nice and clean. Tv only had 3 or 4 fuzzy channels so fairly useless.
Breakfast was fine and the server was pleasant and helpful.
The chinese restaurant under the hotel was also nice.

What let this hotel down for me was the reception staff. When I arrived to check in, the man said he couldnt find our booking, but let me go ahead and pay for a room. When I met with my group, I found that all our rooms had already been paid for. So we told the receptionist, this time a woman, that I'd been charged for an extra room. They didn't care. Even though it was their mistake, (she showed us the printout of our booking) they wanted US to pay for an extra room! After a LOT of unpleasant discussion, it was sorted out.
I also saw the same man shout at a child who was playing around in the reception. Luckily for the man, the child was not mine.

Overall, the hotel was fine, but expensive, for 3 star. Just don't expect a warm recepton!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Louise_M3
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed at this 'hotel' at the weekend. The manager apparently had an issue with members of the staff helping me to start my car?? My car wouldn't start - It has been acting up past few weeks. No one helped me to start it though - It took a few minutes but I got it started myself. Anyway - So what if a staff member did assist me?!.
I have also just been informed that the manager has been calling the group I was with 'middle aged' - I am 29, I shared a room with a friend who is 26, and my friend who's hen it was is 28!!
What is any of this about?! Why on earth would a so called professional hotel publicly defame its customers and make up a bunch of lies?
Very bad form.
I wasn't going to say a thing about the poor service, the filth of my bathroom, and the fact that I had to pay 15e more than I was quoted, but well now I have changed my mind!
This is not only a hotel that I will not be recommending, but I will be actively warning people against!

Room Tip: Don't chose a room on the main street as you will be kept awake from the noise level.
15  Thank Niamh M
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I booked this hotel for myself and a few friends who live out of town for my hen night. We chose this hotel purely because there was nowhere else available to us having left the booking to short notice. I had already heard it wasn't a great place to stay from many people (I am from Mullingar) and I should have listened!

I made the booked for 7 people. One triple room and 2 double rooms. I rang to confirm this twice between the time of booking at the date of my hen. More of my friends then added to this booking by booking 2 more rooms. However, when 2 members of the original party of 7 arrived to check in they were charged €120 and €95 separately....for the same room! When we pointed out the mistake to the receptionist (who was rarely seen at her desk during our stay) she tried to tell me it was MY mistake (why I would book them into separate rooms is beyond me) and refused to give a refund until I threatened that all 10 of us would leave. Amazingly when I said that, the overcharge was refunded immediately after 10 minutes of arguing beforehand. The receptionist had no manners and should not be in the hospitality industry.

The car park is ridiculous. Guests should be warned before they stay that they will not find ample parking.

The only saving grace was the breakfast, which was nice.

I see from replies to reviews from other members of my party here on trip advisor that the management have called me 'middle-aged' (I am 28), a liar (I have more to be at now than making up false reviews), and said my card was declined, a lie.

All in all, a bad experience. Plenty of fab (CHEAPER) hotels in Mullingar to choose from, don't make the mistake of choosing this one. The chinese restaurant downstairs however is fab!

Room Tip: Annebrook hotel, Bloomfield hotel, Greville arms, Mullingar Park.. book any of these instead.
14  Thank Laura S