“Service needs improvement”
Review of Newbury Hotel

Newbury Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at the Newbury Hotel with some friends, and was taken aback by the cold reception I got on check in. I was surprised that the receptionist demanded I pay in advance for the room. Most hotels take a security swipe of a card, and payment the following day. In any case I paid, and that was fine.

The room was spacious and adequate, and the bed was comfortable. As I have a bad back, I did appreciate the nice firm mattress. The lady I was sharing with did find a hair in her bed, which I removed and put in the bin.

The carpark is small, and the spaces are tight to get into, so I opted to use the public car park just down the road.

There was a problem with the hotel, and some confusion over the number of rooms booked. It eventually got sorted out, but only after one of our party threatened that we would all leave.

What surprised me at this point was the fact that the manager/ proprietor made no appearance. (he was having a pint, and watching from an alcove just the other side of reception.) This is my first ever experience of making a complaint in a hotel when none of the management made themselves available. While I appreciate that all staff require breaks, I found the lack of management involvement surprising and disappointing.

The location of the hotel is good, right near the centre of Mullingar. I had a room downstairs facing onto the car park. I didn't hear trains passing by, but there again, I am a heavy sleeper and it takes a lot to wake me!

Breakfast the next morning was delicious, freshly cooked. I would personally like to see more than orange juice on offer as a cold drink, but hey, I can get over that.

I gave some feedback to the proprietor of the hotel on check out, and she apologised for the way the receptionist spoke to me.

Having read some of the management responses on this, I wish to iterate that I am not trying to be mischeivous, although I may be middle aged.

So I'm giving 3 stars as my rating. Good breakfast, good location, comfortable beds. Unfortunately loses 2 for the lack of client engagement.

5  Thank Monica H

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed here last weekend with a group of friends.
The hotel is centrally located, has a small carpark out back with tight space for about 14 cars. It's on the main street and right beside railway line so expect loud noise from trains as well as traffic. (You can see size of carpark, proximity of trainlines etc for youself on google earth)
The room was fine, dark but not too dated. I was very disappointed to find hairs in my bed when i pulled back the covers. Yuck! Bathroom was nice and clean. Tv only had 3 or 4 fuzzy channels so fairly useless.
Breakfast was fine and the server was pleasant and helpful.
The chinese restaurant under the hotel was also nice.

What let this hotel down for me was the reception staff. When I arrived to check in, the man said he couldnt find our booking, but let me go ahead and pay for a room. When I met with my group, I found that all our rooms had already been paid for. So we told the receptionist, this time a woman, that I'd been charged for an extra room. They didn't care. Even though it was their mistake, (she showed us the printout of our booking) they wanted US to pay for an extra room! After a LOT of unpleasant discussion, it was sorted out.
I also saw the same man shout at a child who was playing around in the reception. Luckily for the man, the child was not mine.

Overall, the hotel was fine, but expensive, for 3 star. Just don't expect a warm recepton!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Louise_M3
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed at this 'hotel' at the weekend. The manager apparently had an issue with members of the staff helping me to start my car?? My car wouldn't start - It has been acting up past few weeks. No one helped me to start it though - It took a few minutes but I got it started myself. Anyway - So what if a staff member did assist me?!.
I have also just been informed that the manager has been calling the group I was with 'middle aged' - I am 29, I shared a room with a friend who is 26, and my friend who's hen it was is 28!!
What is any of this about?! Why on earth would a so called professional hotel publicly defame its customers and make up a bunch of lies?
Very bad form.
I wasn't going to say a thing about the poor service, the filth of my bathroom, and the fact that I had to pay 15e more than I was quoted, but well now I have changed my mind!
This is not only a hotel that I will not be recommending, but I will be actively warning people against!

Room Tip: Don't chose a room on the main street as you will be kept awake from the noise level.
14  Thank Niamh M
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I booked this hotel for myself and a few friends who live out of town for my hen night. We chose this hotel purely because there was nowhere else available to us having left the booking to short notice. I had already heard it wasn't a great place to stay from many people (I am from Mullingar) and I should have listened!

I made the booked for 7 people. One triple room and 2 double rooms. I rang to confirm this twice between the time of booking at the date of my hen. More of my friends then added to this booking by booking 2 more rooms. However, when 2 members of the original party of 7 arrived to check in they were charged €120 and €95 separately....for the same room! When we pointed out the mistake to the receptionist (who was rarely seen at her desk during our stay) she tried to tell me it was MY mistake (why I would book them into separate rooms is beyond me) and refused to give a refund until I threatened that all 10 of us would leave. Amazingly when I said that, the overcharge was refunded immediately after 10 minutes of arguing beforehand. The receptionist had no manners and should not be in the hospitality industry.

The car park is ridiculous. Guests should be warned before they stay that they will not find ample parking.

The only saving grace was the breakfast, which was nice.

I see from replies to reviews from other members of my party here on trip advisor that the management have called me 'middle-aged' (I am 28), a liar (I have more to be at now than making up false reviews), and said my card was declined, a lie.

All in all, a bad experience. Plenty of fab (CHEAPER) hotels in Mullingar to choose from, don't make the mistake of choosing this one. The chinese restaurant downstairs however is fab!

Room Tip: Annebrook hotel, Bloomfield hotel, Greville arms, Mullingar Park.. book any of these instead.
13  Thank Laura S
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We are a group of 6 girl friends who first met at work many moons ago. Our friendship is nearly 30 years old and we have celebrated it every year for the last 10 years by treating ourselves to a nice night away in different parts of the country. This year we decided on Mullingar and to stay in the Newbury Hotel. Four of us went by train because the station is less than 2 minutes from the hotel and we were able to relax, the other 2 girls drove and were able to park their car in the hotel car park free of charge.
The hotel is in the middle of Mullingar so central to all the amenities including pubs and restaurants, some lovely shops too which the receptionist had told us about. We booked directly with the hotel and got a great rate for 3 double bedrooms. All of the rooms were lovely very tastefully done and spotlessly clean. I appreciated the tea and coffee facilities in the room as I like my early morning cuppa, however two of the girls are night owls and missed breakfast but were very impressed when they were told they could have it late. They have said they would come back for that alone but all of us are looking forward to staying again because of the whole package...the central location, lovely rooms, great breakfasts, nice bar with friendly and helpful service and of course the price! If you are looking for a decent hotel with honest to goodness service look no further - it's simply the best!

Room Tip: Train station is less than 2 mins from hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank caroline D
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel for the weekend with my family. Our rate was excellent, including a lovely freshly made fry the next morning. Staff were so helpful and friendly, recommending places for us to go and offering us an all-day breakfast (especially handy for the kids). Our room was recently renovated and absolutely spotless. Great centre of town location. Next time I return to mullingar I will definitely be staying here, and would highly recommend it to all!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Hannah R
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel itself was fine. The car park was a joke as you couldnt park there as there is only about enough space for 10 cars...for a 30 bed hotel???? The receptionist was a disgrace, however on meeting the owner (after making a complaint), I can see she was trained by the master. Telling me that she (the receptionist) was foreign isnt an acceptable reason for poor customer care.
I found both owners of the establishement were rude to guests, unless they thought they were some form of VIP's. Going as far as calling a customer a liar is just bad form as far as Im concerned. I would never stay there again. The price of the rooms were outrageous. Overall I was highly disappointed on the hotel.Would NOT recommend!

4  Thank Galgal2014
MullingarClara48, Owner at Newbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

The reviewer here was one of a group of 12 middle aged ladies that initially made a reservation through Booking.com, and because their payment guarantee chosen by them was not acceptable to the hotel, they then chose to book directly. On arrival only 10 ladies showed up, ( we lost out on the sale of one room ) one lady demanded that she be given a room all to herself at a single rate, and the rest of the group decided to all talk at the same time to our very patient Receptionist, whilst threatening to leave if all of their demands were not met. We did our best with all of the ladies, even helping one lady on Sunday to start her car that had a flat battery, and then posting various plugs and phone chargers etc that were left by these ladies in the rooms, to their homes this week. It is very mischievous indeed to post an incorrect review of any hotel, but I suppose readers of the various reviews of The Newbury Hotel on TripAdvisor give our future guests a fair and balanced overview of the Hotel, its staff and indeed ourselves the owners.
Our FREE car park accommodates 23 cars, and we operate on a 1st come 1st served basis.
Garvan McGinley, Proprietor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Annebrook House Hotel
#5 of 6 in Mullingar
Creggan Court
Creggan Court
#8 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Newbury Hotel? Share your experiences!