“DONOGHUE`S RECOMMENED”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Mazarron, Spain
“DONOGHUE`S RECOMMENED”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Blessing in disguise,recent business trip to Ireland, travelling from Spain, we normally stay in the town of Mullingar,where we would usually stay in a certain Hotel, which had been booked up this trip.We where directed to the Newbury,having never stayed before,we were anxious as to what it would be like.We have got used to our home comforts over the years, and we have expectations as to what a Hotel room should be like.We flew into Dublin 12 midnight, picked up rented car, drove to Mullingar arrived at the Newbury (2am) rang the bell.the door opened and we were met by a charming man who guided us to the residents car park,we went to our room, having left Spain at 24c and arriving in Mullingar at 6c, we were frozen to the bone, our bedroom was so warm and inviting, great big bed where my husband and I just wanted to flop into.When we awoke the next morning we were greeted by Jack Frost which was a far cry from Southern Spain.went down to breakfast which there was every kind cereal, fruit,juice etc.we where greeted by lovely friendly staff who offered us full Irish breakfast, which was gladly accepted(delicious) by the way great porridge.,with a free daily paper to read.throughout our stay we where treated like v.i.p`s. this hotel is a family run business and you can tell that,the owners are always there looking after your every need, from now on when we stay in Mullingar it will be at the Newbury and we shall be recommending it to all our friends who visited Ireland.By the way when we where leaving we where given a present of a loaf of homemade Irish bread, which has long since been eaten, can`t wait for the next time.Oh yes for you intended visitors there is a lift and it is very wheelchair friendly which is a must for people who may not be so young and active.great Location for public transport,trains,buses,taxi`s.thank you for a great stay.....adios hasa luego

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Pauline D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Belfast
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this hotel using Booking.com for the night of 8th Sep 2012 but I did not stay because a friend double booked me. I made the booking at 12:15 on 7th Sep 2012. The booking confirmation advised me that I had until 13:15 to cancel the booking. shortly after completing the transaction on Booking.com I found out my friend had booked into another hotel. I therefore cancelled this booking at 12:35 but was advised on the Booking.com cancellation confirmation email that I would still have to pay the full amount €59.00.
I contacted Booking.com custoomer service who advised me that they had contacted the Newbury Hotel and that it was correct that I pay the €59.
On Sun 9th Sep 2012 I called into the Newbury Hotel and spoke to the lady on reception and explained my case to her. No problem she said - I'm the owner. She asked me my name checked the booking system and confirmed that Booking.com had taken the money from my Credit Card. The owner then immediately refunded the €59 back to my credit card account without any further hazzle.
Now that was, in my opinion, a great example of first class customer service. So Thank You Mairead for being so understanding, helpful and nice about dealing with my double booking.

Room Tip: Don't use Booking.com - phone or email Mairead at the hotel direct.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank NornIronMan
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have eaten in the Bar at the ~Newburiy Hotel in the past and although fairly average it was always OK 'bar food'.
Went back recently and had a very different experience.
Firstly Service was good. Place was clean and staff helpful.

Menu was very poor - no carvery - or Roast dinners. The rest of the menu is basic - paninis, baguets. There are some hot lunches. But the stew we had 3 pieces of meat and a lot of watery stew, plaice in bread crumbs was overdone and more bredded crumbs than fish - very little once opened up.
Tuna wrap with chips - I thought this would be fairly safe, but the wrap looked like something out of weight watchers - very small - not much tuna in it. I could get on with this but the prices I thought were pretty high.

So all in all the bar food was very dissapointing and gone down hill in my view.

Staff were good, and this is not a reflection on the hotel accomodation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Joelikesvisiting
Dublin
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We spent one night at the Newbury Hotel and were delighted with our choice. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Our bedroom was very spacious, bright and clean. Private parking to the rear of the hotel, very reasonable prices and a late checkout also added to the very positive experience. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlroDub
Belfast
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed in the Newbury Hotel for my stag party in April 2012 - as part of a 18-man group and I must say that every member of our group could not speak highly enough of the wonderful welcome that we received, excellent food and well-presented rooms. The hotel manager, Garvan was particularly helpful, efficient and well-organised. Last but certainly not least - the wonderful breakfast that we received the following morning but really appreciated - after a hard night of partying in the town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BelfastKeeno
Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stayed for one night in a twin room. Center of town. Beside train station. Room well presented, very clean and well equiped. Bath/shower excellent. Linen, towels very clean. Comfy warm beds. Good breakfast which was in the bar - a not very appealing setting. Only complaint was the smell of cooking from the chineese resturant in the basement of the hotel, it seemed to get everywhere! Overall satisfied with this hotel and the service. Very good value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ballyb100
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Spent the night in the Newbury on the way to a Triathlon, rooms were simple with everything you need and immaculately clean and presented. Had to leave early in the morning and they very kindly offered and left out a continental breakfast for us to have at 6 am. Excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank owall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Annebrook House Hotel
Crookedwood House
Crookedwood House
#5 of 6 in Mullingar
Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Newbury Hotel? Share your experiences!