2,050 results
All reviewstasting menumichelin starmichelin restaurantoutdoor jacuzzicliff walkbar restaurantardmore baystunning locationmain restaurantspecial treatrelaxation roomspa facilitiesoverlooking the seathe general managertop classamazing hotelterrace suite
Reviewed June 19, 2011

"Home in a Hotel"! My partner has worked in 5star hotels for almost 10yrs & currently still does. He feels this is one of the best hotels in Ireland, if not the best. This was our first visit to The Cliff House & we are now already planning to return in 2 weeks time!

We were upgraded to our room on arrival at the Hotel. The Suite was absolutely beautiful & we had 2 separate terraces overlooking the sea. The room was divided by a free standing wall between the bedroom & sitting room area. There were 2 tvs & 2 fireplaces on either side of this wall & a mini library on the end. The view from our room was really so beautiful. I have trouble sleeping in most places away from home & never rest in hotels. I expected this visit to be the same but I slept through & had a rested sleep.

The room was very prettily furnished & felt like a luxury cottage with the bedroom door resembling something of that from a castle! Very special place with a wonderful craft shop just a short walk from the hotel, 'Ardmore Pottery', with great handmade soaps! You are practically right on the beach, which is extrememly clean & private. We are a young couple under 30yrs old & neither of us drink so we cannot comment on pubs to socialise in...Plus our room & beach mesmerised us so much we had no intention of venturing past them!

This hotel really is an artists/writers dream stay! Never experienced anything close to the served breakfast! Food is mouthwatering & local & healthy! Oh & the real treat...you can walk out a back door of the hotel& straight into a rock pool for swimming in the sea! Breathtaking!

Less than a week after we returned home, the hotel sent us a postcard to send thought that they hoped we enjoyed our stay & to offer a complimentary upgrade for us or friends/family on next visit to hotel. I thought this was a really nice touch & something I haven't seen from other hotels. We had our stay 2nd & 3rd June & I wanted to return the follwing week. For now I'm counting down the days & think the next 2 weeks won't come quick enough!

Room Tip: Room 32!!!! :-)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FizpatrickWhelan
Bottler1984, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear FitzpatrickWhelan

Thanks for your great review - I thought my reply had been posted but obviuosly not - a year later!

Love your photos too.

Hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband and I took his colleagues for afternoon tea here. The weather and the view were the only positive parts of the experience and it was nothing short of embarassing for us as we had recommended it highly. We weren't met to be seated but didn't mind and found a table ourselves; we waited about 20 minutues until we finally got someone's attention; we weren't offered a menu but had waited so long that we just got the basics rather than risk another delay; the scones were tasteless, even the tea was awful, only those who ordered wine didn't feel aggrieved. The table was cleared without any further acknowledgement, so any chance to rectify the bad service was missed. To top it off, the ladies toilets were in a state. I waited patiently afterward to speak to Adriaan Bartels, General Manager who, whilst very pleasant, justified the quality of the tea on the basis that the hotel didn't like to filter the water. It's a shame given that we might have to rely heavily on tourism in the coming years that we are let down by those who have survived the recession. Luigis in Youghal the next day served homemade scones, with great coffee and and pleasant, attentive service, far more in line with what you would expect from 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Corklocal_11
Management response:Responded June 16, 2011

Dear corklocal_11

Thank you for taking the time to write your review but more importantly I am glad that you made a point of talking to me personally during your recent visit. It is always preferable to deal with comments face to face. Of course it was very disappointing that your experience wasn't as enjoyable as the last time you visited us.

We have rectified the issue of the loos and this won't happen again.

We make our scones fresh several times a day depending on how busy we are and the recipe hasn't changed since we opened so not sure if this was just a dud batch or a question of personal taste.

As I explained to you the tea is sadly something we can do little about. Our water supply is hard and in order to soften it we use salt to filter it so that it does not corrode our system e.g. pumps, showers, washing machines etc. If we use this filtered water to make tea then it would taste of salt. We therefore have to use the unfiltered hard water to make our tea which sometimes, depending on the hardness of the water leaves the residue (limescale) which although looks unsightly does not actually affect the taste of the tea. I drink a cup every day myself and I can attest to that.

I hope that helps answer your issues and hopefully help restore your confidence in us for perhaps a future visit as we fully intend to survive the recession.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Wonderful location, lovely rooms very friendly staff. What a pity it was so foggy the potentially fantastic view was not visible on the evening of our visit.
we were disappointed with breakfast, the presentation of my eggs benedict left a lot to be desired. Dinner was pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 15, 2011

Dear ogrady22

Thank you for your review.

Sorry about the eggs benedict for breakfast - these are not normally on our breakfast menu so maybe we are out of practice!

Reviewed June 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Cliff house hotel for our anniversary
last month. We were met at the reception by Adriaan the manager
and greeted by the very friendly reception staff who showed us to our room.
The view over the bay was amazing and the room was finished to a very high
standard. That was only the start. When we went down for dinner, we were
again welcomed by Adriaan who knew us by name. The food itself was fantastic
and fully deserving of its 5-star status. We would have no difficulty recommending
this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank joerobb
Management response:Responded June 15, 2011

Dear joerobb

Thank you for your very kind review. It was a pleasure looking after you and I am glad that you enjoyed your special celebration.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2011

I spent a few days in this lovely little hotel in Waterford recently on a trip to Ireland's South East. I was v. pleasantly surprised at the high standard as Id hardly heard of this hotel before. Each room is individually decorated with natural fabrics. The attention to detail is great. Lovely short cliff walks to nearby monastic settlement, quaint shops nearby etc. The formal dining room which has a michelin star is very pleasant if a bit expensive and fussy. Weather was poor when we were there but I expect this would be a truly fab place when the sun is shining.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea View - breathtaking.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pathamill65
Management response:Responded June 10, 2011

Dear lark1948

Thanks for your very kind words - delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Ardmore and your time in the hotel. Look forward to welcoming you all back.