“Quality”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Dined here in Sat evening, food was top class...pricier than your run of the mill restaurant but you get what you are paying for here...this is not run of the mill! Couldn't find any faults with the experience...will be back for sure!

1  Thank Con379

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I was lucky enough to be taken here on a date by my lovely hubby recently. We had a very nice evening reliving our very first date (in the same establishment) but I couldn't help but notice the price difference since our first visit. There was only 1 starter under €10 and that was vegetable soup.. Now I like a bowl of veggie soup as much as anyone, but fine dining it ain't. We both opted for deep fried Brie with a side salad and red onion jam. It was... Nice. Not amazing. Two smallish pieces of cheese & a nice salad with a lovely dressing, with a tiny portion of the red onion jam. For €11, I thought it would have delivered more. A serious profit margin! For mains, I went for crispy half duckling in orange & kumquat sauce, hubby went for surf 'n turf. Both mains were very generous, plus we got fries, roast potatoes & two dishes of delicious veg. But at €26 and €30 apiece, no more than you'd expect. The White Horses' desserts are legendary and we did well to finish our lemon tart (mine) and Mississippi mud pie (his). With 3 glasses of house red (very drinkable) the bill came to €110 before a tip. I think this is too much. I'm not complaining too much as I was treated to the meal, but put it this way - I won't be suggesting it as a venue for a meal with family or friends anytime soon. The cheapest main course (the vegetarian option) was €22. Dublin prices in a tiny Waterford village. Maybe we can blame the Cliff House hotel for raising the expectation of what people will pay.

2  Thank EmP0wer
Reviewed November 6, 2012

had lunch here while waiting to keep in to cliff house hotel. Lovely food, great comfort food, and well made with very good ingredients, lovely decor and surroundings.However i did feel its was a little pricey for the type for food on offer

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We happened upon White Horses when we were staying in Ardmore in November. When we entered the restaurant (very nicely decorated and comfortable, by the way), we were told that it was a €28 per person Sunday set menu. We did not want three courses as we were eating later at our hotel.
We asked if we could have a starter from the menu and the proprietor had no problem with this. Indeed, another 3 diners asked if they could just have dessert and once again this was not a problem.

The set menu is compact but varied and I liked everything on it. A wide range of delicious desserts are visible in a glass case by the counter and I stared longlingly as I waited for my food.
I ordered the Avocado pear with crab meat. My wife ordered Turkey a la creme.
The former was half a ripe avocado pear stuffed with delicious crab meat and the latter came in a light vol au vent case. Both dishes had a little lightly dressed salad accompanying and a large plate of very good brown bread was also provided.
The two starters were sufficient as a light lunch bite, but I am definitely returning to try out the full 3 course Sunday lunch menu, sooner rather than later.

My only crib really was that it was rather expensive and had we been able to manage the full 3 course it would have been better value. It cost €36 for 2 starters, 2 glasses white wine and one cup of coffee. Lets assume the 2 wines cost €12 and the coffee €3, then each of our starters cost us €10.50 which was just a wee bit OTT.

However it would not stop me returning to this lovely find in pretty Ardmore, County Waterford.

1  Thank Bryno
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic food, great wine list, friendly staff, lovely atmosphere - make sure to keep room for the desserts!!