“Underwhelming”

Cliff House Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Ardmore
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Reviewed August 26, 2012

One of the very off the beaten track Michelin Starred restaurants in Ireland so needless to say I was pretty excited about making a trip last week. I was in the area so took a trip to the hotel earlier that day for a coffee and to take it in. The setting is amazing, genuinely amazing, sipping a coffee on the balcony overlooking the bay was class. It set me up nicely for my trip that night.

As I like to do I arrived a little early and we were shown to our seats which was a table for 2 in the window looking out across the balcony into the bay. We were offered menus and asked if we would like still or sparking water which arrived in double quick time. We were just settling into the menu when we were served an amuse bouche which was a trio of Beetroot Macaroon with goats cheese, a mushroom panacotta with dried capers, and a mini choux pastry filled with butternut squash puree. The macaroon was class, the choux ok, the panacotta was interesting with a lingering aftertaste which you could love or hate depending on your love of mushrooms.

I felt the menu was pretty limited, we had a choice of 5 starters, 5 main courses and 5 deserts and rather disappointingly the menu included fillet steak on the main course which I felt was a little lazy. We opted for the matching wines with our dinner and it was interesting even if I thought he was a little light with what he put in my glass on more than one occasion.
For starter I had duck which was pretty much a roll of duck breast, a roulade of duck leg wrapped in cherry jelly, duck popcorn, a deep fried cherry, freeze dried cherries and a chargrilled spring onion. It seemed to have a dressing consisting of olive oil base with hints of lemon and cherry? The other half had smoked salmon which was pretty much smoked salmon with beetroot, salmon caviar and it was served with a dome of smoke that was lifted and diffused for additional effect upon delivery. In short my duck was decidedly average. The presentation was in keeping with what you would expect but either my taste buds were dead or the food lacked any flavour. I am opting for the latter. The missus said her salmon was excellent and she really enjoyed it.

We were served a lemon sorbet with cucumber jelly and sea salt foam - this was very good and offered a glimpse of why it may have earned a star.

For main I went for the lamb dish which was rack, rump and sweetbread of lamb with a drizzle of jus, the rack had a saddle of some sort of lamb stuffing, I also think there was some sort of cauliflower puree (couldn’t be sure though) as well as a scattering of broadbeans. If I seem a little uncertain as to what I ate well that is because I was. For me dining in a restaurant like this is an experience and part of that experience is the narrative around the food, the waiter taking his time to explain the nuances of your dish to you. So when the manager of the restaurant walked up, chucked our food down and walked away without a hint of insight as to what we were going to eat I was pretty pissed off about it. The menu is not very descriptive so I expect the narrative. If you are not going to provide the narrative then put the info on the menu for me. That aside the dish was decent but lacked a bit of filler by way of veg or potatoes. My other half had veal which was served as a roulade stuffed with scallion type stuffing and it sat on some potato rosti along with some jus. She thought it was very nice but was in no way excited about it.

At this stage I felt we were left to wait some time to get desert menus, once they arrived I am absolutely certain that we were left far too long to be asked for our order. I ordered 'Pistachio' and herself ordered the selection of cheese. The sommelier arrived with the wine and had poured and explained herself' wine and was finishing pouring mine when the desert arrived. A plate of cheese along with various selections of pressed figs and homemade oat cakes and toasted brioche along with a shot of apple juice. My desert came in two parts, first I was presented with a piping hot Pistachio soufflé and then a selection of rhubarb and orange 'marmalade' which was basically a heavy set jelly topped with a sorbet. The waitress (is that PC? or are they all waiters?) then took a long spoon and pierced down through the middle of the soufflé and proceeded to pour in a cream like substance. The waitress turned to leave and I called her back and said something along the lines of 'surely you are not just going to serve that and walk off to leave us wondering what we are going to eat?'. I was wrong, turn and leave she did. She said she would return momentarily when the sommelier was finished with me (he was 10 seconds from being finished but she didn't seem interested in trying to find out). She left, he left, we ate in wonder. I don't say this lightly but it is quite possible that the pistachio soufflé element of my desert was singly the best desert I have ever eaten in my life, it was beyond brilliant. It was very heavy though and it alone was more than enough as a desert. As I was finishing the soufflé and as herself was finished with her cheese a different waiter came to our table to explain our course to us. I am pretty certain that the sommelier sent him my way but i couldn't be 100% sure on it. It turns out the cream was crème anglaise. The 2nd element of my dish did nothing for me but rhubarb isn't my thing and I was already full from the very excellent soufflé. Herself really enjoyed the cheese selection but as with my comment on serving steak I believe that serving a cheese selection for desert in a Michelin starred restaurant is a tad on the lazy side.

We ordered tea/coffee which was served sans the advertised petit fours. Tea grinds my gears - it is a luxury item but restaurants in Ireland don't get that, instead they chuck a tea bag in a pot of scaldy water and serve it up to you. I will go on a crusade to educate the Irish on tea and I will succeed. The accompanying wines were very nice and I enjoyed them all and they were certainly well matched with the food. Herself was particularly keen on her desert wine which was a sweet Spanish red, served cold. I tried it also and I concur with her findings.

Overall the food was not to the same standard as say Chapter One, the service was nowhere near the standard of Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud and at the time I summed it up by saying that if The Cliff House is deserving of one Star then Chapter One deserves a second. On reflection though I would change my mind. I honestly don't think it deserves a star. A one starred establishment is meant to be worth a stop. The service wasn't up to scratch and I was enraged by the lack of narrative on my main course, especially so as the restaurant manager served it to us. Add to this the waitress serving my desert along with the pronounced delay in ordering our desert I would have to say that the service lets this place down. The food varied widely - my starter was decidedly bland, my main was decent but not electrifying and one part of my desert was the best I ever let past my lips. Herself said she enjoyed hers but was quick to say that she would rate Neven Maguires well ahead of it. I also wonder if it is justifiable to get a Michelin Star for serving slices of cheese?

Overall it was good but very underwhelming. The setting and soufflé were the greatest redeeming features but I have eaten far better food in non starred establishments. I don’t expect that it retains its star upon next inspection. If it does the assessor will be a soufflé loving fiend who happened to call on a warm sunny evening.

The bill was €210 odd. I wouldn't be telling you to get there at any cost, I wouldn't even tell you to get their if you were in the area as you are likely to be disappointed!!

Postscrpit > I was told on the following morning that the chef who held the reins when they won the Michelin Star no longer works there. This fact remains unverified though.

1  Thank Noel H
Bottler1984, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Noel H

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of your visit to the House Restaurant. You could give the likes of Tom Doorley and Lucinda O'Sullivan a run for their money!

Your points are taken on board - the dishes should have been described to you as this is a standard. Apologies for not doing so on this occasion.

Rest assured that our Chef has not left us and indeed since your review we have retained our star.

We will be adjusting the way we present our menu in 2013 so you will see that there will be more choices available and cheese will be served as a separate optional course.

Would be great if you could try us again to see if we have improved since your last visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 7, 2012

we went to the cliff house hotel bar for lunch and it was absolutely lovely. the menu was good. the only thing was we had to ask for extra vegtables because we only got one small bowl to share, but other than that it was excellent and we will definitely return to stay for a couple of nights.

AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Philippa B

Thanks for your very kind review - look forward to welcoming you back for longer next time.

Kindest regards

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We ate in bar recently, not being able to get booking for restaurant. We enjoyed our night, but we wanted the full experience!!
I thought the tables were a bit close to bar and I was afraid we'd get bumped as people passed us. There was also some very loud people in bar, which impaired a little on our enjoyment.
Thought the menu was a little limited, but what we chose was lovely.
This is a lovely hotel. We will definitely go back to treat ourselves to the tasting menu at the restaurant - we looked enviously at those having a drink perusing the menus!!
Fabulous views from decking outside.

Bottler1984, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Dear Corkcouple

Thanks for your review - glad that you are considering returning to try the Tasting menu. Look forward to welcoming you back then.

Kindest regards

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We dined at House as part of our stay at the Cliff House.

Perched over Ardmore Bay, it is truly a spectacular setting for a restaurant. I'd recommend dining around sunset, because even though it doesn't set over the bay, the sky is just beautiful.

What was most surprising about the restaurant is the amount of food we received. We did the three course menu and I honestly would have died if we had done the full tasting menu - there is SO MUCH food! It was gorgeous. I had the vegetarian, which included asparagus in a million ways for my appetizer and a type of tart for my main course.

I typically go for a cheese board for dessert, but because there was no local Waterford cheeses included, I decided to skip it. Instead, I had the strawberry dessert, which included everything from dehydrated strawberries to what I can only describe as "pop rocks." Incredible.

Very, very impressive and enjoyable.

Dear ecojojo81

Thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed your vegetarian dinner.

I will ask the Chef to look into what cheeses are produced in Waterford as we prefer to use local suppliers where possible,

Hope to welcome you back some day.
Kind regards

Reviewed July 13, 2012

The cliff house is in a fabulous setting. Our staters and desserts were divine but, tha main course was slighty disappointing for a Michelin star restaurant. The staff were very accommodating the only fault was the plates were not cleared for ages

Dear nicolashiels

Thanks for your review and comments. All feedback is very welcome and we'll take your comments on board.

Best wishes