“Bar food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nenagh
Tralee, Ireland
“Bar food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stopped in Abbeycourt for a bar lunch. Hotel very central for those wanting accomodation cloise to town. Hotel looked very clean as were the toilets. Bar looked pretty full when we arrived . Large screen which showed sport but also area where you did not have to watch if you wished to dine in a quieter area. An extremely pleasant waitress served us and did not hurry us when we had not yet decided what we wished to eat. Our food was served by a waiter/bar manager who was also very pleasant. I cannot say the same for the food when it arrived. I had a steak sandwich which came on a type of bread which was not very edible . Maybe it was not to my taste only and others might like it.Steak itself was very average . There was some salad and a large portion of crisps. Again maybe just me but I think crisps should not be put on a lunch plate . They cannot be put on a fork so they have to be eaten from the hand. Luckily I had asked for a portion of chips also. My partner said her meal was just very fair and she would not want to return here. We may have fared better in the restaurant. Great staff , very average food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Navan, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just bak from Abbey Court Self Catering Lodges. The lodges are very nicely decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The five bed we stayed in with our three children was not spotless as I expected on arrival. The floors downstairs had not been hoovered or washed properly. I reported this to the hotel and they had someone inspect it in minutes and rectified in no time. I was impressed with the quick reaction. The baby travel cot was faulty too and I had to ring the hotel again and get another one. I found the crockery was dirty and I had to wash everything before I used it. The batteries were gone in the remote control and both curtains in the living area wouldn't close over. Apart from this our three night stay in the lodge was enjoyable. The hotel is nice, the lobby has a castle like feel to it and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is excellent and breakfast was a buffet which the children loved, up and down helping themselves! The pool is lovely and the kids loved the toys in the pool - dingies made out of float material and huge floats that all the children could float on together. The jacuzzi was massive, have never seen one so big before. The Trinity Spa is lovely and the staff are sound. Overall I would rate this hotel highly. I just think it is a pity that the lodges arn't look after a bit better, because as I said they are fabulously decorated, they are secure with access via fob, but they lack the finishing touches that would make this location an excellent place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leonamckeever
galway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked the hotel for a night away. It was ok but it didnt wow me. The halls and corridors are very very cold but the room was warm tho thank god. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Our room was a nice size but the bath are shower were together with a manky old shower curtain!:( The toiletries are not great and no body lotion. The walls are very very thin we could hear a person next door sneeze! We had dinner in the restaurant it was nice. Our cooked breakfast wasnt great but the continental was nice. The pool was very big and busy and cold. The hydro pool was nice tho. I would prefer changing rooms then a big changing room. The hotel is quiet old and smells of food ha! They have nice gardens outside. I wouldnt rush to stay here again but i would if i was passing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the second time in January. I was travelling on business and arrived very early. I didn't think I would get checked in at 11:00am but I thought I would ask anyway. I was thrilled to be offered a room right away. It meant I could spend an hour working in the comfort of my room before leaving for a meeting. Work meant I didn't get back to the hotel until 9:30pm and i was very hungry. I was so disapponted to learn there was no food available after 9:30pm. However the bar man offered me a sandwich that was prepared earlier in the day. He didn't have to offer and I devoured it in my room! The corridors and rooms could do with an upgrade but its very good value for money. When I'm away for work it ticked all the essential boxes: clean sheets, quiet room and a good gym. Oh and the lady that showed me to my seat for breakfast was very friendly and helpful even providing me with directions to my next meeting!

• Stayed January 2013
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here last weekend- it's an old huge (by Irish standards) hotel with great staff. My room was good size, a bit dated but clean; had dinner in the bar and the service was top notch. Breakfast was odd in that we had to go get it ourselves in the bar but there was plenty of it and good too.

There is also a huge pool and gym which I didn't use, but look great.

I would recommend this hotel, for sure-I think they should put up clearer directions on their website though.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in the Abbey Court on a business trip to Nenagh. I stayed one night and I have to say the staff were excellent, pleasant and all very helpfull, from the reception, the leisure center, the restauraunt and the bar.
While the decor in the rooms could probably do with being modernising, my room was very clean and comfortable.
Dinner in the restaurant was very good, especially the duck pate, it was gorgeous. The steak was first rate.
Unfortunately at breakfast the rashers were pre-cooked, so were a bit dry by the time they reached the table, the eggs were great.
All in all I would recommend The Abbey Court as a lovely hotel with excellent staff and a great location from which to explore Nenagh and North Tipperary.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MnMIreland
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

fine large hotel on outskirts of nenagh suitable for passing traffic.reception staff helpful and professional arranging a early entry to our room.the room was large with doublle and single bed.the room needs modernisation as do other parts of hotel.seems to be a popular wedding venue.food was good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nenagh
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Racket Hall Country House Hotel
Ashley Park House
Ashley Park House
#1 of 11 in Nenagh

Been to Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!