We wish there were a 'Good' category on Trip Advisor as this was nor average, nor very good, it was just good.
Good standard and probably worth the price for the available space and the modern decor.
A couple of negatives in the lodge itself:
1. The wi-fi doesn't seem to work in the lodges, that is a shame as it is not cheap to hire a lodge and wi-fi should work!
2. A strange electricity feature in our patio, not the most attractive and not the safest for children.
Otherwise plenty of space for 2 families like ours. We stayed at the lodge with 6 children including 2 babies and with the bedrooms on two seperate floors ; it is ideal for 2 families to share. The living area is pretty large downstairs too and is split into the kitchen area/dining area and then the living area on the other side. Doors are very heavy (presumably health and safety) so beware if you have small children as they could easily get their fingers hurt.
Now for the hotel itself. The staff in the bar/restaurant were extremely friendly but the food was a disappointment. Quality would be better than quantity...
If you're thinking of going swimming, do not forget your swimming hats as the hotel will charge you EUR 4 per hat per person i.e. 2 adults and 2 children would cost us EUR 16! That is assuming you have towels as they also charge you for using their towels. The pool is not child friendly as we were asked to leave the jacuzzi because we were there with young children. We also carried our baby to the pool and the automatic jets on the way meant that our poor baby got soaked. So, if you have to bring your baby, carry him on your shoulder or even better do not bring him/her to the pool.
Other useful tip: the shops are a little way away on foot and the nearest convenience shop isn't great so you may want to consider shopping at a supermarket before you get to the lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Great National Abbey Court Hotel, Lodges & Trinity Leisure Spa is a family owned business, set within its own mature gardens on a five acre site on the edge of the historic, centrally located town of Nenagh. We are the mid-west of Ireland's leading superior 3 star hotel with 4 star self-catering lodges, easily accessed just off the main M7 Dublin to Limerick Road, 90 minutes from Dublin and 30 minutes from Limerick. Nenagh is famed for its historic Heritage Centre, Friary Castle, Arts Centre, Local Crafts & Fresh Produce Markets, Woolen Mill, Award Winning Eateries and its stunning selection of Boutique Shops for both Men & Women. Only a few minutes away is the breath taking scenery of Lough Derg with its ample facilities such as boating, cruising, sailing, fishing and outdoor adventure centre. Other activities in the area include walking, hiking, biking, hunting, horse racing, greyhound racing, horse riding, golf and pitch and putt. If you go a little further afield you can tour the Golden Vale, Rock of Cashel, Holycross Abbey, Bunratty Folk Park, Birr Castle Demesne, Cliffs of Moher & much more due to our central location. From conferencing to a leisure break, family stay, wedding or other events, valued guests can enjoy superb facilities combined with a great base and the highest level of comfort and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Abbey Court Nenagh