“Pleasant Night”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin
“Pleasant Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Booked into the Strandhill Lodge for it's proximity to Strandhill beach and also as I had business in Sligo which is only a ten minute car journey away. The room was spacious, clean and sitting on the balcony pleasant although the car park of the pub next door can be busy and distracts from the view. The beach is a good 10 minute downhill walk. My only gripe is the depth of the bath, I prefer a bath but it was so shallow, definitely not one to sink into and lounge in for a hour or so.The breakfast although continental in description is very good with large variety of options. David is very friendly, offers lots of information on the locality and honest, I had booked the room online but upon checking out David offered me the corporate rate as I was in Sligo on business. It is not often nowadays you find that type of fairness, thanks David.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, ground floor have open patio space, upper floors have a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DavidMcCoy, General Manager at Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Axel07

Many thanks for taking the time to review. I'm delighted that you found us suitable for your business requirements while in Sligo. We do endeavour to provide comfort and all the amenities that a business traveller would require including comfortable, relaxing rooms with seaview and complimentary Wi-Fi all this at a standard corporate rate.

My apologies that the bath wasn't to your liking we did make a decision to keep the bath low-rise and it may not suit everyone's taste.

I'm delighted you enjoyed the breakfast as we feel it is an ideal way to start off the day - plenty of options and healthy and fresh...

If are in the area again please let me know and i'd be happy to ensure you get that balcony room. Thankyou again and for the review.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Last year we gave this lodge a ten. This year it is a ten plus. David McCoy and his staff are super. They give their all to make your stay a pleasant success - and they are very successful at all they do. Coming from the Arizona desert and waking up to a wide open view of the Atlantic Ocean each morning is a perfect start to the day. And having seven of our ten days stay rainless was heaven on earth. If you want to experience a bit of paradise on earth Standhill Lodge and Suites is the place to find it.

Bob and Josephine

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Dear BobandJosephine

Thankyou so much for taking the time to write another review this year - your custom as always is greatly appreciated.

I'm glad that on this occasion the sun was burning brightly in the sky and you managed to do a little bit more exploring than last year. You certainly fulfilled all your days and you must have seen more of the north-west coast than most people who live here.

Hopefully we will see you again in the future and as always if I can be of assistance all need do is call. Thankyou again for choosing us and for the review.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I booked in here with my 3 & 4 year old on my own. The experience from the first interaction on the phone was professional and courteous. I had specifically asked for a room with 2 beds and a fold out so that we all had our own space and on arrival they had a great room for us. It was obvious that they had given thought to where a parent on her own with two smallies might be most comfortable. When we came down for breakfast they were concerned that we hadn't been disturbed by some late night revellers - we hadn't heard a thing. They advertise that they only serve a continental breakfast, well it's the breakfast of kings, really suitable, fresh and tasty. I thought the choice and the specialty reserved toaster for those that are gluten intolerant was a nice touch as well. The place was clean, staff so helpful and friendly and dying to help out - they helped with my luggage which when you are trying to herd toddlers is invaluable. They made recommendations for things to do and places to eat and see. I had travelled for a relatives party and planned only staying one night but they helped to make it so stress free travelling with the kids that half an hour after checking out I was back to see if I could check back into my room. When I returned later they had given me a different room which they thought I might find even better and I did, it was also on the ground floor but opened out into a contained safe outdoor area where the kids could burn off the extra energy they had built up and I could get some space. I spent lots of my childhood summers in Strandhill and want my kids to have the same experience but I thought I'd have to wait until they were older and more manageable - not any more. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
DavidMcCoy, General Manager at Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear 542 Malone

Thankyou for taking the time to review it means a lot when guests give us their feedback on tripadvisor. We endeavour to make your time with us as comfortable as possible so i'm delighted all was to your liking.

While the breakfast is continental we do try and offer as much a variety as possible in keeping with our green and healthy theme.

I'm delighted that your children enjoyed themselves and that you opted to stay the second night. We moved you because we felt that the patio access room might be a nice change and give you a little bit more space. I hope it will encourage you to return to us again soon.

Thankyou again for such a comprehensive review and I look forward to seeing and welcoming you back to Strandhill in the near future. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were lovely, and the staff were great and very willing to help. While staying here we managed to squeeze in horse riding, long walks on the beach over to the airport and we even treated ourselves to a seaweed bath! It was great to be beside all of these things! I'm looking forward to returning.

The views from the bedroom were fantastic.The bed too, was big and extremely comfortable, making getting out of it very hard, Plus the the added touch of having an Ipod dock beside the bed... best idea ever! for playing music and charging our iphones. There were also great restaurants and pubs in the vicinity, so no need to drive! A complete stressless weekend if there ever was. Just have to go back again soon!

I would highly recommend the Strandhill Lodge and Suites to anyone who is visiting the Strandhill area.

Peter & Ruth

Room Tip: Try and request a room with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BluePeter1978
Dear Bluepeter72

Thankyou for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. It is great to see that you had such a jam-packed weekend and experienced so much of what the area has to offer..

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the room and the amenities therein they are aimed at providing travellers with luxury and comfort. The aim for anyone going away for a few days is to relax and distress so i'm glad that we assisted in someway in doing this.

Thankyou again for your kind review and I hope to see you both in Strandhill in the near future.

sligo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel. Very spacious, comfortable rooms. The breakfast provided catered for all tastes and requirements. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The rooms were reasonably priced. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Mairead72

Thankyou for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the furnishings and amenities to your taste.

Thankyou for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Celebration, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a very nice recently built small hotel in Standhill, a little village by the sea in County Sligo. The atmosphere is casual and intimate. It is located a bit off the normal track, but just down the hill is a wonderful, almost American-style beach community with surfing schools and good restaurants. "The Venue" pub adjacent to the hotel provides excellent seafood and other good food in a quaint atmosphere. Our room was spacious and included a wired internet port as well as free Wi-Fi. There was adequate storage, the bed was comfortable and power points were plentiful. Best of all, there was a balcony overlooking a broad meadow to the sea. This is a comfortable hotel in a convenient location: highly recommended.

Some minor issues: A continental breakfast was included, but no full breakfast was available at the hotel. Our television kept losing some channels, however the manager found and corrected the problem. Although a business centre is advertised, there was none to be found.

Room Tip: Rooms have either countryside or ocean views, so state your preference during the reservation proces...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidMcCoy, General Manager at Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear WDB44

Thank-you so much for taking the time to review and for sharing your experience. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found it relaxing.

My apologies for the mix-up regarding the TV channels and while the WIFI was working there was a problem with the wired connection in your room - fortunately it was just a cabling issue and has since been resolved. Due to our recent refurbishments we have erected signage with an intention to develop our business centre after remodelling our breakfast room and residents lounge - our Business centre will be completed by the end of June 2013 so it will be in operation by that time - i'm sorry if you were inconvenienced when you tried to use it. We do have a laptop which guests can avail of in their rooms I am sorry if this was not made clear to you.

Im glad that you availed of the locality and the Venue restaurant is a great place to dine in the evenings especially with those great sunsets. We strive to meet our guests needs and so its always nice to hear that guests respond to them so well so thank-you for your kind comments about the rooms.

I'm delighted you enjoyed the stay and found it relaxing for your time in Sligo - I hope if you are in the area again we will see you both again. Again thankyou for your review and if I can be of any assistance in future please do not hesitate to let me know.

Heidelberg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed overnight in may 2013, the staff were professional helpful, the rooms were spacious and well maintained this modern hotel was a pleasure and we highly recommend it. The restaurant
next door is both convenient and the food was great.

Room Tip: Sea view room was spacious and had great sea views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dougpullen

Thankyou for taking the time to review. I'm glad all was to your liking and that we exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your brief stay with us. If you are passing by in the future I hope we shall see you again.

David McCoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strandhill
Riverside Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,028 reviews
Sligo City Hotel
Sligo City Hotel
#6 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!