“How Can You Eat A SALAD with a TEASPOON?”
Review of Hugo's Restaurant

Hugo's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 426 Restaurants in Fayetteville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have dined at this restaurant for many years and always found it to be worthy of the status it has beheld as a Fayetteville Institution. I am sad to say that I have lost my faith in the management due to fact that the service was beyond terrible when I dined there the Saturday before New Year's Eve in December. The place was not crowded when we arrived yet it took at least fifteen minutes to get a glass of water and a menu. It took another ten minutes to get a glass of wine.
By the time our salads arrived we did not have silverware or napkins. After ten minutes of requesting them we still did not have a fork to eat our salad. Finally, the waitress offered us teaspoons to eat our salads!! I am not making this up. Our food came and we did not have anything but our fingers to eat our chicken breast and trout. Hmmmm. Fifteen minutes later we still did not have anything so we requested to see the manager. The manager trots over to our table and says she is sorry, but all of the silverware is dirty. She tells the waitress to bring some plastic forks. I don't know about you, but I can't eat a chicken breast with a plastic fork. There were no plastic knives to accompany these lovely forks. Finally, when our fish and chicken had grown cold, the genuine metal forks and knives come out. You would have thought they were doing us a favor. By now, between three of us we had six glasses of wine on our bill. When we confronted the manager about the service, she merely said "Sorry". We asked for the restaurant to either comp our food or our wine. She stated that was impossible and that she might give us a discount. When we told her this was unacceptable, she stood her ground until we continued to state that this service was completely out of line. Finally, she took our wine off of the bill. There were only about ten customers in the restaurant while we were there, but they could not get us a clean fork??? Until I know that the management has changed at this place, I will not go back. If they expect to replace a salad fork with a teaspoon, what do they replace the hamburger meat with when they run out of it?

2  Thank CLGLR

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My best friend and I used to go to Hugo's almost every weekend when we were in high school. 30+ years later, I still love to eat here. Their burgers can't be beat! The guacamole burger & blue moon burger are my two favorites. It's cozy, packed almost every single day & night, and the atmosphere is unlike any other place in Fayetteville. Wait staff is always top-notch. Go, go, go to Hugo's if you're visiting and need a cool place to eat. (The locals don't need encouraging!)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went here because my wife's maiden name is Hugo and because of the reviews here. We had great burgers, fries and a better than average chef's salad. It would be even nicer with enough light to read the menus without resorting to my smart phone's flashlight app.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The smoky cheeseburger was one of the best burgers I've had in years. The fries were fresh. I love that they were cut long & still had their skins. Friendly, fast service even though every table filled up while we were there. Highly recommend this Fayetteville tradition.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Such a cute restaurant with checkered table cloths!
I ordered the tuna steak. It came with salad and a rice pilaf and it was amazing!
It's so hard to find good food in Arkansas so this was a breath of fresh air. The waitress was so friendly and she suggested some Texan wine for us. Overall, a great experience.