“Decent Attraction but Very Nice Service”

Arkansas Air Museum
Ranked #14 of 46 things to do in Fayetteville
Conway, Arkansas, United States
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Decent Attraction but Very Nice Service”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Arkansas Air Museum is about what you would expect from an air museum in a small city like Fayetteville. The museum contains some nice replicas and artifacts. There aren't any exceptionally great planes to be found here though. However, the museum does have very nice service. Those who run this museum do represent southern hospitality well.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Kenny S

Catatonic1
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Historical Airplanes”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a very cool place to visit to see old airplanes from bygone eras. A definite must see, especially when they have the Air Show.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Catatonic1
North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Historic hanger”
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

This is THE PLACE TO GO FOR MILITARY MEMORABILIA. Wonderful old hanger built of wood foot WW2 pilot training. The gift shop has lots of goodies for kids and military buffs. The hanger itself has lots of old one of a kind planes including Sam Walton's first plane. The adjacent military museum has all Sorts of old vehicles and lots of war memorial flags, patches, weapons etc. Admission price is reasonable and worth the experience. The hangar is also great for special events.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank dreamjeanne
Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Historic Air Museum”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Arkansas Air Museum, situated at Drake Field in Fayetteville, Arkansas, contains an eclectic mix of wonderful aircraft, engines, uniforms, and other artifacts. From WWI trainers to an A-7 fighter, a wide range of materials are on exhibit in one of the few remaining wooden hangers from the airfields days with the Army Air Corps as a training site for WWII. I live just a few miles from the field and go visit whenever I have a few hours to spare - always worth the time and the trip because I always see something I missed before!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mark G
Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A joke”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Every other review on the air museum had great things to say. It makes me that much more disappointed in my experience. My daughter and I visited the museum with a homeschool field trip. We got a student discount. I would have regretted going if I paid full price. The woman at the front desk wasn't rude or mean, but she certainly wasn't friendly.

We walked around the main hanger for about 45 minutes. That was way too much time to be stuck in that hanger and boredom set in for a lot of people. There were two tour guides there, but neither were giving actual tours. They were just sort of babysitting the displays in case the children crossed a rope and got too close.

As a group we went to the displays outdoors and it was the same thing. No guidance. This time though there weren't any informational signs to explain what we were looking at. So, we just walked around aimlessly looking and waiting for some direction.

After about 20 minutes of that our guide rounded everyone up and we continued to the next indoor portion of the museum. Our guide did tell us little tidbits and facts about specific planes and vehicles, but not without correcting himself several times. On part of the tour there was a demonstration that involved a blower that was used to hover a couple of beach balls above it. Pretty cool to look at but there was absolutely no explanation given as to what exactly was being demonstrated. There were a couple of other demonstrations too that did not have explanation.

On one or two airplanes the guide gave us more information about how the display was cobbled together with painted Easter eggs and wood in place of real ammo/guns/rockets. (a good amount of displays looked like they were cobbled together or salvaged, in fact).

We continued on to another room crammed packed with display cases and stayed there for less than 10 minutes. No information was given about anything, just a reminder to keep fingers off the glass. One mother became obviously uncomfortable when our guide pressured her son in to viewing the gun display. It was awkward.

In one little corner they had a Challenger memorial display. The pictures on it looked like they were printed on regular white copy paper with an old junk printer that was low on ink. Names of the crew members were listed, but there was no information about the actual explosion or why the mission was important even before the shuttle took off. There weren't even any dates listed! I explained the significance and details to my kid and the small group surrounding me. There were all sorts of interesting looking patches and WWII displays too, but the only information given was by whom the display was donated by. TACKY: right in the middle of at least one of the glass case was a big white stark sign saying that donations are tax deductible and nearly everything had the museum name prominently stenciled on it.

After the tour ended we broke away from the main group to look for more information on female pilots. Our guide came over to us to be helpful and elaborate on the displays, but he was blatantly contradicting names and dates that were listed right on the displays and I'm sure he guessed at some of the information too.

We like to send postcards to the grandmas, but the gift shop did not have any with pictures of actual displays or even with the museum name on them.

Anyway, I hope your trip is better than ours. I thought it was a rip-off and a waste of time. My daughter said she didn't learn anything new.

Visited November 2013