“LOVE LOVE LOVE the food!”
Review of Cafe Rue Orleans

Cafe Rue Orleans
Ranked #44 of 410 Restaurants in Fayetteville
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Portions are Hugh and food is awesome! I love any and all, but probably my favorite is the Crawfish Bisque and the Mufeletta (wished I knew how to spell it). The Eggplant Napoleon is one of Maudie's creations -- but need a big appetite to take it down!

There are newer reviews for Cafe Rue Orleans

Reviewed February 10, 2012

We went to Cafe Rue Orleans with high expectations after many years of reading great reviews! We ordered the crab cakes for an appetizer and they were okay...not great, not bad. I ordered the Crawfish Duo...a combo plate of crawfish etouffee and fried crawfish tails. The etouffee was rather unremarkable....few crawfish and swimming in a rather bland tomato sauce. The fried crawfish tails, on the other hand, were excellent; they were lightly breaded and not greasy. My spouse had the crawfish etouffee and wasn't impressed, although we both did get large portions. These entrees were accompanied by a house salad and french bread. The salad was awful..absolutely swimming in a sickly, sweet dressing, and the bread was some of the worst french bread I've ever had. On top of that, the service was not good; the waitress brought our entrees out before our salad, among other goofs. If one had never been to New Orleans, one might think it was good food. However, having had great food when in NO, this paled by comparison. Overall, very pricey for rather mediocre food.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

The one time we ate there, it took over 40 minutes for my daughters boiled crawfish to come out, they brought mine and my husbans food out within 10 minutes and we didn't eat until her food got there, also, so our food was cold. It takes less than 15 minutes to boil crawfish, so couldn't understand why it took so long, and why they would bring us ours that long before hers was ready. The food was ok.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

My wife and I recently made a third, widely spaced, visit to Café Rue. We go because the idea of having New Orleans in Fayetteville is attractive; we leave wishing that we had not come. It seems to take about a year before rising hopes overtake fading memories, and we come again. Hopefully, writing a review will help keep memories fresh.

On the most recent visit, we began with an order of deep fried artichokes as an appetizer. They arrived after a decent interval and were some of the best deep fried foods ever: the artichokes were probably just canned hearts, but they were fresh, hot, delicately flavored, in a wonderful thin batter. Very generous quantities—we ate more than we should have and there was still an equal amount to take home.

After a time we got a small side salad. The greens were probably OK, but you couldn’t tell because of the overly generous application of a heavy vinaigrette dressing. Couldn’t taste the greens at all. I would ask for the dressing on the side.

Then we waited, and waited, and waited. It was an hour between the time we sat down to order and the appearance of the entrees. Our waiter explained that the kitchen is very small with only one stove and one cook. Everything is cooked fresh to order and sequentially. If it is a busy night, you just wait.

My wife had the shrimp Ponchartrain: a generous quantity of tender shrimp with rotini in a Tasso (ham-flavored) cream sauce. I had the eggplant napoleon, three slices of battered and deep fried eggplants with two crab cakes in a seafood cream sauce with shrimp. For what they were, both were well done. The problem is that they are rich, heavy, and boring. The flavors are not intrinsically interesting after a few mouthfuls and there are no alternative flavors, no vegetables, nothing to relieve the palate. The crab cakes are mostly filler. (I know that crab is VERY expensive these days, but still, bready crabcakes don’t have much flavor. I’d do one crab cake with double the crab.)

Along with this came some of the worst ‘French’ bread imaginable. If this comes from New Orleans, the restaurant should save itself some trouble and expense. Any number of local supermarkets could provide bread of this quality, and some could do much better. Anyhow, this bread provides no relief from the generally bland main courses.

We finished with a white chocolate bread pudding. OK, but also pretty bland.

In summary, if you want heavy, rich, bland food in generous quantities and are willing to wait for it, this is your restaurant. It’s too bad, as the kitchen can do some things very well. What is lacking is imagination and variety.

I'd return to try the raw bar. I'm sure the raw oysters are excellent. And, given how well the kitchen does fried foods, I'm sure that the oyster po' boy would be really good--except possibly the bread.

1  Thank SofioFay
Reviewed November 2, 2011

crawfish season downstairs is awesome and so is the Sunday brunch. The fired catfish is THE BEST in all NWA - Way better than Catfish Hole! Homemade "pink" tartar sauce is so good, you can eat it alone. Mumbo Gumbo varieties are fun. Not fancy, but true FYV, unique food, great local chef.