“Nice location, dated hotel”

Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosses Point
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Recently stayed here for one night with my wife, travelling up west coast of Ireland. The location is lovely (when the rain lets you see it!) and easy to find in Rosses Point.
Parking is plentiful although when we stopped we could see some rooms at ground level and I did say to my wife "I hope we don't get one of those". The reception and staff were efficient at check-in, we were given room 107 and yes it was a ground level room looking straight at the cars parked outside and everyone walking past could see into the room as well. Some frosting on the windows or voile curtains are needed. The room décor and furniture were tired but clean. There was a double bed, a single, a double sofa bed and a temporary single all in the room, made it feel a bit like dorm room! Bathroom was clean but there was no shower gel in the dispenser.
The hotel was full so we could not change rooms but for one night we stuck it out.
We were offered the evening dinner menu but the choice didn't appeal so we drove into Sligo Town and had a lovely meal in the Bistro Biannconi, highly recommended.
Returning to the hotel the small bar was packed and there were kids running amok in the limited public areas so we retired to the room. No Wi-Fi in the room so we watched the telly, might as well have been at home.
Breakfast was fine, a good choice but mostly self-service apart from tea/coffee then we checked out and skipped the offer of another night.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel is in a prominent position overlooking Rosses Point with a car park opposite. We arrived shortly before check in at 3pm and had to wait a short time for our room to be ready. The receptionist was pleasant enough and the wait was not too long. Our room was on the ground floor, facing the front. By hotel standards, the room was very large, more than big enough for a double bed, single bed and sofa bed. That aside, the decor was dated, the furniture sparse and worn and all surfaces seemed to have a layer of dust on parts of it. The room is obviously designed for a wheelchair user as the bathroom was a wet room. Although clean, it left us with little desire to have a shower.
The whole hotel is dated and desperately needs a massive overhaul to make it even a 1 star standard. The hotel claims to have invested heavily over the past 10 years to make it a 1st class hotel? I cannot see where this money has been spent or even where the website photos were taken!
The hotel provides a kids club & my two decided to try it out. At the 5pm check-in time, staff had still not arrived. Ten minutes later, the room was opened and I was shocked to see the state of the place with broken toys, overflowing bins and food lying on the floor. It looked like it had not been tidied since the previous session. The guy in charge did not even bother to say hello and only asked us to fill out a form. Despite this, our 7 year old wanted to stay for the supper club. There was no menu so we didn't know what to expect but he wanted to stay anyway. We went back to check on him at 6.15pm (after the supper club) only to find out that because of staff shortages, they hadn't served dinner yet!
During this we had decided to relax in the bar with a drink and a snack. The bar is dark, dank and smells. Like the rest of the hotel, you don't want to touch anything in case you catch something (might explain all the hand sanitizers everywhere). We persevered and tried 1/2 a coke, 1/2 a Harp lager, 1/2 a Budweiser and 1/2 a Heineken. The coke was warm and rancid and the beers were undrinkable. The staff weren't particularly welcoming and for a country that prides itself on its professional bar tenders, somewhere this lot have forgotten how to keep a decent beer and with 20 years experience in the bar and restaurant business, I think I know what I am talking about. I tried the Chefs special wrap (chicken, bacon, cheese, sun dried tomato's) served with salad and chips. My wife had a margarita pizza, each costing about 10 Euro's each. The chips tasted like they had been left soaking in dirt oil, the wrap was bland and tasteless and the salad was limp. The pizza looked and tasted like a £1 special from Tesco. We paid our bill and retreated to our room planning an early night, wishing away time so we could check out and leave.
We went to collect our son at 7pm from the kids club. He had a pizza at the supper club but didn't like it so I took him out to get a sandwich. Whilst in the car he told me that he asked to leave at 6.30pm. A member of staff took him to the bar area (where we said we would be waiting) and as they couldn't find us, took him back to the club. On the form we filled in, as well as telling them where we would be in the hotel, we provided a mobile number and our room number. Why didn't they call us?
I complained to the duty manager who could not have been more apologetic or helpful as were all her staff but that did not make up for an expensive, poor hotel.
Many comments on Trip Advisor say this hotel is "OK" for 1 night as a stop over, IT ISN'T! It is expensive (family room for 2 adults, 2 kids, 129 euros per night) dirty, smelly & generally unwelcoming. I would rather carry on driving into the night than stay here again. The owner, Brian McEniff, apparently owns a hotel group. He has either not visited this site much since 1995 or he does not care much about the hotel or the business, because if he did, he would be embarrassed by this monstrosity.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gerryomara
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights while visiting family in Sligo. The room itself was ok although it smelt a little musty.

The bar was tiny and very poorly lit and the drinks were rather pricey! The dining room was quite dated, although to be fair I liked the vintage feel to it.

Good selection on offer for breakfast, and the staff were very pleasant.

When I'm in Sligo again I will definitely visit Rosses Point again, although I'll probably opt for a hotel in Sligo town centre as the irregular bus services and the fact they only run until 6pm meant a lot of money spent in taxis!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I truly don't even know where to begin with this as I note none of the posts have been replied to by management!! However here goes

Good Points
90% of the staff were lovely & friendly.
Fantastic scenery & beautiful village
Beautiful ladies bathroom downstairs

Bad Points
Grotty, dirty, ancient carpet (never once heard/seen a Hoover being used during our stay - I have a photo included of the dust in our room alone

Food was absolutely dire - obvious there was no chef - everything pre-cooked, bland & Restaraunt very understaffed!!

Celine Dion on constant replay in dining room day & night

Flies buzzing bout the bread during breakfast

If u wanted tea/coffee after evening meal in dining room - u had to help yourself from flasks situated outside dining room in the hallway

Dust an inch thick in bedroom

Family room comprised of double. Single & a pull out bed - not acceptable

One particular barmaid with black hair piled on her head had an attitude & personality about as pleasant as open heart surgery - and the enthusiasm of a disprin - not to mention the fact that she didn't know what a pint of coke was - her fellow (lovely lovely barman) advised her to put 2 bottles into a pint glass with ice.

Glaringly obvious lack of management - one woman with blond hair - cleared tables with the finesse of a farmer clearing out a barn may have been a manager - who knows

HUGE HUGE HUGE gripe & concern about the "leisure centre" - dirty urine stench assaults ur nostrils on entering the dark dingy changing rooms. Out to the unsupervised pool that hasn't been marked to tell u that there is a rather deep part as my 8 year old daughter found out when she attempted to stand up - she went under and got a nasty fright.

Jacuzzi unsightly and broken

Such a shame this hotel isn't loved as it should be. If really has so much potential

3  Thank shivvyk77
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Definitely the location is key , the food is another story , chefs special egg mayonnaise €6.50 , 1 hard boiled egg a spoon of mayo and some greens very dear , asking one of the staff could I get an alternative dish NO NO most adamant . I wonder then about flexibility on your holiday , definitely not when paying for stuff . Most of the staff are nice , some very programmed but having to get your tea or coffee during dinner service from a hot flask in the corridor beats the lot . One wonders should you get a discount for serving yourself . Hotel could with a makeover .

1  Thank Pker1
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

In fairness the last minute nature of our booking (in the car from Dohooma in Mayo to Sligo) meant we had to settle for what was still available. But when I say "the worst stay ever" you'd better believe me, having stayed in some rather grim places.

Do not let the plush lobby area fool you, oh no because once you get past that you're basically in Butlins/Mosney/Fawlty Towers.

The place hasn't had a lick of paint since the Berlin Wall was standing. Our room in particular, a 4th floor attic room, had no water in the hot tap, a rather worrying noise of electricity surges coming from a plug socket, dust and cobwebs a plenty and a disappointing but not unexpected unreliable door. Sleep must've cost extra because with children crying/running around, the car alarms honking through the night and rowdy teens drinking in the adjacent tennis court, it certainly did not come easily.

Modern amenities such as WiFi were non existent unless you were prepared to trek to cramped communal areas. The "Leisure Centre" was packed with children abandoned by parents off to the pub, and quite frankly I can't blame them.

Dining in the "Winery" was pure disappointment and the offerings were akin to reheating a microwave meal; frozen potatoes and a single croquette. The dining room's music library consisted of a single album from nineties Canadian export Celine Dion on loop. I wanted to jab myself with a fork every time I heard "My Heart Will Go On". Even the flies frequenting the breakfast buffet looked depressed.

Despite complaining about the noise levels in the hotel we were greeted with "well that's what happens, sometimes you can be unlucky". No, sometimes you have no other choices available and have to stay at places like the Yeats Country hotel.

The only saving graces here were the beautiful views and kind of comfy bed.

4  Thank Seanear
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Visited this hotel 18th August for two nights.

Good points: great location overlooking the sea. Free car parking. Clean, comfortable beds. Clean bathroom. Loved the dining room curtains and wall paper.

Bad points: dated generally. Damp smells throughout, musty carpets. Tape on some carpet joins.
Old type TV in room could not be watched as high pitched noise coming from it continually. No hairdrier in room - the holder was there but wire cut. No toiletries in bathroom, soap dispenser empty. Dirty nappy lying outside window on ledge - reported on first day and still there on last day!!
The bar is small and is out of crisps stock! Was told there was a slot machine where I could buy a small tub of Pringles for 2 euros - rip off. Still out of crisps on my last day too : (
Evening meal basic but edible. After meal wanted to take my drink out to soft seats but no room available, no seats in bar either. A lot of children spread out over seats. I asked the reception staff if we could sit in the Candles bar but was told it was not opened till later. Myself and family left the hotel and went to another establishment down the road. Got a seat and had a nice evening, but not in the Yeats.

The leisure complex is also dated. There are lockers but no locks. Strong smell of urine in shower area.Looks dirty. No shower gel in dispensers, mentioned to staff member and he said he had not got in to check them yet - in my opinion if it was open it should be ready for guests. Steam room ok, sauna not. Jacuzzi broken and taped off. In previous reviews (March) had read it was broken and still not fixed.

I do not plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
The Glasshouse
#5 of 8 in Sligo
Great Southern Hotel Sligo
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel

Been to Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!