Completely unexpected visit to Sligo when my wife took ill and had to be admitted to Sligo hospital, resulting in me booking in for a couple of nights over the weekend.
This hotel is a bit of a grand old lady, in some ways showing its' age - some of the furniture in the older part of the hotel are best described as functional, certainly not upmarket - but look at what they charge! Couldn't believe I could stay in such a beautiful area for a mere €55 a night.
For those who don't know the area - it is beautiful. Golf course, putting green and tennis court right outside with glorious beaches beyond. The village has a few pubs / restaurants / shops and under-estimated Sligo is only 7km away. The surf beaches of Strandhill are about 20 mins away and there is sea angling (boat & shore) and fresh water angling in abundance. The area is very safe for walking or cycling and there are riding stables nearby too. This is definitely one of Ireland's hidden gems.
Back to the hotel - it is a combination of old and new with a modern extension adjoining the established building giving the best of both worlds. I stayed in both parts - first night in the 'old' building, second night transferring to the new part. The 'old' room was fine if quite dated. Bed was comfortable, TV was modern flat screen and bathroom did everything you would expect. The 'new' room was better - more modern and spacious. Mine actually had a double and two singles so accommodation to suit most family sizes.
The hotel has a pool and spa and there are lovely lounges beside open fires and wonderful views to while away an hour or two with a book or the papers. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the chef helped out with my wife's request for an alternative to hospital food.
All things considered, this is a really good option. Not ultra modern or with cutting edge facilities, but neither does it charge at that level so looking at what you get for your money this is hard to beat.
I look forward to going back - just hope the circumstances are different.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only Hotel located in Rosses Point, SligoThis elegant Sligo Hotel is ideally located in Rosses Point, Sligo located on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean. With a Blue flag beach and a challenging 18 hole golf links nearby, the Sligo Yeats Country Hotel Spa & Leisure Centre provides its guests with a taste of leisure and relaxation amongst the breathtaking beauty of the North West of Ireland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yeats Country Hotel, Spa And Leisure Centre Hotel Rosses Point
- Yeats Country Rosses Point