“A warm welcome awaits..” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant

Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Roscommon B&B and Inns
Penarth, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome awaits..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I needed to stay in Roscommon for several nights during November while visiting from the UK to spend time with a very ill relative at the local hospital. Having previously had a number of very positive experiences at the restaurant, I checked in at Gleesons where I returned for a number of nights over a couple of weeks. What a wonderful experience, from start to finish. Gleesons is a real credit to the family and a real gem for Roscommon. The accommodation was welcoming, tasteful, comfortable and spotless. However the best feature of all was the warm welcome (not to mention the lovely open fire!) and cosy retreat that both owners and staff extended to me on each occasion. Several times I needed to arrive very late and/or leave early, and I was always offered lovely food and refreshments. (I also had lunch from their deli next door which was delicious). Nothing was too much trouble. This lovely retreat was particularly special given the stressful circumstances of my trip, but I was delighted to see this same "Cead mile failte" extended to many visitors and guests over my time there. My family & I look forward to staying again under more relaxed circumstances in the future & meantime will be recommending Gleesons unreservedly.

Room Tip: I stayed in a number of rooms and each one was charming.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
Dublin,Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

My first impression was that the place was incredibly quiet for a Friday night ..it turned out that a large function room at the back was fully booked for a retirement party.

However this did not impact in any way on the service or the quality of the food.

The starter was fresh and crisp the mains were tasty and well presented .

We shared a bottle of their Eco brand wine which I noticed that they were also selling in their local Artisan produce shop elsewhere in Roscommon.

It was lovely and very well priced for the quality.

Service was pleasant and friendly considering the pressure they were obviously under next door!

All in all ...I would recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at Gleeson's. We were a party of four in three rooms. We arrived Friday afternoon and check in was smooth, quick, and friendly. All our rooms were spotless, warm and with modern bathrooms. We had an early dinner in the cafe which was lovely; fresh food and a well thought out menu catering for most tastes. The cafe service is efficient, friendly and relaxed. The following evening we were a party of eight eating in the restaurant. I had the sea bass which was very good. Service in the restaurant was attentive and unobtrusive. We stayed in the two-room suite to the front of the hotel and this was lovely; tasteful decor with lots of space to relax and the room was made up every day. The location of the hotel is ideal, right by the main square. Only two small points for improvement, some light bulbs were not working in the room and over the bathroom mirror, and the trouser press was not working. I hope this hotel continues to thrive and we will definitely stay here next time we visit Roscommon and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013
Roscommon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I eat here quite often, as it's local to where I live. Most of the food is locally sourced and is of a very high standard. It's not cheap but I think it still represents value for money. I stayed here once and I was very impressed with the service and the room (although the Wi-Fi didn't work in the bedroom)

The hotel is right in the centre of Roscommon town and there is plenty to do day or night (theatre, pubs, restaurants, castle and shops) all within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Billinghay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Although we have stayed before, we had not stayed at the Townhouse( our previous stays being at the apartment in Lanesboro) we decided to treat ourselves to a stay tin the Suite as we wre only over for a couple of days for a friends 40th birthday party,and we were not disappointed it has something you dont get at many hotels ...charm and character ,we felt that it was good value for money and the breakfasts are not for the faint hearted and certainly keep you giong for the day well until the evening when you are assured of hearty irish fare.We love this place and look foward always to seeing the Gleeson family who greet you as long lost friends! Our only regret is thatt we not able to get over this year( We stayed late November last year,Sorry guys I forgot to write this review at the time only when looking to come and stay next year did we realise forgotten) Looking forward to visiting in 2014 for sure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a short stay in Roscommon on my way to Galway and stayed the night! I was surprised to hear that Mr Gleeson was out sick, I greatly enjoy his humor and stories! I had a nice dinner there and their soups are to die for!

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad room yet!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Andy M
midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently booked a table for four. I have to say I was very impressed with the sevice and atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The menu caters for everyones taste. for starters I got the Fish cakes and would recommend them highly. The Garlic mushrooms and Ceasur Salad was also got at the table and lets just say there wasnt a crumb left on anyones plate. The mains and desserts were equally as good. There was a vegetarian among us and she had plenty of choice from each course, After dinner we had a nice relaxing drink in reception, We will return without a doubt.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Abbey Hotel
#1 of 2 in Longford
Ross House B&B
Ross House B&B
#2 of 5 in Roscommon

Been to Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant? Share your experiences!