“Homely, quaint, central, welcoming”

Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 6 Roscommon B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very central position in centre of Town. Welcoming family run guesthouse with restaurant.
Rooms very comfortable in quaint old townhouse. Reasonably priced. Easy pace - no need to rush out in the morning. Will certainly re-visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed in november 2012 . I had phoned gleesons ahead of my arrival, booking a single room . I was up to surprise my girlfriend so i decided to change my room to a double room when i arrived but was told at the reception desk they only had a double room so they had me upgraded at no extra cost . I had paid in cash up front which was a sum of 60 euro . My girlfriend stayed with me that night . We decided to stay another night which was a sunday and were told the room would go down to 55 euro because it was a sunday . I paid this up front in cash again . The next mourning we went down to drop the key off and in this the manager of gleesons came up to the reception desk and stood beside us .The man at the reception desk then turned around to me as i was handing in the key and proceeded in telling me i had to pay an extra 115 euro and said because my girlfriend stayed she would have to pay the exact same as i would pay so we were being charged an extra 115 on top of the 115 i gave them , The manager then came up to me and said they had no idea that she was staying and that was why the charge was added . But i had told the receptionist the first day that i landed that i had my girlfriend staying with me and that is why i wanted to change to a double room . As i told the manager this he was having none of it and i felt as if i was being cheated out of money as he knew wat he was doing all along to get the extra 115 euro , im sorry but not even a 5 star hotel charges 230 for a double room for two nights . I handed him fifty euro cash and walked out so all together i gave 165 . Would not recommend this place manager cheats you out of as much money as he can .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank sean w
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Gleeson's Townhouse is one of our favorite stops for genealogy research in Ireland. Eamonn is always quick to help source out connections for any inquiry and we have a lovely time with both staff and owners, Mary, Eamonn and their family. One of Ireland's best food stops as well, it boasts great food in the restaurant and for lunch, try the deli or the gourmet food shop just a door down in town. In 10 years of doing business with Gleeson's I've never had a complaint from any of my clients, be they in a group or individually traveling there.

Room Tip: If you want to spring for the suite it is well worth it. If you are traveling through on a budget...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed for short break at Gleesons. From you step across the doorstep the atmosphere is amazing. Turf fire burning in reception, friendly greeting, excellent food, (try the steak sandwich, its a taste sensation). Room was great, loved how it was decorated and it was warm, comfortable and fresh. Happily recommend Gleesons to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We visited the resturant on our way to Mayo from Dublin. As there are not many places who serve food in the afternnon, we were delighted to discover Gleesons.We were greeted by the very friendly and efficient manager and had a very good fresh meal. Gleesons is an excellent place to eat. We'll be back

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TeddybearMayo
EamonnGleeson, Owner at Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

We have gone to much effort over the last few months to develop our menus and our service and we are very happy that you had a pleasant experience in our Townhouse.

We would love to see you back the next time you venture to Roscommon.

All the best,

Reviewed January 10, 2013

When we have stayed in gleesons,we being 2 adults and 2 small children,on arrival turf fire burning in reception,so lovely,we were then directed into the cafe for a feast of complimentary scones,cakes and coffee,a memorable touch.The 2 adjoining bedrooms were very nice but I heard the bigger rooms to the front are a bit 'wow' but maybe these aren't suitable for a family.The food that night after a tour of the town was totally amazing,our food,the childrens menu just superduper,we topped it off with a lovely bottle of prosecco.The breakfast the following morning was a foodies dream,artisan yougurt,honey,homemade bread,wonderful meats etc the lovely waitress offered the children bread scraps to feed the fowl out the back by the pond ,soo nice.We had a great babysitter the daughter of the lovely lady working in the cafe.All in all a wonderful stay with wonderful food and service will defo return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.

You are correct in saying that the bedrooms at the front are not really suitable for a family but should you wish to return as a couple, we would be delighted to accommodate you in one of these suites.

Food is something that we really take pride in and we aim to serve homemade, organic, artisan foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner in our townhouse and in our shop.

We are always delighted to meet a fellow foodie and we would love to welcome you and your family back to our Townhouse in 2013.

All the best,

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Passing through Roscommon town in November 2012 I visited Gleesons Townhouse for breakfast as I had read some good reviews on Tripadvisor.

My experience was not a good one. I went for the full irish breakfast as I knew I did not have time to stop off for lunch later. The quality of the food was not good and I certainly could elicit that it was not freshly cooked as the rashers were very dry as was the pudding and sausages. The bread was not homemade so I asked for toast which was very kindly brought to me by the waitress.

I was astonished to find when paying that the cost of this was 9 euro and 95 cent. This is outlandish in these recessionaly times. I can have a breakfast which is freshly cooked anywhere around the country at less than 8 euro and indeed less than 7 euro most times.

I certainly will not be visiting Gleesons townhouse again nor will any of my colleagues from my company.

Mary - Galway

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank mary k
EamonnGleeson, Owner at Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review of our Café.

We take every review very seriously and we are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us.

However, we can assure you that the quality of our breakfast food is second to none - Our bacon is cooked fresh to order every morning as are our sausages, which are both of exceptional quality. We use Sean Kelly's (Westport) award winning Black & White Puddings and Local Free Range Eggs.

All of our bread is homemade daily in our kitchen by our chef and we pride ourselves on freshness and taste.

We are sorry that you found your breakfast was dry and we can only assure you of our high standards of using local, quality foods and cooking everything fresh and made to order.

Our price includes breads and free refills of Teas and Coffees but we will take your suggestions on board.

We would be very happy for you to contact us personally to ensure that we do not lose your valuable custom.
Please contact us info@gleesonstownhouse.com and we will ensure that you are satisfied to return and to give us another chance.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Eamonn Gleeson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Abbey Hotel
Ross House B&B
#2 of 6 in Roscommon
0 mi away
Jacksons Restaurant & Guesthouse

Been to Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant? Share your experiences!