“Never Again”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Roscommon
Dublin, Ireland
“Never Again”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Before You read my review, it might be worth knowing that I have never given any hotel I have reviewed up to now such a low rating. I am the type of person who does not let a few minor hic-ups ruin my stay or lead me to give a low opinion of a place, which is why when I booked this hotel for my wife and I, we ignored the negative reviews that we seen to our peril.

We Stayed one night in the Abbey Hotel (Room 29 in the old part of the hotel) booked it through a Groupon deal. Check in was very efficient and receptionist very nice. First impressions of the room were good, nice large room with 2 queen size beds and small sofa with a little walk in wardrobe in one corner and small ensuite with shower in the other corner. Everything about the room was quaint and oozed character.
However as the evening wore on this hotels quaint character showed itself even more and more. Things like -
The musty damp like smell in the room,
Hot water coming from both the cold and hot taps,
Loose and uneven floorboards walking into the ensuite,
Majority of light fittings missing bulbs,
No TV channels on the ancient television, and when it was eventually fixed , it was not for long and we were left with only 2 channels for the rest of the stay.
Jacuzzi in leisure centre not working on the afternoon of arrival.
Oh how my wife and I felt really lucky to be staying in a room with so much character.

But It Gets Better
We got to experience a cold night while sleeping as the heating is not left on during the night and these old buildings do not retain heat.
And then the Pièce de résistance.
Went to have a shave and this time there was only cold water from both taps and the water was spurting out the rust residues from the inside of old pipes. Same residues came from the shower when I tried that. We both ended up going to the leisure centre to have a shower there and we noticed that the Jacuzzi was fixed so we though,t great at least we can have a Jacuzzi.
Sat in the Jacuzzi and could feel grit in the water looked down and it was full of sand.
Earlier at the restaurant for the buffet breakfast, the sausages, rashers and sliced fried potatoes where like leather. We packed up and were out of this calamity of a hotel by 10:30.
Never never never again

Room Tip: If you do stay then I would advise that you aviod the rooms in the old part of the building
9 Thank Hoopmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

After my third visit to this hotel in 6 months I feel I can accurately review it.
Rooms: a lot of comments say it needs updating. I disagree, the rooms are charming and in line with the building. Very comfortable. On one visit we chose the suite in the old part & it's fabulous.
Spa: on first visit I felt it was in need of repair tiles etc, this had been done only return visit. Lovely space, good changing facilities.
Food: DELICIOUS! Those tempura batter chicken balls are to die for! I've had steaks, fish, desserts all spot on:
Breakfast: my only negative. First & second time were spot on. 3rd time everything had been deep fried, even the rashers. Didn't enjoy it at all but there was plenty of food & several
Alternatives to the 'fry'.
Staff: staff are the heart of the place, very accommodating & courteous.

Will definitely return & I would urge people to be aware of the room rates here, very good value for money. We paid either €59/€69 each time per night. Some reviewers are expecting 5* for this money.
Very pleasant place & a credit to the Greally family.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laineygm
Dublin
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for only one night in this beautiful hotel. Almost smack bang in the middle of the town. Outside the hotel is very well kept and clean. Plenty of signs asking smokers not to smoke at, or close to the entrance. Nothing worse than walking through that personally so very happy with the notice. Greeted really warmly by the receptionist. Key cards already prepared and just waiting for my signature. 30 seconds saw us on our way to the room. Overheard one guest comment that the hotel was dated and I suppose you could say that - but this isn't a motel six built five years ago andI i enjoyed the history and character of the place. Room was clean, warm and a decent size. Loved the door to the bathroom which looks like an old kitchen door. If I had only one gripe about the room it would be the shower. Neither powerful or hot enough.

Had a glass of wine in the bar before going in to dinner- remember to book though, this place is in high demand.

Dinner was in a word...superb. I had the scallops and black pudding to start and my partner had the goats cheese salad. Both were perfect. Had to wait a fair while for the mains but this was due to a massive booking that had arrived shortly before us so can't complain there. In fact, one of the managers came over and apologised for the delay and explained the resson. It wasn't a big deal anyway and we were both enjoying the relaxing atmosphere over a glass of wine between courses. Mains were again perfect. Fillet steak for me and scallops for my partner. We were so stuffed we split a dessert between us...creme bruleigh (spelling) with ginger and ice cream.

Breakfast was just as good. Full Irish with plenty of cereals, breads, fruits, yogurts and juices. But what set it apart was the manager greeting every person who came through the door, finding them a seat and giving a quick run down on the food available.

Checkout was hassle free too. Lovely lady by the name of Bernie done this for us. Asked about our stay and if everything was ok. You really get the sense of a very well run family hotel who take great joy and pride in their business.

I'll definitely be staying longer next time!!

• Stayed October 2013
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Arriving at the hotel we were blown away first of all by the setting and then by the friendliness and efficiency of the receptionist. Throughout our stay this was to continue for our weekend break.The food was delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel for whatever type of break you may be considering. There is plenty to do around the area also.

1 Thank Geraldine30
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Abbey Hotel Roscommon is a quiet location, set in beautiful grounds with welcoming staff. Open fires, a great pint of Guinness, lovely breakfast you get great value here.
Staying in the hotel allows access to the spa and pool too, so you can have a few lengths in the pool if you like.
A great find.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

If you want to get away and unwind, them this is the place to go. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is excellent, the rooms are spaces and clean and it's in a good location. We had a very pleasent mid week break. Would have no problem wreak amending this hotel to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nick M
Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2013

the pros for this hotel is the staff they are brilliant !! The hotel would really need a face lift especially the bathrooms around the tub is black and tiles are stained. The pool is lovely but for some reason it opens later on the weekend ! The bar food was ok but the bar its self is a very nice area to sit and relax with friends, The breakfast was very good and the beds though small are comfortable who ever designed the extension to this beautiful old hotel should be shot as it is a great big grey slab of concrete !!!

Room Tip: Regans bar in teh town is really good for dinner
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Hannon's Hotel
#3 of 9 in Athlone
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!