Abbey Hotel
$118
$198
$192
$160
Athlone Springs Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$138
$123
Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$106
$89
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$156
$150
TripAdvisor
All reviewsleisure centrebar foodlovely hotelon arrivalroscommon townfamily roombar staffcarvery lunchold worldold styleweekend breakour room was spaciousfew drinksa lovely staystayed for one nightfamily weddingwould highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Myself and my wife attended a family wedding in the Abbey 3 weeks ago, the food was gorgeous on the day and the staff were terriffic. The next day , this was not the case. We arrived down for breakfast on the sunday morning at half 10 to be seated at a dirty table with used delph from the previous couple seated at it (table 10) the young waitress proceeded to clear the plates and what not from the table while letting the clean cutlery for myself and my wife fall on the floor, the waitress then took these up(wiped them down with a cloth and left them back on our table) myself and my wife were amazed by this!! thankfully a waiter got us clean breakfast cutlery, we then had cereal and requested toast to be told by the waitress that it was 'to late in the morning for toast and that she was going on her break' never so digusted by a young woman's ignorance in all my life. We left the Abbey and had a beautiful breakfast in Gleeson's townhouse in the Square. We proceeded back to the Abbey for dinner at 7pm , i ordered the chicken and my wife had the same, we got talkin to the owner of the hotel we believe , was a friendly old man and told us alot about the town itself, but i was shocked to see his attitude towards his staff,and his behaviour front customers, my wife spotted that he was eating leftovers off a plate while clearing the table, after a good 15 min wait , the chicken arrived so we ignored the antics going on around us, until the owner approached our table and asked was the chicken 'ok'? we told him it was perfect, he seemed reluctant to believe this and grabbed my fork and started cutting my chicken up...i was horrified by this, he told us that he believed 'it ws to cold and had to be brought back' we put up a fight that it was perfect, but he was having none of it, we left the dinner and back into town we went again for dinner, this time to Regans. We arrived back at half 12 that night after a few drinks and was told by the young porter to keep our voices down that he was 'tired and had a pain in his head' as you can imagine we were once again shocked at the ignorance of staff at the Hotel , we continued to our room and 'kept quiet' to find a hoover there that was not put away, we rang reception but there was no answer, so my wife left it in the hall, the room was freezing and bed was as hard as a rock, and the noise was outrageous from the firealarm. I'd advise the owner's to have serious words with their staff and Do some serious renovation, perhaps start with the beds. It'll be the lastime we will be staying in the Abbey again. VERY POOR

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank paul c
abbeyhotel3, Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

After studying the above 'Review', we are left wondering was the reviewer referring to us at all. It is only recently that we were awarded an Restaurant Association Award for best Customer Service in Connaught.
The incidents that are described above are simply a long way removed from standards that we hold and are held to. For instance Breakfast service at weekends to facilitate wedding guests, runs up to and beyond 10.45am. Therefore nobody could have been refused service on staff breaks do not commence until 11.30am at least. neither is anyone associated with this hotel in the habit on interfering with customers meals against their wishes. While we accept the right of guests to give feedback and accept that on certain occasions standards may slip, we believe that the events described above are fictional. Should the reviewer wish to contact us regarding same, we are as always available.

The Management & Staff of the Abbey Hotel.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Its around 8 years ago that we stayed in the Abbey it was then tired and somewhat scruffy but I believe the bedrooms have been modernised.

In in a party of four whom had dinner here. Although the food was good the service wasnt and in fact was very poor.
Waiting staff seemed to be devoid of any personality,incompetent and totally disinterested.

Female waitress tried to hand me a menu while I was trying to get seated-only 3 tables occupied but it seemed she was in a rush. Later committed the waiting mortal sin by leaning across me while serving my son.

Male waiter constantly sniffing with a cold and had to be told that I had no knife for fish course but brought an ordinary knife.

Very slow to clear courses and once served all waiting staff disappeared in to kitchen,

When the meal was finished we were just left, my colleague had to eventually go and find someone to pay the bill.

Not one person said good night or showed any interest as we left.

All in all a very very poor experience

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Acallerinspects
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I recently attended a wedding in this hotel. wedding food and service and service at the wedding was good. We were very disappointed with the rooms 1st of all you pay an extra 51euro for 1 night stay for a double room, if your attending a wedding in the hotel. 140euro for double room b&b if your attending a wedding. The same night the following week (no wedding) double room b&b is 89euro... The bed in our room had seen better days, there was 2 flattened pillows on the small double bed there was 2 extra feather pillows in the wardrobe the they had a dirty protective pillowcase that the feathers was coming out through (it had been a while from it was changed) and there was a long black hair on it ( I was nearly sick as im blonde). The evening before we were to check in we received a message left on our answering machine to stay the leisure centre at the hotel would be closed on that day, but they had arranged for us to use the public swimming pool in town..(some good when you dont drive) The breakfast for the price was very disappointing.. I wont be staying at this hotel again and I would suggest they update there rooms and maybe get a few new mattresses.. They charge enough to stay here!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 351MichelleD351
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Got a one night stay on Groupon and we've never been to Roscommon so was looking forward to the stay
The check in was quick and efficient but lady was not friendly at all and a bit cranky she was a older woman
Room was lovely with the the amenities swimming pool was lovely was closing the next day though
The restaurant was lovely and the staff were very attentive and helpful
The breakfast was lively and an buffet which was tasty the man seating everyone was very nice and chatty
Only thing was the town there is absolutely nothing to do there
The abbey ruins are very interesting but would have liked a history explanation plaque

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank amandarounddworld
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel is close to the Railway Station and a walk is easily do-able. The hotel stands in its own grounds at the end of a longish driveway. There is plenty of parking.

Reception is cosy with the bar and restaurant to the right and accomodations and leisure centre in a newish wing to the left. The check-in was quickly taken care of by the friendly and efficient receptionist. That was after teas and coffees in the bar with work colleagues who weren't staying over. This too was served by friendly and attentive staff.

The room was quite a distance and from the reception the lift was unusually remote. It [the lift] was also on the slow side!

The room was at the back of the hotel and overlooked a staff car park and some services [gas tank, rubbish bins, etc] but had the advantage of overlooking the ruins of the abbey from which the hotel takes its name. It was quiet. The room was typical with a good bed [sheets and blankets, not duvet]. Bathroom/toilet had a bath with shower over and toiletries were supplied. The room was clean but showed the odd mark of wear & tear. The TV had a reasonable number of channels - about 10 or 12. There was also a clock/radio. There is tea/coffee facilities in the room.

I used the Leisure Centre which is free to hotel guests. It was quiet in the gym which has a small supply of cardio machines but fewer weights and that type of equipment for those who are into building muscle. The swimming pool is good and it is nice to relax after the workout and swim in the steam room [very hot] and sauna [not as hot as others I use] afterwards. One feature not often found in hotels and gyms is the refreshing Plunge Pool. The pool area was also very quiet and I met only a handful of local members during my hour or so there.

Dinner in the restaurant was equally quiet - is there a trend in this? A small family party were already seated and a couple were finishing up when I joined. Service was quick, friendly and efficient. I had the vegetarian dish which was well prepared and tasty. Plenty of bread and good butter was served throughout.

The bar area is large with a few offset room areas for more intimate conversations and meetings. I had a Guinness - good and well pulled - and picked an armchair with a lamp to read the evening newspaper supplied at the reception. That's something not normally available at hotels in my experience - the evening newspaper!

Breakfast was standard Irish but no fried eggs! There was a selection of juices and fruits + cereals to start. Tea or Coffee was served and the warm dishes are serve yourself buffet style. There were plenty of croissants and such like too.

Check-out like the arrival was friendly and efficient.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again in a private capacity if I needed to be in that part of Ireland in the future.

Room Tip: Front for 'public' area - gardens and car park & probably eveniing sunshine. Back for views over the Abbey [ruin] but includes service areas - but is not noisy]
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business