“staycation worth having”

Arigna Mining Experience
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Roscommon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Loved it, authentic people enthusiastically showing the kind of warmth and hospitality I'd expect from a foreign holiday. food in café was delicious and reasonably priced, well done

1  Thank michael w

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

The Arigna mining experience is well worth a visit. You get a glimpse of what it must have been like to work in the mine. Only a glimpse, as conditions must have been horrendous. Our guide Jimmy was friendly, kind and knew his stuff. The only complaint I have is that we had brought a picnic and we had to eat it outside, the day was quite chilly, we were not allowed to bring food inside to the cafe. In these recessionary days it would have been nice to eat in the warmth.

2  Thank drjackyjones
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I cannot recommend this centre highly enough. Emphatically not an "interpretive centre", this lets the visitor see the working environment of Irish miners in this area over many years. All the guides are ex-miners, and we were lucky to have Peter. His stories about the physical difficulties of mining in Arigna were simply astonishing, including mining before electric was brought to the area. It is a remarkable piece of Irish history, and a great opportunity to connect with what was, and still is, a very close-knit community. It is well signposted so stick with it, and from the centre you will have spectacular views of some of the most beautiful and underrated scenery in Ireland. Lovely coffee shop too, though I was so overwhelmed by the experience I could have done with a drink! I have nothing more to say only "go", even if you have to make a special trip - and bring your kids, they will love it.

1  Thank northernlite
Reviewed August 17, 2013

With 3 other people of a certain age I went to the mines. The man who was our guide knew all there was to know, he had worked there for some years before it closed. How miners were expected to work in those conditions and tiny gaps I will never know, but they did. It is a fascinating trip. Loved it.

1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great tour provided by ex miners.Very informative suitable for all ages. They bring you right into the mine down to the coal face and its such an eye opener to see the hardships these men endured.The location is beautiful as you can see right down into the valley. I recommend bringing a picnic to have after the tour to have while enjoying teh amazing views.

1  Thank Aero10