“Amazing!”

Arigna Mining Experience
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Roscommon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was a real privilege to get such an insight into the lives of the miners when we visited the Arigna Mines. Before we went on the tour we got a small glimpse into their lives. The drive up the hill gave us an idea of how far they had to walk each day to and from work, the surrounding scenery is beautiful and there is a small information centre to view before the tour starts. What I liked most about the tour is that it is given by an ex-miner who was able to give us a very informative tour. This is a tour not to be missed. I would thoroughly recommended it for anyone visiting Roscommon.

1 Thank Discovery2000

Dublin, Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem in North West”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

What a hidden gem the Arigna Mining Experience is! I had occasion to visit with a group for the first time last week and was I impressed! Our guide Jimmy was excellent, relating his personal experience and giving us great insight to the lives of the miners prior to the mine closure in 1990. The cafe is charming and all the staff at the centre most courteous especially as they were under pressure with such a large group descending upon them! The views over Lough Allen and Slieve and Iarainn were spectacular - well worth a visit!

1 Thank marygee22
Cork
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“An Enjoyable Trip”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Recently visited the mines and while I was a little apprehensive thinking they will charge a lot for a little tour, I really enjoyed it. The staff in the centre were very welcoming and friendly. The information centre as such just before the tour was actually quite interesting, and gave a very good insight into how life was for the families of the miners. The tour itself was fun, very cold so do bring a jacket. Love the way you get to wear the hard hat to get more into the experience. I did think the quide could have told us a little more but he was very friendly and did answer any questions we put to him. I would say the tour is a most definite stop. Great for kids and adults perhaps young kids no, as tis cold and damp. Will like to visit again thank you to all

1 Thank CorkMilly33
Dub
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Visited Arigna Mining today. Michael was our tour guide - he was fantastic, witty and full of interesting information. We ate in the cafè, food is FAB and very well priced. Nice, cosy and warm which was lovely after the cold mines. Overall a great experience with friendly staff. 'Hello Jimmy' sorry we missed you today.

1 Thank 402Cara13
morlandmonk
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

What an amazing place, the tour of the mines is fantastic and made even better by the fact that you go with a real miner who truly knows what it was like when the mine was working. We went with Michael and, if you are lucky enough to get him, do tell him he owes me 10c for using my petrol analogy!
I cannot recommend the café highly enough, the food is a good price, is brilliantly prepared and the craic is great.

Visited June 2013