“NOT to be tried!!! extremely disappointed!”

Douglas Hyde Restaurant - Kilronan Castle
Ranked #11 of 35 Restaurants in Roscommon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“NOT to be tried!!! extremely disappointed!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

i went here yesterday on a family day out. When we arrived i really admired the building and once we walked inside i really thought it looked fantastic! Once we went into the dining room for lunch, we were greeted by a not so friendly waitress. The tables and chairs weren't the most comfortable and seemed a bit dirty. I was the only one to order a starter from my group which was the seafood chowder... i waited 25 mins for this to arrive. It arrived with a thick skin of fat which made me realize it had been microwaved, it wasn't very tasty and extremely creamy! We waited an hour for the main courses to arrive, my mother and i ordered cod and it was in a light batter covered in salt and basically we couldn't eat it. my sister in law ordered steak and it was cold and not cooked to how she asked. I complained to the manager who wasn't very apologetic and explained to my sister in law that a steak shouldn't be served hot. He then asked..."what do you want me to do?", and said he would give us desserts for free. we asked for coffees to be served after the desserts and i asked for a fresh mint tea. They brought over the drinks before the dessert and didn't bring me a fresh mint tea but a peppermint tea(teabag). We were glad we didn't have to pay for the desserts as the sticky toffee pudding was like rubber and possibly the worst dessert Ive eaten. When i went to pay he still charged me for one dessert, when i questioned him he was very rude and abrupt. Before we left we asked to speak to a manager and the same guy came over. We told him how we felt and that the overall experience was not the standard of a 5 star hotel. He didn't take the criticism on board and continued to defend himself. I told him he should take the criticism on board so he can improve the service and deliver the standard the hotel should deliver. Ive been to so many 5 star hotels and this is not 5 star and they don't have 5 star management or staff. Overall i would give it 2 out of 10, 1 point for the lovely scenery and 1 point for the decor in the hotel. Don't go here for lunch as you will be very disappointed and its not worth the money.

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank Lauraarchway

“Real Irish Gem”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Travelled to the Caslte with family for Sunday Lunch.

Amazing back drop.

Had to wait for a table but that gave us the chance to explore the wonderful setting.

Really good value for money considering the surroundings.

Would highly recommend

• Visited April 2014
Boones Mill, Virginia
“Doesn't Measure Up”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Despite glowing menu descriptions and astronomical prices that should indicate gourmet quality,
the food was just average. Everything was cooked to order, but the aged steak was much tougher than prime beef should be. My wife's filet was tender but nothing special. Service was good.

• Visited November 2013
Ponce Inlet, Florida
“Retired in Ponce Inlet”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Dressy casual made us feel very relaxed. Service and food was
fabulous. We got a great laugh when our waiter,(Laurence), took our dessert order with Irish coffee. One of our party asked for Irish Whiskey on the side and our waiter immediately asked "Over and above....". We are still laughing over that!!!

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible Food - Highly UN-Recommended For Serious Foodies”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The menu reads like a Michelin restaurant but the experience was most definitely not. The food was edible but that's where it ends. It's hard to say exactly what is wrong (the chef for starters), it just was very very ordinary despite the very appetising description on the menu. In fact, I could have cooked better and I'm no real cook. The staff were just going through the motions and as they were foreign the whole theme of dining in an Irish castle was completely lost. I suppose every one has their own tastes and standards but if you are a serious food lover I would stay away to save disappointment.

• Visited April 2013