“Great restaurant”

The View Restaurant Bar
Cuisines: American, Irish, Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Established in 2012, The View Restaurant and bar is the ideal place to unwind. It has a uniquely designed bar and restaurant that offers panoramic views of Concra Wood Golf course and the surrounding lake of Lough Muckno.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Only found this recently and have been a few times for lunch. Kids portions are big enough for an adult. I'm looking forward to trying it for dinner sometime, but I won't be taking up golf...
Great value too

1  Thank Paul R
There are newer reviews for The View Restaurant Bar

Reviewed April 17, 2014

It is rare that something cannot be improved, so from that perspective it’s always worth looking for positives. This restaurant is quite a way off the main road, up an avenue that needs some care an attention. However, as is often that case, it is necessary to get off the main roads to find those views that really make Ireland beautiful. And this is true here. With the building perfectly positioned, the view is hidden from you as you move from the car park to the restaurant. It is only as you enter the restaurant that you get the ‘big reveal’ with a truly magnificent panoramic view of the lake, the golf course, and the surrounding countryside. The dining room itself is bright an open, and takes full advantage of the views., with the only downside being that it is perhaps a little too open… in the sense that it feels a little more like a dining hall, than a restaurant. But I can accept that getting the balance between maximising the views, and creating a proper restaurant feel, is difficult. So it is a fair statement to say this restaurant has potential. However, the problem is that no matter how good a view or a dining room is, or is not, as restaurant will always be judged firstly on its food, and secondly on its service. And this, unfortunately, is where this restaurant falls down. I recently ate here with my family, and we ended up with a mixture of main courses; lamb, beef, fish. To be fair, I think the central ingredient of the course was OK. The lamb was tasty and seems moist. The fish was succulent and again, seemed to be cooked to perfection. However the side dishes were truly terrible. The vegetables were sitting in a pool of butter/oil, and were tasteless. The mash potato lacked any seasoning, and had some really strange unpleasant taste which I still have not been able to put my finger on. The side portions of chips were edible, but only just, and certainly would not compete with the fresh chips in my local Fish & Chip shop. It’s as if the kitchen contains one solid chef who looks after the meat and fish, but only the meat and fish. While the other half of the kitchen makes a poor attempt at covering the rest of the meal. I’m sorry to be harsh, but if a restaurant cannot put up proper mash potato (not that I’m particularly a fan of mash), then there is something really wrong in the kitchen. The quality of service in the restaurant also caught the eye for the wrong reasons. It was not that it was terrible… not at all. The staff were friendly and pleasant. The problem was that there was (or appeared to be) only junior staff on the floor, and no evidence of experienced ‘front of house’ staff. More staff is not always better. Some of the best restaurants I’ve visited had one or two running the show. Unfortunately there is little point discussing value. To make a judgement on value, whatever you are buying, must reach some average quality. For a meal, I would suggest that this threshold is somewhere well above edible. For me and my family, we did eat the fish/meat but nothing else, so no price in this case, would represent value.
So I would love to see the management understand an exploit the potential of the location they have. And by ‘exploit’, I do not mean sit back and hope that the view alone carries the restaurant.
I’d love to say I’ll be back and hope to see an improvement…. But honestly, I don’t think so.

8  Thank Catkin730
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Played golf here on Tuesday and the course is on an amazing setting. After finishing the golf we decided to eat in the club house which was a good choice, the place was busy and had a great atmosphere and the food and service was excellent, I had the Cajun chicken burger which was delicious and I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

we played a round off golf here yesterday we had some tea and toast before we teed off, we took in the views which are spectacular from the restaurant after we finished we had too go back to restaurant for late lunch and take some photos

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Visited The View as a party of 11 which included 4 children at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and so glad they don't stop serving food in the middle of the day like so many other restaurants tend to do as we had such good food and delightful service. The girls on duty were very attentive and anything we asked for arrived quickly including drinks and extras; small things like jugs of juice and water on the table arriving promptly after we sat down and refilled without asking, do make a difference. The food was excellent, there were four steak sandwiches ordered and each one was cooked perfectly to order plus it was a really good sized sirloin which tasted delicious. The chips need a special mention as they most definitely have to be home made which again is a rarity in a lot of places today, delicious! Will definitely return.