“Could have been nice ... but wasn't”
Review of Slane Farm Hostel

Slane Farm Hostel
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Nice location and nice farm.
However the landlady was not friendly at all and the cottage was not clean. Cottage contains all necessary equipment but not all were working. About the shower:The heat of the water cannot be selected and the water just stops after some time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Slanecottages, Owner at Slane Farm Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2010

i am very disappointed to hear you did not have a good welcome at Slane farm. This would not be the normal . We are a long time running Slane Farm and have never received a complaint like this before.. If you could let me know the date you were here I can check up who was in charge and see what happened. I would like to make amends to you and invite you to stay anytime that might suite you here at Slane Farm and you will find you will not have the same experience.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

My daughter stay there on tues nite on her arrival she call me to say the sheets on the beds were all stained, body hair, even a tooth ( tooth fairy did not appear ) and neither did a cleaner they had to go out to buy new sheets and pillowcases a few even slept on the floor , as the beds were so bad, they left the new sheets there so maybe some one will wash them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We thought we were booking a small room with bath like everywhere else we stayed in that price range. Instead we were given a living room/kitchen separate bedroom with one set of bunks a double bed and bathroom. Lots of milk was left behind for our tea/coffee. It wasn't busy when we were there so it was very quiet. We didn't get towels or baked goods as others reported but they did turn on the heat in the morning and evening for a short time to take the dampness and chill out of the air (only 2 places in 10 days we were in Ireland turned on some heat). Overall it was the best place we stayed during our vacation in Ireland.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vik28
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I stayed in these lovely cottages while attending a wedding in Tankardstown house just 2 miles down the road. They are very clean and comfortable and our host Joanne suprised us by leaving home baked fairy buns in the cottage for us for when we came home. Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We stayed here our final few nights in Ireland. We knew it was self-catering, which is what we wanted. What a great deal! We stayed in a family room (not the hostel dorms or the private apartments), and it was perfect. The communal kitchen was next door. Our room was huge. Plenty of parking. A working farm with sheep and chickens. Just a five minute drive from the town of Slane, and easily accessible to all of the surrounding historical sites of County Meath and the area (Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Trim Castle, etc.). The rooms were a little cold, and there were frequently no proprietors around. But the price, location, and farmhouse experience can't be beat.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mlgibson
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We were a group of friends with children who retned four of the cottages for the weekend. It was perfect for what we needed. Lovely clean rooms with all facilities that we needed. Travel cots were provided as well all linens and towels. Kitchens were well stocked with all utensils and we were told that anything we needed could be found in teh hostel kitchen. The was an alnmost enclosed kind of tarmacadam area that allowed the (young) children to run around and be safe from cars etc. We had benches outside so were able to dine outside which was very pleasant. We booked an afternoon tea at the nearby Tankarrdstown house which is a beautiful setting, but they were a bit disorgansied and still finding their feet, but all mistakes were dealt with well and with a smile, so we still left as satisfied customers of Tankardstown also.
The donkey and the chickens proved big hits with the children and it's close enough to Slane village that you can take a short trip in the car to stock up on any provisions that you need. Prices reasonable and hosts could not have been more helpful, Would recommend anyone to stay here - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank FC331/3
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I booked Slane Farm Hostel the week before the Oasis tickets came out last year. I was assured that I would get a place in the hostel. When I confirmed my booking I was assured it was a place in the 'private' camp site as the hostel was fully booked. I didn't mind this too much as I enjoy camping and we are fairly seasoned campers at this stage. The alarm bells started to ring a few weeks before the concert when I still hadn't received any confirmation of our booking so I went ahead and mailed them. Joanne (the owner)came back to me and assured our booking was fine and that a reference number wouldn't be necessary. I assumed this was due to the fact that this was so 'private' that they knew all the people that were booked in. We arrived in Slane at about 10pm on the Friday before the gig. We got to Slane farm to be met by 100's of other campers. Our private camping turned out to be a field with 4000 (their words not mine)other revellers. This was pretty shocking considering the pictures on their website and the spiel I got when enquiring. The man on the entrance who was taking the rather hefty €50 per person for the weekend assured us there was 5 security guards, laughable considering he just told us they expected at least 4000 people there. We drove in to try and find somewhere relatively safe to park and pitch the tent. Alas this was not to be found, the field had huge troughs all through it like it had literally been ploughed that day and there was people driving around like crazy in there. We left and thankfully found the WONDERFUL Tish Harding in The Failte B&B (I'll write a review on there later). We went back to explain to Slane Farm that we wouldn't be staying and asked for a refund. The girl at the entrance (Joanne's Daughter) was quite possibly the rudest person I have ever dealt with in hospitality and I stay in a lot of places. She refused to acknowledge our concern and her only reply was no one else has complained. Needless to say I will NEVER return to Slane Farm Hostel. Please do not believe the crap and pictures on their website. It is all lies. Unfortunately on a weekend like the one just gone at Slane Farm money talks and peoples health, well-being and comfort is not important. Such a disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Effes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slane
Spoon and the Stars
Rock Farm Slane
Rock Farm Slane
#1 of 3 in Slane
College Hill House B&B

Been to Slane Farm Hostel? Share your experiences!