“Beautiful location”

Book In Advance
More Info
$45.57*
and up
Celtic Heritage Day Trip from Dublin: Boyne Valley, Hill of Tara and Loughcrew...
San Diego, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I thought the castle was very nice but nothing really stood out for me. The grounds were especially impressive. They had a few historical touches (a suit in a glass box!) The food was good but not exciting. The bathroom had a strange weedy smell. Maybe it was the river?

Visited September 2013

Ardara, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Inside Tour”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Took a guided tour inside Slane castle. Just the two of us, tour guide was very nice.! Lots to see and a bit of history. €7 for the guided tour was fairly reasonable and didn't mind paying it as they are trying to repair 2million worth of damage from a fire. Castle's inside and outside have been very well restored after the fire and is well kept.! Only bad thing is that you couldn't take any pictures inside the castle :(

1 Thank heather b
Limerick, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Historical Tour Slane Castle”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went on a tour of Slane Castle this Summer, it was a busy Sunday and there were a lot of tourists around. I didn't know much about the castle but I was amazed by the beautiful architecture and the fascinating history of the castle. An Eminem concert was happening the week after I was there so we saw the stage etc being set up which was so cool. All the guides were so interesting and helpful, they really went out of their way to give you a good tour and took the time afterwards to offer advice on local restaurants and other attractions and how to get there. They were really brilliant, despite the guides they castle could have been better set up for tourists, a gift shop or cafe wouldn't have gone amiss. I would have liked to have bought some concert memorabilla or to have seen more photos or videos of past concerts. This aside it was a very interesting visit that my teenage niece also enjoyed. It was also excellent value for money as the guide spends about 45 minutes with you for 7 euro and they put a lot of effort into the tour. It would have been great to have got a brochure with ore pictures of the castle. I will certainly return when the new whiskey distillery is built!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nightmare day”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I recently flew from England to Dublin to go see eminem at slane castle , it was an awful day . the coach dropped us off miles away as all roads are closed and you have to walk for miles to get to the castle , it was an interesting 4 mile walk with so many drunk people trying to stand let alone walk . Security is split into male / female so I was separated from my partner a few times , a bit scary as so busy and seemed unorganised . Once in the venue it was rammed full and this was at 6pm .
Seemed nowhere to get a break from the men peeing wherever they pleased and the drunk wasted people falling all over you . I've never seen anything like it in my life !
I knew that getting home would be impossible and i just did not feel safe so I left before eminem even came on !
NEVER would I recommend slane castle as a concert venue !

Southampton, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Review of Experience at Eminem Concert - 17 August 2013”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I booked tickets to see Eminem at Slane Castle on 17th August 2013 and flew from the UK to Dublin to do so.

I'd planned everything in advance including a return bus ticket from Dublin to Slane on the day of the concert.

Getting to Slane on the day of the concert was a nightmare, with coaches parked on the left side of the road, causing delays and traffic jams, coaches allowing their passengers to stop off and take comfort breaks at the side of the road, absolutely shameful!

The bus dropped us off and it was a VERY long walk slightly up hill to get inside the venue, with various security checks along the way, which was all dealt with very quickly, security staff were very good, and people went through in quick time. However, I was travelling with a male companion and we were seperated several times because of the security checks being one queue for the men and one queue for the women! I understand why this is undertaken, but with a big crowd it's a bit scary that you may end up on your own!?

Once inside the venue, the view from the top of the hill looking down at the stage and castle and the crowd was absolutly overwhelming, just what I expected. It was a great party atmosphere everyone in good spirits through the duration of the concert. I throroughly enjoyed the whole day and to top it off the rain stayed away.

My BIG negative was the exits at the end of the concert. Why just one exit SLANE? One exit for 83,000 people to find their way out of? It was traumatising to say the least. We were pushed, shoved, squashed, almost trampled on our way out. Once at the exit, where to go?? The signs were not very clear to lead us back to the Dublin Bus pick up point and no one seemed to want to help us find our way, not even the security, staff or Guarda that were working at the venue. It took us from 10.45 and 4 hours later hours walking in what I don't what direction to reach the pick up point. Then a further 2 hours to get back to Dublin.

What an absolute disaster and rubbish end to what was in fact one of the best concerts I've ever been too in my life!

So on that note, I will NEVER visit Slane Castle to attend a concert again, EVER!!