“Bon Jovi concert June 2013” 3 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
$44.21*
and up
Celtic Heritage Day Trip from Dublin: Boyne Valley, Hill of Tara and Loughcrew...
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Bon Jovi concert June 2013”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

One thing I never read anywhere when booking tickets for Slane Castle was that it isn't good for people with walking difficulties.
I stayed in a Hotel approx 40mins away. The hotel had a coach transfer for guests. The roads leading towards Slane Castle are closed very early, before 2.30pm and the coach drop off point is more than a 1 hour walk away! Having never been to Slane Castle before I was quite shocked at this. I arrived at the gates about 10 minutes before they opened. When they opened there was approx 30 people let in then the rest of us were left standing waiting another 30 minutes with no explanation. After entry there was another 20-30 minute walk. This was not a pleasant walk, it was along a path that wasn't very wide and the ground was uneven and covered with pebble-like stones which were very hard to walk on. Reminded me of walking in snow or on sand...the earth below moved with every step.
The grounds at Slane Castle are huge. I paid the extra to have a seat, which after the awful walk I was glad off, but I didn't realise just how far away I would be from the stage. I could barely make out the figure on stage, yet i have perfect vision. On either side of the stage was a screen but this run a few seconds behind which was very off-putting.
There was plenty places to get food and drinks. I think they served just about every type of food and i even saw a stall selling coeliac friendly food.
Plenty of toilets but still not enough - though i doubt there would ever be enough its just one of those things. There was no running water in the porta-loos but there were stands with hand disinfected outside which i thought was a very good idea.
The fence to the left of the stage was lined with men urinating. Obviously the toilet queues didn't bother them too much. I was surprised this was allowed though, not once did i see anyone trying to stop this.

I cant fault Bon Jovi one bit. They played a 3 hour set which is the longest i have known any act to play. I have always wanted to see Bon Jovi live....and i still do. Unfortunately for me being so far away made it seem a little unreal. I would never again go to a concert at Slane Castle unless i was staying in Slane village.

Navan, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great Music Venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've been to a good few concerts in Slane over the years and just back from Bon Jovi concert. I believe the grounds can hold up to 80,000 but not too sure on this, the Castle in the backdrop is nothing shy of beautiful. Slane Castle is about 15 mins from Navan and easily accessible on the N2. Public Transport is the way to go if attending a concert but be ready to walk anywhere up to 3 miles to get there as buses cannot go all the way in. Agree with previous posters regarding the toilets this year, definitely not enough, great food choices, signage for exiting wasn't bad and there was a loud speaker constant giving instructions, love music evennts? - love Slane Castle!!

Wexford, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Bon Jovi concert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Concert excellent, entry system needed signs and better organisation, too few toilets, loads of food choices.

1 Thank sara22h