“Great Fathers Day Lunch”

Brabazon Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Slane
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Appropriately named after the previous owner of Tankardstown, our flagship restaurant boasts fine dining and a cosy atmosphere. With recent accolades including 2AA Rosettes, RAI's Best Chef in Meath and Best Hotel Restaurant in Meath, Brabazon Restaurant offers diners a feast for the eyes and the palate.
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Fathers Day Lunch”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My family treated mr to lunch here on Fathers Day and it could not have been better,
We arrived late but this was not a problem as their service is top class. This service continued right through the meal. Our party of four all had different choices and everyone came out impressed.
The location and the surrounds add to the ambience and overall I can highly recommend.

• Visited June 2014

Dublin, Ireland
“Best Dinner in Ages (nearly)”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Put simply, the food was excellent, as good as I have had anywhere else matching the likes of Chapter 1. Why not 5 stars then? The service was ok but not first class and the layout was more country kitchen than fine dining (no tablecloths for example). Service aside let me provode more details on the highlights as follows:

Wine: the manager recommended our wine, excellent choice and very friendly service.

Main course: we both had beef, presentation was fantastic with taste to match. Only downside was that my wifes meal was not very warm and she had to send it back.

Dessert: I had souffle, one of the best desserts I've ever had (yes it was truly that good). My wife had what was basically a plate of chocolate served in many different formats and textures, again the presentation was amazing and it tasted great.

Overall, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited May 2014
“Easter Lunch!!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We (4) had Easter Sunday lunch here on 20 April 2014 having been a number of times before (it was always of a very high standard). This time - oh dear - what an absolute shambles. A new chef we were told. Poor quality food, odd combinations (spiced beef with pistachios and cheddar??? and no it definitely did not work), belly of pork so fatty it was hardly cooked - not rendered down at all - just fat on a plate, watery greens thrown on the plate - what tasted like heinz apple baby food on the side (so sweet it was horrible). Tough chewy roast beef with a cold roast potato - asked for medium - came out just shot. A carvery in your local pub would have been ashamed. A memorable meal for all the wrong reasons. The chef obviously doesn't taste the food or care about the presentation or quality. We complained but nothing was done. Avoid - like I will in the future.

4 Thank Paul D
United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing evening”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had an absolutely amazing meal at the Brabazon Restaurant on Wednesday 16 October, nothing was too much trouble for the staff, especially Derek the manager. We had 7 courses, all 7 were absolutely delicious. A taste of luxury in a beautiful setting.

• Visited October 2013
ireland
“COULD DO BETTER!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Good and bad, hit and miss. First of all, if anyone at the restaurant is reading this, please attend to your website and fix it, it really is absolutely terrible and almost put us off going. There’s no excuse these days a website to be so appallingly bad and it gives the impression that nobody really cares, and that’s not a good impression to have before even stepping into the restaurant.
Anyway…the restaurant is lovely. Nice and bright and decorated very tastefully.
I was disappointed by the menu as it was a set menu of 3 courses for 39 or 45euro (I forget how much) and the choice was quite limited.
A free amuse bouche of gazpacho was fine, nothing to write home about. My wife had the starter of a zucchini flower supposedly stuffed with lobster but there was no lobster to be found, so the description was a bit of a con and just deceptive. I opted for the ham hock terrine which is usually tasty but My God! What arrived was the smallest, meanest little piece of terrine that I’ve ever been given in a restaurant. It must have been one inch by two inches and was barely big enough to fit half a quail egg on top. Honestly, I’m looking at the photo now and it really is absolutely pathetic. So starters – nil points!
The mains were better. I opted for the roast chicken (as it’s all I fancied from the 3 or 4 choices) and it was served with a fondant potato, a fairly generous portion of china, a chicken bon bon and has shaved summer truffles over the top. The dish was very tasty, was a good portion size and the truffles gave everything a really delicious flavour. My wife had a scallop and clam dish which she said was quite nice.
Desserts next and we were both very excited to see Eton Mess on the menu and my wife won the toss for who got to enjoy that whilst I got the runner up prize of sticky toffee pudding, which was another favourite. What arrived was neither Eton mess nor sticky toffee pudding but seemed to be the result of a chef being rather too pretentious and not giving the customers what they ordered. He has obviously watched one too many episodes of Masterchef.
I was particularly annoyed by the Eton mess which came out as a spoonful of cream, a bit of jelly and a handful of tiny meringues arranged supposedly artfully on the plate. Rubbish. It wasn’t Eton Mess. It wasn’t even a clever Eton mess. It’s very hard to get Eton Mess wrong. It’s simply strawberries, meringues and cream all mixed (messed) together roughly in a glass. But this failed utterly.
My sticky toffee pudding was similarly “de-constructed”. A couple of cubes of brownies a measly inch wide with a tiny scoop of ice cream and a bit of banana which had been deep fried in a vermicelli casing. It all tasted just ok, but I would have preferred to have got what we asked for and what was on the menu. Too clever, too clever by half.

Fail!

Staff? Well, again hit and miss. The chap who seemed to be looking after us disappeared half way through the meal to be replaced by a couple of waitresses. He seemed interested in us at first but this seemed to wane and when he cleared our dishes, food fell off onto the table and he didn’t bother returning to clear it up. It sat there for 15 minutes until I asked someone to clear it. There was no rush between courses nor after we had finished which I suppose was a good thing but I just would have like the service to be a touch better.

So, not terrible, not fantastic…but quite good and I actually would go back again and give them another chance as the room is so lovely and the larger hotel to which it belongs has beautiful grounds. But they do need to up their game, it won’t take much. Be a bit more attentive, tell the chef to tune down the pretension a little and don’t be so mean and stingy and with the started.
So, it’s a 3 out of 5. Could do better!

• Visited June 2013