“COULD DO BETTER!”

Brabazon Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Slane
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Appropriately named after the previous owner of Tankardstown, our flagship restaurant boasts fine dining and a cosy atmosphere. With recent accolades including 2AA Rosettes, RAI's Best Chef in Meath and Best Hotel Restaurant in Meath, Brabazon Restaurant offers diners a feast for the eyes and the palate.
ireland
“COULD DO BETTER!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Good and bad, hit and miss. First of all, if anyone at the restaurant is reading this, please attend to your website and fix it, it really is absolutely terrible and almost put us off going. There’s no excuse these days a website to be so appallingly bad and it gives the impression that nobody really cares, and that’s not a good impression to have before even stepping into the restaurant.
Anyway…the restaurant is lovely. Nice and bright and decorated very tastefully.
I was disappointed by the menu as it was a set menu of 3 courses for 39 or 45euro (I forget how much) and the choice was quite limited.
A free amuse bouche of gazpacho was fine, nothing to write home about. My wife had the starter of a zucchini flower supposedly stuffed with lobster but there was no lobster to be found, so the description was a bit of a con and just deceptive. I opted for the ham hock terrine which is usually tasty but My God! What arrived was the smallest, meanest little piece of terrine that I’ve ever been given in a restaurant. It must have been one inch by two inches and was barely big enough to fit half a quail egg on top. Honestly, I’m looking at the photo now and it really is absolutely pathetic. So starters – nil points!
The mains were better. I opted for the roast chicken (as it’s all I fancied from the 3 or 4 choices) and it was served with a fondant potato, a fairly generous portion of china, a chicken bon bon and has shaved summer truffles over the top. The dish was very tasty, was a good portion size and the truffles gave everything a really delicious flavour. My wife had a scallop and clam dish which she said was quite nice.
Desserts next and we were both very excited to see Eton Mess on the menu and my wife won the toss for who got to enjoy that whilst I got the runner up prize of sticky toffee pudding, which was another favourite. What arrived was neither Eton mess nor sticky toffee pudding but seemed to be the result of a chef being rather too pretentious and not giving the customers what they ordered. He has obviously watched one too many episodes of Masterchef.
I was particularly annoyed by the Eton mess which came out as a spoonful of cream, a bit of jelly and a handful of tiny meringues arranged supposedly artfully on the plate. Rubbish. It wasn’t Eton Mess. It wasn’t even a clever Eton mess. It’s very hard to get Eton Mess wrong. It’s simply strawberries, meringues and cream all mixed (messed) together roughly in a glass. But this failed utterly.
My sticky toffee pudding was similarly “de-constructed”. A couple of cubes of brownies a measly inch wide with a tiny scoop of ice cream and a bit of banana which had been deep fried in a vermicelli casing. It all tasted just ok, but I would have preferred to have got what we asked for and what was on the menu. Too clever, too clever by half.

Fail!

Staff? Well, again hit and miss. The chap who seemed to be looking after us disappeared half way through the meal to be replaced by a couple of waitresses. He seemed interested in us at first but this seemed to wane and when he cleared our dishes, food fell off onto the table and he didn’t bother returning to clear it up. It sat there for 15 minutes until I asked someone to clear it. There was no rush between courses nor after we had finished which I suppose was a good thing but I just would have like the service to be a touch better.

So, not terrible, not fantastic…but quite good and I actually would go back again and give them another chance as the room is so lovely and the larger hotel to which it belongs has beautiful grounds. But they do need to up their game, it won’t take much. Be a bit more attentive, tell the chef to tune down the pretension a little and don’t be so mean and stingy and with the started.
So, it’s a 3 out of 5. Could do better!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank cartagia

London
“Very good value”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is the best restaurant in the area for good food, good service and a special occasion, without spending a fortune.

Visited July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Terribly disappointing”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Myself and 4 friends went to Tankardstown for a meal last weekend on a rare girly night out. There had been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing as to where we would go before we all agreed on here. We wanted nice food and cocktails which, we were assured by the website, would certainly be provided. This would prove not to be the case.

When we arrived, we were very impressed with the surroundings. It really is a beautiful spot with fabulous gardens and a lovely outside seating area. The restaurant, similarly, was beautifully decorated.

Unfortunately things went downhill from here. We were greeted by a man who took our boats and on checking the booking informed us that we were at table 5 before pointing to a table on the far side of the restaurant, leaving us to make our own way over. I have never experienced this before. A different server gave up menus and a wine list. We were also given a basket of quite nice bread. We ordered and wine was brought over. One of the girls tasted it and made some joke about it tasting awful (while laughing) to which the waiter replied "well tough, its opened now" in a really obnoxious tone. We had all been a bit giddy and giggly until that point and now were feeling quite awkward.

The starters arrived suspiciously quickly. I liked mine but some of our party really didn't like theirs. The mains arrived quite quickly also. We were starting to wonder if they wanted us out quickly but the place was nearly empty! I enjoyed mine but the others all ordered fish which was bland. The only side given was some broccoli which was ok but how wrong can you go boiling a bit of broccoli and throwing some salt on it? It wasn't drained properly though and was sitting in a pool of water.

We were given dessert menus and these were amazing but we were asked twice in less than 2 minutes if we were ready to order dessert!

In the case of all 3 courses, the plates were dumped in front of us instead of being placed and in the case of 1 dish, placed on the joint between the 2 tables causing it to wobble.

Other issues with the service:
1. Other than initially pouring our wine, no-one approached us to top it up and we did this ourselves.
2. We weren't asked if we wanted more drinks
3. It took us ages to get the attention of a server to get the bill even though there were only a few people still in the restaurant (and what appeared to be loads of staff)

I want to point out that the 2 waitresses were lovely. The men who served us were sullen, rude and standoffish.

And don't get me started on the bar. I'll do a separate review.

Needless to say, we won't be returning.

• Visited May 2013
9 Thank Anne B
Navan, Ireland
“Wonderful”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We went for a family meal last night, April 20th to celebrate my husband's birthday. I was so impressed at the welcome and attention we received and particularly that afforded to our three children. It is not many restaurants of this calibre that would be so welcoming to younger customers. The maitre d in particular was wonderful.

The food as always here was excellent. This was our third visit ( first with the children) and it didn't disappoint. The children were offered an amuse bouche with us which was a lovely gesture.

A perfect night for a birthday celebration. Every credit to the fantastic staff at The Brabazon, Tankardstown, undoubtedly the best restaurant in Co. Meath.

Try to go if you can!

• Visited April 2013
Ashbourne, Ireland
“A great night at the Babazon”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We dined at the Barbazon on a Saturday night. The place was very quiet, we were the fist customers to arrive at 6.30pm. We had a choice of table and this was nice. The open fire and the great bid radiators gave the place a nice romantic feeling.

The staff were very attentive a recognised we had been there before for Sunday lunch.

The foofd was excellent, well prepared, nicely presented and delicious to eat. We spent two hours in this wonderful restaurant and we look forward to coming back before year end.

The restaurant is top quaility and deserved a Micheln Star.

• Visited April 2013