“Dave , Kells”

The Poets Rest
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Slane
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Established in 2011, The New Poet's Rest fuses classic and modern cuisine in a casual and contemporary setting. Newly refurbished in 2014 with revamped menus with all time favourites and new additions of our own invention, we have something for everyone. Whether it's a quiet night out for two, or a bigger occasion, we cater to all. Dietary requirements can be met also. Bookings or walk ins.
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

We ate here as a family 2 Adults and 3 kids after a day out . We found the food , service and staff to be of the highest quality. This restaurant is a hidden gem and we will definitely be calling again very soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

this is a very good restaurant. Food is excellent every time i go in it gets better refurbished resently, excellent staff, could do with draft beer.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I only went here once but have never had food like it!! It was a voucher we bought on a deal site for a four course meal so I was expecting a basic menu.... However the menu was fantastic, great choice, great service, lovely setting, can't wait to go back, only complaint was they didn't serve a great selection of pints, got one and it wasn't cold so didn't get another, overall excellent place :-)

1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Reopened after a tasteful refurbishment. Newly installed pizza oven. Delicious pizza! Same friendly welcome & attentive service. The food was always good here & now the decor matches. Recommended without hesitation.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I live locally so I've eaten here a few times in all its incarnations (both under current management and previous) with varied experiences. I had found it a bit hit and miss on occasion; sometimes I got a great meal and my dining partner didn't or vice versa, and on one memorable occasion we were turned away (with a booking) presumably because the restaurant was empty and they weren't bothered staying open for one couple, but when it was good it was very good, and the staff are always excellent.

It reopened last week and has added wood-oven pizza and a tapas menu, as well as the original menu. We went last night and I had the tapas special, which was effectively three starters for €15, and my husband had the 8oz sirloin on a stone for €15. My tapas were Thai fish cakes with noodles, crab claws and nachos. I've never had claws with more meat on them anywhere, including the US, and the fishcakes and nachos were delicious and nicely presented. I swiped my husband's garlic mayo which came with the steak for the crab claws, but I could have just requested some if necessary (they came with sweet chilli sauce). Great addition to Slane, and potentially a cheap night out if you just want two pizzas and two glasses of wine (which would come to less than €30). Planning on going back next week to try the pizzas which are also being sold as takeaway and are apparently flying out the door, which bodes well. They've had the place redecorated and it's much brighter and nicer than it has been previously and the new banquettes are very comfortable, and of course the waitress as always was fantastic, professional, friendly and made us feel very welcome.

2  Thank Notmyrealname32