“Close but no cigar”
Review of Bellinter House

Bellinter House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Navan
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Stayed 1 night with 2 young children in S1, a stable with 2 bedrooms, paying 310 E on a package booked through Mr and Mrs Smith.

On the plus side, the children loved the indoor pool and hot tub, service was unfailingly helpful and courteous and breakfast well executed.

However, there were a huge number of niggles that you might excuse in a roadside motel but not in a boutique hotel of this standing: dirty public rooms; a foul smell of drains in our bathroom; shabby rather than chic decor in desperate need of refurbishment; the outdoor pool left unclean and out of service; piles of rubbish and bins on open view; a real eyesore of a storeroom right beside the main building; obvious staff shortages resulting in 30 minute waits for drinks to arrive. I could go on. Most disappointing of all was the desperately poor quality of food in the lounge at lunch and from Eden at dinner. You have to wonder how the kitchen can fail to cook an edible burger and chips. The smokies were the only dish that bore any resemblance to the excellent Eden in Dublin.

In summary, the overall impression was of sloppy, lazy management cutting corners to save costs. A real pity as this could so easily be a fantastic hotel with a bit more t.l.c.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank bonviveur

Reviewed May 22, 2009

This was my first visit to Ireland and a friend recommended a stay in Bellinter House.
We got a free upgrade to a fabulous room in the main house . It was very comfortable and well equipt. The view from the windows was stunning, despite the rainy weather.
Had I stayed longer I would certainly have used the pool and sauna. I especially liked the window wall in the sauna overlooking the garden.
We stayed for a meal in the evening which I thoroughly enjoyed. The waiter was charming and made us feel comfortable.
I had my first Irish breakfast ever ( and last .....incredibly tasty but who can eat 2000 calories every morning ? ) . The butter was a bit dodgy .
The staff were remarkably friendly. I had a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DiShak
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I never take the time to write reviews and typically feel the people who do are the nit picky complainer types who generally can't be pleased. On this occasion though I have had an experience so fantastic I feel compelled to take the time out of my day to share with others and recognize Bellinter House for it outstanding performance.

I’m American but my husband and I wanted to have a small wedding in Ireland. So I planned our wedding from the US never having been to Navan or to Bellinter. I was essentially planning blind except for pictures on the internet, travel site reviews, and email/phone contact with the hotel. In initially selecting a hotel I looked on trip advisor where I found some mixed reviews… this caused me to waiver for several months before electing Bellinter House. We were willing to get married literally anywhere in Ireland but just wanted it to be the perfect place for our special day.

Long story short... For us this was it!! From start to finish Bellinter got it just right. The pre-planning assistance, the rooms, the food, the public areas, pool, spa, grounds... absolutely everything was fantastic. Picture perfect! Now for those of you thinking maybe my standards are low.... I used to be a wedding planner. I have planned weddings with budgets I can't even dream of on private estates and in some of the most posh hotels in the world... I've seen it all and I believe while it grounded me into wanting something a little less over the top for my own nuptials I still had high expectations.

If you are looking for the 5 star service and the appointments you might find at a hoity- toity hotel in the city...keep driving. That's not what this is about... this is a home outside your own. It's a place you wish you could call home. It is a magical picturesque place where you can walk down the back stairway in your bare feet, hike around gorgeous green lawns and ancient willow trees. It’s romantic and special beyond words. At Bellinter I found the best mix of old and new style but with a relaxed homey comfort to it all. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic country get away or event.

• Stayed: March 2009
2  Thank LoLoSeattle
Reviewed April 14, 2009

This is the second time we have been to Bellinter in the past 12 months and I can say again without a doubt that it does not disappoint :)

If you are looking for a weekend to get away from the hassle of city life, work or stress then this is definitely the place to go. Beautiful surroundings and so peaceful, very chilled out drawing room and bar area where the staff are all so friendly and helpful, fantastic restaurant too with a good buzzy atmosphere at night.

Stayed in the Ruins before and the Stables this time (which is definitely the winner to date!)

For those who feel that may be getting too chilled out (never!), the house is even close to some brilliant heritage sights like The Hill of Tara and Newgrange so all round great spot and great place to stay!

Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband and I spent one night in Bellinter House over Easter 2009. Overall we and had a lovely relaxing time but there were some disappointments.

PROS
- Great chilled out and relaxed atmosphere
- Friendly staff
- Receptions/lounge all nicely decorated, eclectic mix of furnishings
- Nice spa, pool and outdoor hot tub
- Lovely bathroom with soaker tub and rain shower
- Budda bag and large plasma tv with media centre in our room
- Food was good, had nice evening meal and breakfast.

CONS
- No porter to carry our bags, our room was up 4 flights of stairs
- Our room was not fully restocked, missing tea-cakes and shortage of toilet roll
- Some of the hotel furnishings are worn and torn with marks on walls etc.
- Pool area had no towels and was unsupervised so nobody to ask where we could get them
- Splashed out on a room in the main house and we were allocated the Attic room which was lovely but it was not the same standard as the other rooms in the main house in terms of view/decor. I think this room is overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rendral
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I am writing this review from the hotel itself. The drive up here is beautiful-no potholes!
The staff are excellent-I hope they are well paid. The exterior is made in heaven. The library is quite small. The Eden is a tad pricey but the food is lovely. The famous swivel chairs are not as bad as in previous reviews-you will get used to them. The outdoor pool is still un-finished & is full with stagnent water. The pool area IS A glorified portacabin & seemed to me to be un-supervised. The pool floors ARE dirty & the changing rooms were littered with used towels & were un-supervised. The hot tub does indeed have a cover which you must remove to get in but its fine really. We stayed in the ruins. The plasma TV is huge & the bed very comfortable. We only had a shower & the door fell off. Our iron was broken & spilled water all over the floor & my shirt. I did notice the room was warm but I was fine with it. Our window could be opened from the outside! There was no dresser so my wife had to use the bathroom to get ready, there are no sockets in the bathroom so she could not use the hair dryer. My wife generally liked the room but it looked like a converted stable to me & here lies the problem. Some reviews are excellent & some are average- they are based on the individuals experiences. We stayed for 1 night & between the room & the food etc it cost us €350. You should really be getting excellent reviews full stop. Roll the dice, its your choice, but personally I would expect more for the money.

3  Thank rodzer
Reviewed March 10, 2009

A beautiful location, friendly and efficient staff, great food, great facilities ... magnificent break!

My wife and I booked a special offer single night midweek break plus a spa treatment each. We arrived in time for lunch and our room was available straight away and we were upgraded to the main house. The room itself was fantastic and we'd no problems with the modern control systems except when trying to control the lights. It's modern chic and pretty cool with exotic furniture mixed with elegant surroundings.

The Spa and Pool are outside the main building. My wife loved the spa treatments and chilled away a good part of the afternoon. I enjoyed the pool all to myself although there was a problem with the Sauna. The steam room worked OK - you have to turn these on yourself using the controls at the main door.

A special word of praise to the staff. They are very friendly and personable, and go out of their way to ensure that you enjoy your stay. I can't say enough good things about them.

I'm looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FromIreland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Navan
Newgrange Hotel
The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to Bellinter House? Share your experiences!