“Run down shabby and over priced”
Review of Bellinter House

Bellinter House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Navan
Arklow, Ireland
“Run down shabby and over priced”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Myself and the other half decided to try this manor house hotel when an offer came up on groupon. The pictures looked fantastic and the facilities were just what we were looking for and so we booked for1 night over the February midterm. From the minute we arrived we were bitterly disappointed. First off our room was not ready despite arriving at 4 pm in the afternoon so we headed into the dusty, grubby drawing room to wait where we had plenty of time to review the cracks in the ceilings and cobwebs in the corners. When our room was ready we were escorted to a pokey hole in 'The Ruin' with a tiny bathroom and messy bedroom with dirty under wear on the floor. Needless to say we requested another room. The receptionist (with a sour face) went to check if she had another room available and so we moved to a slightly bigger but dirtier, grubbier and ill maintained room. The light switches didn't work, the ironing board and door handles were broken (someone walked into our room the next morning while I was getting dressed) and the bath plug didnt fit!! We grudging accepted this room hoping that as the evening wore on the character and charm of the premises would appear. Needless to say that did not happen. We went to dinner in the Eden restaurant that night. Having precariously manouvered down the rickety slippy spiral staircase we were greeted by sour faced waitresses who escorted us to our table. The menu looked fab and I thought yes finally they have gotten something right. I spoke too soon the food had no flavour (basic seasoning is a must) and our starters were bigger than the main. We left the restaurant hungry and sneezing from the dust all over the room. Heading back to our room we were greeted by a terrible noise coming from the radiators which continued throughout the night and kept us both awake. Weary and bleary eyed we awoke the next morning and headed to breakfast. Cooked to order the menu said well we've both had better buffet breakfasts with much higher quality food than the anaemic sausages, rock hard tomatoes and barely scared by the frying pan eggs. We left hungry. Following breakfast I had booked an hour spa treatment in the Bathhouse Spa (it was like pulling teeth trying to get them to fit me in the week before). I was reluctant to go as I did not want to spend any more money in this terrible excuse for a hotel. However I was pleasantly surprised by the Spa. Although the lady on the desk (I assume to be the manager or something) was quite rude and unhelpful the lady who completed by treatments was lovely and did an amazing job!! After the spa we decided to check out early (they had offered us late checkout but Id rather drive five miles down the road and sleep in the car than spend any longer there). Upon leaving we told the lovely woman at reception about our grievances and she was more than apologetic giving us a discount on our bill. However this did not make up for a disappointing night away and I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

4 Thank Melissa88_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We booked for one night,2 course dinner,breakfast and Spa Treatment. After changing to go to the pool we found the builders there digging it up!! We had never been informed and the staff were unapologetic.The pool was one of the reasons we went there. We didn't want to avail of the outdoor hot tub with the diggers, dust and builders looking on!
The room was lovely R3 with a big copper bath.
The Green Tea bath was nice but the bath must have been used previously for a seaweed bath and needed a better scrub.
The restaurant was ok,The menu was quite limited and starters and mains did not impress but a lovely desert.
Overall it was a nice place with lovely grounds and rooms, but the little things let it down, only one light working in bedroom (not good when dressing for a 'fancy restaurant', very hard to turn on shower,no pool.
After spending over E300 definitely not value for money! If the meal had been better we would have forgotten the little things(other than the pool), it would have been worth the money and we wouldn't have been so disappointed.

Room Tip: Ruin 3 with copper bath lovely. Use plenty of force to turn on the shower
2 Thank J M
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I visited Bellinter House again just for afternoon tea in August on the way home from a dissapointing stay in Carton house. Just driving up the drive towards the house lifted all our spirits. I just love this hotel its old,quirky and comforting (my sister calls it her happy place)! The staff are so nice and friendly.
We have booked to stay again this june for a night and we cant wait (i may also have to bring my boyfriend here for our anniversary as im always raving about it but he has yet to experience it)! I am counting down the days till our stay.
Definitly my favorite hotel in Ireland!!!

Room Tip: They are all great but stay in the main house if you can!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I recently dined in the restaurant at Bellinter House with my family for a birthday dinner. I have never been so let down by a seemingly 'high class' restaurant,I expected more with it being the sister restaurant of the award winning Eden restaurant in Temple Bar (as per the website). The service was some of the worst I have ever experienced. The two young ladies working were not trained to work under the pressure that is obviously expected of them, and the lack of supervision and management was blatantly obvious . We waited over half an hour for a drink having to ask four times about it. The starters were delivered before the drinks. The food was mediocre, definitely not the standard I would expect from a restaurant of that standard. Our table was not quality checked, the steaks were over cooked with no opportunity to let the staff know as no-one returned to the table until well after the meal was finished. Having waited more than an hour for the main course one would expect the steaks to be at least cooked to the guests liking.
In all it was an awful experience. If I was paying less for the food I would have ignored the absence of a manager and maybe would sympathize more with the two young inexperienced staff, however paying a large bill for a culinary experience that was so underwhelming and disappointing really infuriated me.
The lack of someone in charge and accountable for the madness and disorganization on a busy Saturday night makes me think that something is very wrong with the restaurant.
Needless to say I will not be returning to the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank 781R_G
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here the 4th of February with my partner and we both loved it. We stayed in the rooms above the bath house. contrary to what other reviewers have said we found the hotel and rooms to be lovely and warm. The food was fab and the staff all nice. The entire place is spotless. One or two cobwebs in the hard to reach places, but who doesn't have them! The leisure area was also very well kept and clean! I will defo return. Well worth a visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We recently stayed here for a night,and were absolutely thrilled with the decor, the food and the staff.One girl in particular went that extra mile which made such a difference to our stay.She was so friendly and informative and had all the local knowledge.Thank you Sabrina we will be back soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We booked a Luxury Retreat package and where expecting great things as the place got so many rewards - we were more than disappointed. We arrived a little early and our room wasn't ready yet so we decided to go to the sauna/pool area to waste some time. Not only are the facilities old, what is worse, they were incredibly dirty - used towels, dirty floors, empty plastic cups on the ground, a big hole in the wall of the men's shower, no bathrobes or shoes! After the first shock we then wanted to check-in (half an hour after the regular check-in time) and our room was still not ready. We were told to wait 'a few minutes' and have a drink. We eventually got a room (not the one we booked) 1.5 hours (!!) after check-in time. The room was nice to be fair but the rest of the house and facilities old and in need of a good clean.The restaurant food was average but the atmosphere a bit prison-like. The treatments in the spa were good and the facilities there in a good condition - must be a different management.
We complained at check-out and got a discount but to top things off, they tried to charge us for bar food we never ordered on the invoice!
Bellinter House is a lovely building and has great potential but there seems to be a complete mis-management of the hotel and facilities. Really wonder when they won all those awards and what happened since...not recommended!

1 Thank Templeowls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Navan
Newgrange Hotel
Ardboyne Hotel
Ardboyne Hotel
#3 of 4 in Navan
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa

Been to Bellinter House? Share your experiences!