Bellinter House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewseden restaurantdrawing roomhot tubrelaxation roomeast wingspa treatmentssteam roomseaweed bathcopper bathafternoon teaeggs benedicttea cakesrelaxing weekendteacakesmain buildingvoya productsnext morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 7, 2008

My husband I stayed here for one night as a treat to celebrate our wedding anniversary and what a treat it was!

I could not recommend this place more highly.

We checked in early and this was no problem at all. Next pleasant surprise was that we were given an upgrade, to the main house because of our special occasion! We were then brought to our room by a very friendly receptionist. All too often staff in places like this are so hostile and pretentious, they make you feel like you are lucky to have been let through the door, but this was definitely not the case here, what a welcome change.

The room was wonderful, a funky cool mix of old and new. Lovely comfy bed, great wardrobe, a fireplace in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. Big windows overlooking the grounds; views to make you relaxed and happy. The bathroom was as big as the bedroom! Wonderful bath tub, fab shower, a giant free standing mirror and lovely cosmetics. We loved it all.

There was great tea and coffee making facilities, including caffitiers, a selection of teas plus real fresh milk! The mini bar was well stocked but pricey of course.

The flat screen TV was great, good channels and a DVD player but best of all it included a music catalogue. You could store your chosen play lists and let it roll out your favourites.

We had lunch in the bar which was light and lovely while we had dinner and breakfast in the main dining room, Eden Restaurant. When I came downstairs to the dining room I was mindful of a previous reviewer’s comment of it being dark but I really can’t say it felt this way to me. There were a number of windows and it was painted a nice bright colour. Admittedly the plain tables weren’t to my taste but this is no big deal when the food tastes so good.

Dinner was great, tasty and wonderful but it was breakfast that really impressed me. For a start breakfast is served till 11am!!! How novel, a hotel where you can actually have a lie in and still have breakfast! I wish more hotels would do this. Another amazing thing about this place was that the breakfast is actually worth getting up for! Juice, bread, croissants, petit pains and toast that is actually hot! You could then choose from granola & fresh fruit, lovely porridge or cereal. Then a choice for cooked breakfast too! My husband had the full Irish which he said was the best he had in years. Freshly cooked, good quality meats. All too often the full Irish breakfast served in hotels around Ireland is terrible, over salty, poor quality food that has been kept warm for hours but not in Bellinter House. I chose an omelette which was so tasty, a lovely alternative!

We used the swimming pool but because of time constraints did not get to use the spa. The pool was lovely, just like the rest of the place a total joy to be in.

I was so sorry to be leaving and I can’t wait to go back. If only more hotels were like this place.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank daai
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Once you arrive at reception in Bellinter House you park your busy life and can't help but embrace the warm and comfortable ambience of this boutique hotel. The decor is daring but blends in perfectly, the rooms really comfortable and food at Eden is excellent as always.
Our spa experience was similar to the rest of our expeiences during our stay - truly relaxing and delivered with really friendly service .
I would recommend this venue as a must-do with your partner, mother, friend or even by yourself.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I stayed here with a friend for 1 night some time ago, think it was about mar 2007. The hotel wasnt quite finished at the time, outdoor pool was still under construction. Rooms werent ready when we arrived around 4, but we didnt mind waiting. We both had lovely spa treatments and a spell in the pool at twilight which was magical with the mist rising off the river. We went for dinner in eden and had a lovely meal. I sometimes go to eden in dublin, a sister restaurant, which is expensive, but the food is very good. Our room in one of the wings was very luxurious with a plasma tv and music system, which we had a bit of trouble using. The breakfast was great and service overall friendly and efficient. I would love to go back and the price is the only thing stopping me! The grounds are also lovely and this is a fab haven, perfect for a weekend or night away without travelling too far from dublin.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lara123Dublin
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I use this website all the time to plan trips and so feel I have to be honest and accurate when I review...there's nothing worse than looking forward to a nice weekend, forking out big money and being disappointed and I was so afraid that's what was going to happen after reading some of the reviews..I am delighted to say that I can only re-iterate everything the last reviewer has said - this was one of the best service experiences that I have had in any hotel across the world.

I wonder what kind of negativity and bad attitude some people carry around with them to have such a poor experience in such a great place....the staff here are fantastic! So warm and friendly and genuine and engaging, we commented to each other several times about the old fashioned customer service we were getting...it's getting very rare in Ireland these days unfortunately. Maybe some people prefer to be ignored or simply "served"? Well if so then this is not the place for you - Bellinter House is unstuffy and relaxed but without compromising service standards or manners/respect...I like to enagage with people and like it when someone offers their recommendation so I found the staff to be affable and knowledgable and I sincerely thought the ambiance was fabulous...I am actually baffled by some of the remarks...there's a really positive atmosphere in this hotel so I feel sorry for those who had a bad experience...I am a great fan of the Blue Book in Ireland and regularly stay in expensive "exclusive" hotels and honest to God I think Bellinter is right up there in terms of warmth and hospitality. Some of the decor is a bit twee eg stag head paper lampshades but it's a very small thing - each to their own - it certainly isn't offensive and I wouldn't let it effect my enjoyment of a hotel!! This interpretation of luxury is recovered wooden floors and high ceilings not plush carpets and glitzy chandeliers!

The spa was lovely, staff very professional...we enjoyed our treatments and the pricing was fairly typical...evening meal in the drawing room was lovely with a fab roaring fire and the wind whistling outside - very atmospheric..we enjoyed our dinner on sat nt in Eden, I wouldn't rave about it but it was tasty, nicely presented, well-timed, I wasn't sitting on other diners laps and staff were efficient and friendly..

I should probably admit that I am a corporate events organiser and have stayed in some of the best international chain hotels, boutique properties and independent hotels..I am not an expert by any means but it's my job to inspect and assess a hotel and categorise it according to certain criteria...so even when I am away on a personal weekend to relax in my own time I do pay attention to detail and I have to say hand on heart Bellinter House is fab if you want to switch off in relaxed luxury in beautiful surroundings.

I know I have gone on a bit but to sum it up - this is a boutique hotel and offers a warm friendly vibe suited to young professional couples who want to get away and do nothing for the weekend...I would hand on heart recommend it to my friends and absolutely will return - at only an hour from Dublin it's an ideal weekend break without sitting in your car for hours and being wrecked when you get there. If you want a cold international chain style experience maybe you should try the Marriott?

PS: I highly recommend a visit to Tara

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidayjunkieIreland
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We had heard a lot of great things about Bellinter from friends of ours who had stayed and so we decided to treat ourselves to a weekend away and booked in for two nights. We had a fabulous weekend and we can't wait to find another excuse to go back.
The house itself is really beautiful with an eclectic mix of antique furniture and quirky retro stlye 50's and 60's vintage pieces..... very cool indeed.
Our room in the main part of the house was beautiful with an amazing view over the countryside and the river. It was a huge room with a great big bed, lovely linen and a cool tv/music system which my partner loved.... he was in techie heaven!
The drawing room with its big open fire is the perfect place to relax and unwind. We loved the relaxed, laid back, 'at home' kind of feeling in this place and hung out there all evening grazing occassionally on some delicious bar food.
The next morning before breakfast we went for an early swim which was lovely as we had the whole pool to ourselves. We had booked two treatments in the spa and left feeling throughly relaxed and gorgeous. Later on, on a reccommendation from the receptionist we drove over to nearby Tara for a walk to work up an appetite for dinner that evening. Having been big fans of Eden in Dublin for years, we were looking forward to the country version of it. We weren't disappointed, the food was excellent and the staff were lovely.
Overall we love the house and throughly enjoyed our stay. We felt very relaxed and at home here. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and we will definitely be back for more....

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple