“A Grand Guesthouse...”

Killyon Guest House
Ranked #14 of 19 Navan B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Killyon provided a comfortable and gracious home away from home when we first landed in country. We spent 6 nights. Its a 15-20 minute walk to town center and across the road from a more than adequate restaurant/pub.

Though we came for the spring equinox temps, were -1 to 5 C on a warm day! The heat in our room was kept on the low side and when we asked about this, everyone rose to the occasion with hot water bottles, a lovely bathtub and unlimited access to the kitchen for hot drinks to help us stay dry, warm and inspired.

The ensuite rooms are cozy. Ours overlooking the Boyne River was quiet and bright. What deserves ABSOLUTE RAVES are the amazing breakfasts which in our 5 weeks traveling throughout Ireland, were unequaled. Killyon owner Michael Fogarty is an artist in the kitchen and a gracious host. Among other pleasures of the Killyon, this one stands way out.

Highly recommend this B&B for its location, hospitality and those breakfast beauties. Oh, yes .... also for Bentley, the enthusiastic canine welcoming committee.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Killyon, Owner at Killyon Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you for your recommendation and your very kind comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Booked in here with 3 friends for one night last week and we were blown away by the attention to detail throughout the house and by the breakfast - we are still raving about it.
Our room had a balcony overlooking the river and was really quaint.
I can't wait to go back and stay in the summer when the garden is in bloom and breakfast is served on the balcony overlooking the river! Thanks to all there for a fabulous visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and are very much so looking forward to seeing you again in the summer.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

i spent two nights with Michael and Sheila, and it was a wonderful place!
The rooms are beautifully decorated, the breakfasts are gorgeous and sumptuous, and the shower is good.
The deck overlooking the river and surrounded by Michael's lush gardening is divine, especially in the morning sun. I saw a great heron going up and down the river, and the feeders brought all manner of small birds to the deck.
It's only a 15-minute walk into town, and the hotel pub across the street serves good food and Guiness.

Room Tip: ask for an upstairs room looking over the river
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

We were delighted to read the review of your stay with us. Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The word "quaint" was invented for this B&B. It definitely feels homey and probably is nice in summer, but in early October my room was freezing. It was so cold I couldn't bear the thought of showering. I'm sure I could have figured out how to operate the shower, but didn't even want to try. Those who know me realize that it usually takes a natural disaster to keep me from bathing. Warning to caffeine addicts: NO coffee was available until breakfast time - 8 a.m. Not even instant coffee in the room. Breakfast was great as was the view from the breakfast room, which faced a lovely garden and a view of the river Boyne. When it was time to leave I was told the proprietor couldn't handle a debit card "at this time." It had to be cash. This wasn't mentioned when my sister and I checked in. We pooled our euros and had enough, but I'm still upset that we weren't told about it being cash-only. The best part of our stay was Bentley, the collie who greeted guests. If it weren't for him and the view at breakfast I would have given this place just one or two stars.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary Lu W
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Myself and a group of friends were at a friend's birthday party in Navan when we stayed in this lovely b and b. The rooms were very comfortable and clean and each had their unique,classic style. It was a real gem of b and b. I have never experienced a breakfast like it in a b and b. We were given a wide selection of hot cooked meals,fruits ,cereals, fresh home bread and of course their carrot cake. The dining area where breakfast was served was overlooking a river and all in all a very pleasant experience. I think we almost spent about two hours dining at breakfast!The owners were so friendly and helpful and inclusive. It was a very enjoyable stay and I would definitely recommend this b and b. It was great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanne F

Thank you for your recommendation. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Since my last visit to Killyon i have stayed in a lot of places but still have yet to find one as good. Killyon is the End Of The Rainbow in the world of bed and breakfast. Michael & Sheila are great hosts and will go out of their way to help you. I couldn't recommend this guest house highly enough. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your recommendation. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The price is very reasonable for what you receive. The house is beautifully decorated with antiques, and the room was very comfortable. The veranda, overlooking the river, is so beautiful, it's hard to describe. They have every type and color of flower growing, with comfortable seating and classical music playing. We loved sitting out there, and my daughter loved playing with the owner's friendly Collie (he stays outdoors). The breakfast is absolutely the best we had in Ireland. Everything is homemade, including the cakes and breads. You must try the carrot cake, it's dense and wonderful. The table is set like a 5 star establishment, and looks out on the flowered veranda. When we checked out, I accidentally left my laptop, and had to return hours later. We were invited back in for tea and cake, hot chocolate for my daughter. It was such a kind thing for them to do, after a long day of driving. We weren't guests anymore, but they treated us like we'd just arrived. I can't thank them enough for that. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Navan
Newgrange Hotel
Ma Dwyer's Guest House
Ash Cottage
Ash Cottage
#9 of 19 in Navan

Been to Killyon Guest House? Share your experiences!