“Very Satisfactory 3 star”
Review of Newgrange Hotel

Newgrange Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Navan
Reviewed July 18, 2008

This hotel is in the very heart of Navan. Park your car in the underground carpark and explore Navan town. The hotel is lovely inside with its quirky layout. There is a great old library room and lovely little bar areas. The staff especially in reception were very friendly and helpful. We asked for a room that overlooked the Boyne river - which was lovely but the traffic on the road outside the room was very noisy from early in the morning. The double room was large and nicely decorated and everything was clean.
We would definitely stay in this hotel if we are in Navan again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DublinEyespy

Reviewed July 6, 2008

Stayed here for one night at a rate of €90pps. Hotel itself was fine, basic 3 star. Check in staff were lovely as were the bar and restaurant staff. The lady running the restaurant on the night we ate there was really efficient and the dinner was included in the price which I found really good.

The room itself was nice, little on the small side but clean. Hotel has a pub and a nightclub which was perfect for our group.
What ruined our stay was after a long day out we came back to find no hot water. On calling reception 3 people ended up coming in and out of the room whilst we were getting ready which wasnt ideal.

One person made out as if we simply hadn't turned the shower on properly which I wasnt impressed with at all. The same happened to another member of our group. We were refunded part of the room fee due to this as we had no hot water for the entire stay. Had to ask for this though.

Location is really central. Would I stay here again - probably yes as the hotel itself was fine with the exception of the above problem we'd a great time and all the staff we met were friendly.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I stay in the hotel earlier this month and I have to say I found it to be a very nice local hotel.

Not being from the area and only staying for a short time, the staff were very helpful in telling me the best sights to see and were to eat outside of the hotel.

The bedroom was very clean and even though the niteclub was on, my room was far enough away not to bother me.

Check in was fine, my room wasn't ready on arrival but it was explain that they had a full house the night before and that it would be about 2pm before I could get into the room. I left my bags with reception and took a wander around the town for 40minutes and my room was ready by the time I arrived back.

Just in relation to the last comment, if they through your irreplaceable item in the bin, then it must have been for hygene reason and something which the accomodation staff were not willing to handle. This can be understandable and I am sure nobody would like to be put in this situation.

Over all I had a lovely two night stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed for one night. I left a personal, irreplaceable and important item in my room by mistake on leaving. I spoke to the manager less than 24 hours later and she informed me in the rudest manner possible that housekeeping had "binned" it. She made me feel incredibly unimportant and small. There was no apology. No chance for reimbursement. No chance to discuss the situation at all. She practically hung up on me.
I have never experienced such bad manners or service in a hotel before and I have travelled a lot.

The room was too warm, and when I opened the window the noise from the busy road was too loud for sleep. The breakfast was big but disappointing. Soggy toast, tasteless eggs, instant coffee, fruit salad consisting mainly of soggy apple, orange juice from concentrate. TV remote broken and taped together.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank happygolucky33
Reviewed April 23, 2008

As business travellers we stayed here Sunday night in April, so we weren't here for the nightlife or the bustling market town. The hotel handled our reservations and arrival competently and we found the staff pleasant and friendly, with that Irish interest in what you are doing that seems genuine.
My single room looked out over the back, and was modern, well furnished, with everything you would think needed - hair dryer etc. Only negative comments are: small towels - maybe that's the fashion in Ireland rather than US-size bath sheets, and the room was a bit noisy because of the road. Cold night, and I had my window shut, but it might have been a bit too noisy if it was warmer weather and I wanted to leave the window open.
The bar was pleasant, if loud, and the staff were fine. When we came back in the evening there was a band in the bar (seems to be band night everywhere in Ireland) which was unbelievably loud - and I would think that the bedrooms above there would be loud. But we sat in the library for our drink and were fine. Breakfast was also above ordinary - juices, fruits, normal cold stuff and I had a cooked breakfast which was perfectly OK (can't rave too much about bacon and eggs). We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food there.
Maybe I had a different shift of staff than the previous reviewer! It's not the best hotel in the whole world, but perfectly nice and I'd stay there again if in Navan.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MumTraveller
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Stayed here one Saturday night and all i can say is stay away. This place should be booked with caution.

First the good points - the hotel is in a great location right in the middle of town and the room and bathroom was a good size, clean and comfortable.

The bad points have to be the service in this place and the noise. The staff would need to learn the art of courtesy for guests. Dont dare to ask for toast or tea from the unfriendly breakfast staff. God help us what an ignorant shower. Bar staff could learn a few pointers as well.

The hotel is very noisey. The hotel hosts a popular bar in town which never lets up and a nightclub, weddings and 21st's. the ballroom is very close to the rooms and people tend to wander from the ballroom down the corridoors of the hotel. Just what u want, a drunk knocking on your bedroom door.

Parking is also difficult in the hotel car park. Be careful with the car as the spaces are very tight.

If u think this place sounds good for hen nights or stag nights think again. They close the residents bar at regular closing time saying they'll open again later when the disco crowd/party crowd have gone but dont hold your breath.

Anyway stay away from here. Not a nice place.

PS - class resturaunt across the road called the Russell. Great grub.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank volk
Reviewed September 16, 2007

The Newgrange Hotel is modern and well-appointed in a good location for exploring historical sites north of Dublin. The one complaint -- and it is huge -- is that the hotel was so loud that I could not sleep. I stayed there on a Friday night, and I had asked to make sure the room I was given was in a quiet location. I was assured the room was very quiet ... and it was until night time when the quaint hotel pub turned into a blaring diso that hosted a live rock band. I was on the top floor and could hear the band from my room. To make matters worse, the room was above where the taxi stand was located, so I could hear the drivers chatting and the party goers shouting as they left the pub or the other club down the street to get a taxi. I went down around 11 pm to complain to the desk staff, and they said the band would stop around 12:30 and apologized for the inconvenience. At check out the next morning, the clerk asked how my stay was, and when I said not so good, she asked if it was due to the noise. Obviously not the first time someone had complained. The hotel might be fine on a week night and worth the 130 euro bill then, but be warned that between the usual wedding parties at the hotel and the pub/disco, you will not have a quiet night's sleep if you stay on the weekend.

PS -- If you are looking for a nice restaurant in Navan away from hotels or pubs, try the Gate across from the Catholic church. The Sheppard's Pie was excellent, the prices very reasonable, and the staff as pleasant as could be.

• Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank B2squared
Also consider these accommodations in or near Navan
Ardboyne Hotel
Castle Arch Hotel
Castle Arch Hotel
#3 of 3 in Trim
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa

Been to Newgrange Hotel? Share your experiences!