“Excellent Food and Service”

The Central Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 76 Restaurants in Navan
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gastro Pub & Restaurants with a strong emphasis on good food, craft beers and live entertainment seven nights a week. Open for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner, with unique private party areas that are available to hire for any function. Winner of the Overall National Bar of the Year Award 2014 and Best Modern Irish Cooking in a Bar Award 2014 at the Bar of the Year Awards in October 2014. Winner of the Restaurants Association of Ireland (RAI) Best Gastro Pub in Meath Award both in 2013 and 2014.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Central provides excellent food and brilliant service and is probably the best value restaurant in Navan.

13  Thank Martin F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stopped in this place while traveling across Ireland. Enjoyed the food and the people. Prices were good too.

14  Thank mkewest
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at Navan for a few days and used it as a 'travel hub' so we had occasion to visit three restaurants in Navan. When we visited The Central we didn't change restaurants after that - it was great - we visited twice. Friendly service, nice atmosphere, good food and reasonable price; their pate' is exceptional and very well presented. We visited the restaurant area at the back, walking past the front bar restaurant area. We grabbed the far side couch-seat location which we used on both visits. Justine was great - she even gave us a free Irish Coffee to say 'thanks for visiting' all the way from NZ. If we ever re-visit Navan, The Central will be the place to eat at. Thank you Justine (Day Two) and the young lady (Day One) who served us. Good cooks.

Tip: if you looked at the front of the restaurant from the footpath you might not think there is a food gem waiting out of sight toward the back. There is: walk in and keep going and go to the back restaurant area. Enjoy.

16  Thank Peter_from_Rangiora
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've been to The Central twice in last few months for food in the evening times and although a little pricey (especially the sides) I enjoyed it. I went with my family recently on a Sunday afternoon and was VERY disappointed. Myself & my husband ordered mains off the specials board. They were quite tasty but very expensive and insubstantial. We were both hungry afterwards. My children ordered pizza which were just rotten - completely tasteless and cardboard like in texture. They love pizza and would normally finish every last bit but managed less than half this time. Won't be going back.

10  Thank Sasa673
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Central has pretensions as a gastro-pub. But pretensions are all they are and the gastro may relate to gastro-enteritis. The front bar is OK and has some interesting and unusual beers on tap - so brownie points for this. However the restaurant is truly awful as I shall now relate.

The first time I went to the Central was on a wine tasting night - well the wine was really turpentine and the food provided with it was an appropriate accompaniment in that the aforesaid hydrocarbon could only improve both taste and texture of the food.

The next two times were both mistakes - but the last time was the final straw and it really will be never again. My wife and I both ordered the pate to start - it was reasonable but nothing to be impressed by. For the main she ordered the Chefs' special burger - well raw and red firstly describe the burger which arrived dumped on a plate with some rather exhausted salads and a mishapen crumbling bun. Simple description - it was not edible. The main course I ordered was supposed to be Teryaki beef with noodles but when it arrived the noodles were stone cold - upon complaint the waitress informed me that the menu said "Teryaki beef with noodles and salad" - I countered that this did not imply that the noodles were cold and that the addition of some punctuation could have allayed such mistakes again. I then ordered a replacement of spaghetti carbonara thinking nothing could go wrong here - how wrong I was, the spaghetti arrived in a luke warm gruel-like opaque water that even the waitress admitted was awful. Sent back again so we decided to leave and will never return. The waitress could only say that "we do good steaks", pity the chef cannot cook anything else.

One of the worst pub-restaurants I have ever been to and I hear from several friends they have had similar experiences here including food poisening from out of season crab. Warning - its not good - avoid.

19  Thank Enoteque_Medellin