“If there is better in Ireland we haven't found it”
Review of Newport House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Newport House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newport
BALLYMENA
“If there is better in Ireland we haven't found it”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from two nights at Newport House and what a place.

Traditional country house with lovely decor and if you can imagine sitting outside on a lovely sunny day in the west of Ireland drinking a cold Guinness....so far so good.

Staff - Excellent, excellent, excellent... can we just say that every single one of the staff are a credit to the business. We were made so welcome by all and they made our stay that bit more special.

Breakfast - my wife challenges anyone to find a better eggs Benedict and while I had the less healthy "full irish" the mushrooms were to die for.

As I said so far so good.....dinner................simply divine, local produce freshly cooked and beautifully presented and the Scallops.....

We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PHILRBallymena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Michigan
Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I are just wrapping up a 2 week tour of northern Ireland and Scotland. I booked us in quaint boutique hotels like the Newport House throughout our journey and they were all quality, gourmet food establishments with high standards. The Newport House out shone them all. The service was over the top. Dinner was the best meal of the trip; their chef is well respected in the gourmet food community. Whilst dining in other fine restaurants during our trip, the topic would come up about where we have been and dined and without fail the waiters or in one case, owner, said that the Newport House had one of the best chefs in Ireland. You don't have to stay here to eat here but you should treat yourself to the whole experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichiganTess
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 24, 2014

First, a declaration of interest. My wife Gina and I visit Newport House 5 to 6 times a year and stay for long weekends. We have fallen in love with Newport House and with the sincerely friendly and solicitous staff.

Newport House is a hidden gem. It is less like a commercial hotel than a friendly and elegant home where you feel cherished and looked after to an exceptional extent. This is where you will find that special Irish welcome. This is an authentic experience of the fine and elegant country home.

John's cooking is in the old French classic tradtion. The food is simply the best that Gina and I have ever have. It requires serious walking to burn off the calories. Dining in Newport House is delight, never disappointing, always to the highest standards, which never slip. Kevin is the able deputy to John and they are a pair of magicians. Is John Ireland's greatest chef? I believe that he is and certainly he is if you are looking for haute cuisine in the finest tradition. Locally sourced fish, meant and vegetables are the perfect local storehouse. John and Kevin cook these to perfection.

Cathal looks after the magnificent and excellent value for money fine wines. Excellent vintages of Bordeaux and Burgundy. Plenty of exceptional vintages, great 1982s, 83s, 89s, 90s and some of the exceptional more recent vintages. Cathal is an expert and sensitive guide. I drink wines in Newport House because they are impeccably stored and for thebetter vintages, they are much more keenly priced in Newport House than elsewhere. Some of the vintages are no longer available elsewhere. Try to the 1982 and 1983 Chateau Palmers! Sublime

Catherine, a lady of elegance, friendliness and prodigious memory organises everything to a tee. If you wish to have that special family occasion, place yourself in Catherine's hands. She makes it happen and to keep Newport House functioning like a perfectly maintained clock. Catherine has elevated warm and wonderful Irish country house hospitality to an amazing level. Roisin, Alan and all of the others make a every visit a true wonder.

Elegant bedrooms, no "musak", beautiful recepion rooms , a cosy of cosiest bars and lovely period furnitire complete a magnificent home. Kevin, the sprightly owner, is actively involved in every aspect of his home.He is an erudie and engaging conversationalist when he can find time.

We stayed and dined in Newport House last Autumn for the final weekend of the Season. I was so looking forward to returning this Easter but we have a conflicting arrangement abroad. I only realised how much Newport House and its people meant to me when I was upset to find that I could not go this Easter. Sigh!

I will be back again before Summer. My wife and I have found the perfect place for restorative and delightful weekends. Although we have been regular guests for almost a decade, I regret not having visited before.

There are so many amenities in the area and not just the amazing fishing on the river and in Lough Beltra. Cycling, wallking on the Greenway, sailing, golf, scenic driving, wonderful history and magic spots accompanied the true Irish welcome are all there.

I see one other reviewer said that the average age of guests is about 70! We see it differently. There is a great mixture of ages and, for special occasions, all generations of a family. We have seen young romantic couples, middle aged people and a few older men, such as myself.

Newport House is unique and special. I cannot recommend it highly enough. We will be back again and again.

Room Tip: Book early, try to find the opportunity of staying at last overnight if you are dining in Newport Ho...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony L
ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed only one night at newpot house but we will most definately return. This place is fantastic. Its old furnishings are beautiful and there is a lovely feel to this place. The bar is very cosy with a roaring fire, its the perfect place to enjoy a pre dinner drink. The dining room is fab and the food is some of the best ive had.... Really delicious. Tea and coffee is served after dinner in the drawing room which is beautifully decorated. Catherine who is the manager of the property could not be more helpful. I was pregnant at the time and she very politely offered to get a cushion for my back at dinner... Its all these small touches that make an intimate place like newport stand out. The bedroom we had had a beautiful large four poster bed and the ensuite was charming. The location is excellent being in the centre of newport which is quite small. There are no televisions at newport so it is definately a place for relaxing in. We cant wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travelsar0und
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2013

A highlight of our trip to Ireland. It will not be for everyone as it is very quiet, typically "comfortable" in that country house way, and the average age is about 70. The 6-course meal is fantastic and not to be missed -- the chef accommodated my husband's dietary requirements by eliminating butter. Service is exemplary and the sommelier, with years of experience and a terrific wine cellar, guided us to an excellent bottle of wine that enhanced our meal, but did not break the bank. We chose staying in a manor house over a castle and believe we had a more personal experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IOWENI
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our second visit for three nights. This place is special. Quite apart from excellent fishing and outstanding breakfasts and dinners, the standard of service, the courteous informality of staff and the feeling that nothing is too much trouble are reminiscent of a bygone age.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank richard m
Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We dined at Newport House recently and i can only agree with other contributors who described the experience as old world charm. Everything was perfect - food, wine and service. There was a good choice on the dinner menu , four starters, soup/sorbet, 5 main courses including three fish dishes, cheese board and a mouth watering dessert menu and tea/coffee served in the lounge in front of a real fire!! Staff very friendly and efficient. It is probably for a special occasion but we hope to return soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Feemar5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Hotel Newport
#7 of 14 in Westport
Westport Woods Hotel
Westport Woods Hotel
#11 of 14 in Westport

Been to Newport House? Share your experiences!