“An experience”
Review of Newport House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Newport House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had evening dinner here recently and it was a lot more than just dinner, it was and experience of a life time. I never experienced anything like it before. The food was out of this world, the service was like something you would see in the movies. I could go on and on but one has to experience it to see what I am talking about.

Room Tip: I did not stay
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have been to Newport House a number of times over the years & recently celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary there with our fussy and vegetarian inclined children. As always the food and service were excellent. The house has a real old world feel to it and the dining room is particularly nice. Adjustments were easily made to the menu to accomodate the children. The wine list is very good ranging from nice budget wines in the Euro 30 price range to fine wines in the Euro 100++ range. The athmosphere is lovely and the tea/coffee in the drawing room at the end of a lenghty and relaxed dining experience is a nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank M O
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have been visiting Newport House on and off since 1983, usually dining there two or three times a year. I have never stayed there, as we live locally.

The extremely high standard of the cuisine and the hospitality have never varied, and in our most recent visit, it was, as always, superb.
One is welcomed into a lovely sitting room, or the cosy back bar, for one of the best pints of Guinness around, and a lovely fire.

The set menu has a full seven courses, and one is offered plenty of lovely choices. The presentation and service is impeccable, and one is made to feel very comfortable, yet all the formalities are observed.

The quality of the meal is always superb, and the wine list must be one of the best in the country.

I note a comment that the decor is dated. Newport House was restored by Kieran Thompson when he bought the establishment, and it was so superbly done then that it has not needed any real change since that time. I would not use the term "dated", but describe it as in character, and of it's time. I think it would be a great mistake to modernise a gem such as this.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Crevlin
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Myself and a girlfriend stayed in Newport for three nights recently, and it was a wonderful experience. From the moment we arrived, our every need was catered for by the best staff I have ever come across. They were friendly, obliging and you felt they were grateful for our custom. We ate there every night (the first night we were too tired for a full dinner, so we were served a light supper by the fire in the drawing room). The food every night was sublime, as were the breakfasts. Although the décor of the house is a little outdated, the service and attention more than compensated for this one shortfall! In fact, after 5 minutes in Newport House, it wasn't even noticeable. I would highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank loveresearch
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had such a glorious meal here, yet I couldn't find it under restaurants. All I can say is that it was a five star meal. I would reccomend the Smoked Salmon and the mixed hors d'oeuvre.
The service was lovely from all the staff we encountered, we felt well pampered. Next time I go to Mayo with my wife, we will definatley stay here, as I would love to see the bedrooms as well. They need to get the name out more, as we only found them by chance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MarcusDublin
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Periodically, we are treated to a really topnotch culinary experience. We didn't stay in Newport House, but had dinner with friends in the outstanding restaurant. Once again, last week we were so pleased with the outcome. We had a lovely meal, impeccable service, warm hospitality and outstanding food. Topped off with the legendary wine selection, all in the charming setting of Newport House, overlooking the river. The proprietor, Kieran Thompson, greeted us warmly and with interest. We even had a chance to discuss the week's catch with hotel guests over drinks in the intimate bar afterwards. We could not have been more pleased. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank cruising_kitty_57
Reviewed July 29, 2011

During our 2+ weeks visiting friends in Ireland we had the pleasure of visiting The Newport House in Newport, County Mayo.
It was not a planned visit but it turned into a fantastic experience.
The Newport House is beautiful and stepped in History.
The rooms, complete with high ceilings, beckoned to years gone by.
We had a lovely meal, the wine list was amazing and the people couldn't have been nicer. They are not open all year round so plan your visit accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank BreezeRidge3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Hotel Newport
#5 of 7 in Newport
Western Greenway B&B
Western Greenway B&B
#2 of 7 in Newport

Been to Newport House? Share your experiences!