“Best B&B ever in a very interesting area.”

MourneView Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Carlingford B&B and Inns
Coupeville, WA, USA
“Best B&B ever in a very interesting area.”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Our 2nd stay at this favorite B&B. Super quiet, super clean, large sunny rooms in the countryside 1 mile from town of Carlingford. Wonderful breakfast in their sunroom with views of the Mourne & Cooley Mountains. Lyn is a great hostess and well supplied with books & brochures on the area and other parts of Ireland. The town has Viking & Norman history with old city walls, remnants of a castle, situated on the water and with fine restaurants. Easy drive from Dublin airport. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Belfast,Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I booked 2 rooms for myself, my husband, my parents and my stepson to stay in. I checked availability through 2 internet booking agents for the date that we wanted to stay (Saturday the 8 August) and they had availability. However there was an online booking fee for each room and I thought to avoid this I would call the B&B directly. The booking was made with no problem - as I thought!!. Yesterday however I e-mailed them to confirm something and I received a call at 10.15pm from the woman who owned the B&B to say that her husband had put our booking in for the following Saturday. I was informed that there was now no room for us as they had given their available rooms to others who had contacted them after I had made my initial call to them. To add to our worry even further the woman went on say that most places in Carlingford were booked out for this weekend but she said that she would call round and try and find availability elsewhere. I thought that this was very unfair as I know that I provided all of the correct information regarding our requirements. Moreover if this information was recorded incorrectly by the B&B I don't think it would have been unreasonable to have expected the owners to have gone back to the people who made the reservations after we did and explain that a mistake had been made and sort out alternative accommodation for them. The woman refused to do this and apologised saying though that it wasn't her mistake and there was nothing she could do. Had I not sent the e-mail yesterday to confirm something my family and I would have traveled to Carlingford to find that we had nowhere to stay. She eventually did manage to find availability in a hotel in the town (which is not where we wanted to stay). We now have to pay 50 Euros more for our stay as a result of the mistake. Everyone can make mistakes but I think the way that this mistake has been handled showed a very poor standard of service and a poor regard for the needs of their customers. We will still be traveling to Carlingford but the whole experience with the Mourneview has left a very bad taste in our mouths. I certainly won't be trying to stay with the Mourneview again and I would suggest that if anyone is thinking of going there - book through a website and just pay the booking fees. It would be easier than all the hassle we have had.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
El Cerrito, California
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Stayed for four nights last July wanting some peace and quiet to prepare for a talk I was giving in Dublin. I'm not much of a world traveler. Missed connection at JFK, no rental car, and the ensuing mayhem led to me ending up in Dundalk after the last bus for Carlingford had already left. Lyn had her husband come out to pick me up so I wouldn't have to pay insane cab fare! Can you imagine this ever happening in the US?
The place was very clean and comfortable, everyone was so friendly, and the breakfasts were great! I booked at the last minute, and one night there wasn't a room available at the B&B, so Lyn put me up in the self-catering farmhouse next door, which is really beautifully done. Highly recommend if you're traveling with family or a handful of friends and need a little more space.
Couldn't really think of any downside. I guess some people might not like that it isn't right smack in the Carlingford village. But I loved the 20 min walk down the country road that led to the village through some beautiful farmland and countryside, which I walked a couple of times a day to go into town for dinner, sightsee, hike, etc. Beautiful scenery!
Overall, a beautiful place to stay in a beautiful part of the country! Just the place I needed to have a quiet place to get some work done and explore the countryside. Would definitely stop in again.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — A little challenging to get to without a car
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Stayed here on May 15, 2008 on the first night of our 2 week Ireland vacation. Room was very confortable and Lynn was very nice. Breakfast was greeat and the view from the dinning room was outstanding. My wife loved the sheep outside the windows. It is about a 2-3 minute drive from Carlingford. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008
North of UK
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Only stayed one night but husband had stayed last year and was not disappointed on his second visit. He had praised the B&B highly so I had high expectations which were exceded.
Mrs Grills was very friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable with lovely views of fields and mountains.
We had already booked a meal at the Kingfisher bistro which was also recommended by Mrs Grills.
Carlingford is a lovely town to explore and we walked along the Lough side after dinner.
The breakfast was delicious and there was a good variety of cereals etc.
We will return for more visits I'm sure.

• Liked — Warm welcome and beautiful location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed November 17, 2007

This little B and B is a hidden gem! Comfortable, clean rooms with views of Carlingford Mountain or the lough going over to the Mourne Mountains, and warm welcome. Lyn Grills was a most accommodating hostess, and made fabulous breakfasts to order. I was lucky enough to see lambs being born in the field outside the breakfast room on two mornings! I had a great stay, and was made to feel very welcome and comfortable.

• Liked — Location, views, lambs!, breakfast, hostess
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank optimistic20814
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#7 of 13 in Carlingford
Belvedere House
Belvedere House
#4 of 13 in Carlingford

Been to MourneView Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!