“Not very welcome, poor breakfast”
Review of Grove House B&B

Grove House B&B
Ranked #7 of 13 Carlingford B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2009

This is a very poor b&b. You are not really welcome. The breakfast is very poor. We had a room with a bath, but the bath had no stop. So we asked Wendy, the landlady, for a stop. She said: other guests had taken away the stop and therefor there was no stop. So we asked for a new stop and she once again said that there was no stop and that the bath only was a douche. There was totally no service in this b&b. Wendy only has much blabla, but never had the intention to her guests to feel welcome or to solve little problems.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jenny058
There are newer reviews for Grove House B&B

Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights and found all aspects of this B&B excellent. The room was large and the bathroom spacious with a great shower. A lovely dining room on the first floor gives beautiful views of the nearby mountains. It's in an ideal location for a walk on the Tain Way. Lots of parking is available.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnneKTralee
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We arrived very late in the day with no booking and were warmly welcomed. The B&B is elegant and not too far from the centre of town. Breakfast was very good and the rates were good too.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz S
Reviewed May 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed one night in this lovely B&B as we were attending my cousin's wedding. We had heard such good things about the place and especially about the owner (Wendy) that it was a no-brainer. Upon arrival we found the front door standing wide open and so went to check in. There was no one around and there appeared to be no reception area so we went upstairs in search of the proprieter. When we got to the top of the stairs we ran into Wendy and before we got a chance to explain we were there to check in, she said "How did you get in here?" in a very hostile tone. When we told her the door was open she said "Well it shouldn't have been open" and very abruptly showed us to our room. The room was very nice but it was unfortunately located right beside the front door so that from early morning we could hear other guest's comings and goings and chit chat with Wendy. When things quietened down and we finally got back to sleep, there was a loud knock on our door and Wendy shouting that it was time for us to check out. This was repeated again about 10 minutes later. We got ready as quickly as we could and vacated the room. Wendy was in the hallway when we were leaving but she neither offerred breakfast nor even a greeting, and she certainly didn't escort us cheerily to the door the way she had with the other guests. For the life of us, we couldn't figure out what we could have done to deserve such treatment. I often visit Carlingford as I have family there but I have never been back to Grove House because of the appalling treatment I received, which was even more surprising because of the good things I have heard. Hard to believe it is, in fact, the same person. I had to add to this review because, 3 years on, I am still bothered by the terrible treatment we received.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kensy007
Reviewed September 13, 2008

'Three Birds & A Fella'

This is the third time we have stopped at Grove House in Carlingford (with different friends & family), and thought it was about time we got round to writing a review of this lovely bed and breakfast and the owner Wendy, who is one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. She has always made us more than welcome on every visit, and has always been very helpful with information about places of interest to visit.
The rooms are lovely with every amenity you should want.
The breakfast room is extra special, as it is upstairs overlooking the Mountains of Mourne, which are breathtaking on a clear day. Wendy's breakfast is 'to die for' especially 'the full irish'.
So if you visit this pretty little medieval village, which is a must, try booking Grove House B&B, as you will not regret it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We arrived in the afternoon, dead tired, after arriving on a red eye at 6am. The proprietor's daughter showed us to our rooms, where we had a lovely nap before dinner. The rooms were comfortable and the decor lovely. The location is good as well, as we were able to walk to charming Carlingford town for a wonderful dinner.

The following morning, we forgot to set the alarm, so we woke up about 15 min before we were supposed to leave to pick my brother up, who was arriving at the Belfast airport that morning. Wendy, B&B keeper greeted us with a smile, and apologized for not being there to welcome us the previous afternoon herself. We told her that we were running late, and she was politely insistent that we have a cooked breakfast, despite our lateness, “Ah, go on. The frying pan’s hot, so it’ll be but a moment.” We were so glad we did, because it was the best breakfast I have ever had. It tasted like the hen laid the egg directly into the frying pan, and the rashers were as long as my forearm. It totally spoiled us for the rest of the trip, because no other fry up compared.

I'm really surprised to read reviews about the service, because we had exactly the opposite experience at the Grove House. Wendy and her daughter were wonderful hosts. My mother, brother, husband, and I rate this as our best B&B experience on our 10 day trip to Ireland, especially for the breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank caroslime
Reviewed May 17, 2007

I stayed a night at this hotel, and most of the guests seemed to be creeping around for fear of causing annoyance. I was an early arriver, which I'd asked about before I booked, and had been told it would be no problem. However, it was. I would have left and found another B and B but knew there were few beds available in the town that weekend. After the hostile reception it was difficult to feel comfortable and I was glad to leave - the breakfast was poor too. For 70 euro, as a single person, I would have expected a lot more.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dolphinfriendly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#1 of 8 in Dundalk
MourneView Bed & Breakfast
MourneView Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 13 in Carlingford

Been to Grove House B&B? Share your experiences!