“Not Great Value & Poor nights sleep” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oystercatcher Lodge

Oystercatcher Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlingford
Quin Ireland
“Not Great Value & Poor nights sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I'll start with the positives. Rooms were a good size & clean, and it's right in the centre of town. However, we were duly woken by the crowds leaving the nightclub at 2am and the noise went on for an hour. The "continental breakfast" leaves a lot to be desired. As outlined, you get a small carton of fruit juice to share, some horrible bits of pineapple in a prepacked tub, and upon leaving the room, found some pastries had been left outside our door, but these weren't great or substantial. Overall for the €80 spent, I feel we could have got a much better nights sleep and a far better breakfast elsewhere in the town. Infact, we ate in the Bay Tree and found out we could have got Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for €120 which is fantastic value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank twalker003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

We stayed there for 1 Sat night, our room was at the front of
the house. Room was very nice but didn't realise we were facing
the village Hotel that has an nightclub.
The noise levels between 2 and about 4am were unbelieveable,
won't make that mistake again.
The website says that they a generous "Continental Breakfast" in your bedroom. This includes, fruits, fruit juice, home made breads, butter, jams Tea and / or Coffee
- I don't think so, carton of juice and fruit segments from Aldi no bread

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bernib52
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

This B&B has excellent Accommodation. It is in the main town and local to everything. The rooms are spacious and private and are like mini suites. The view is beautiful of the mountains and the room is very relaxing. The owner is lovely and helpful. I would recommed this room to anyone going on a short break as this is a lovely get away!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed in Carlingford in The Oystercatcher. We were delighted to see that our room faced onto the village square, which made everything convenient. The town is so compact. We were within walking distance of PJ’s, McKevitt’s and all the restaurants, cafes, and shops located in the centre of this beautiful medieval village.
The rooms were spacious and clean and the beds were huge and comfortable. I slept so well.
In the morning we were woken by the noise of the village coming to life. We got up and wondered to Malocca’s for Breakfast. I had the pancakes and bacon a real treat and really good value.
The oystercatcher is a lovely B&B and its location can’t be beaten

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

Carlingford may just be the most quaint, picturesque village in all of Ireland. Although the Oystercatcher is a bit pricey, our room was very large with a very comfortable KING-sized bed and a roomy bathroom. The Oystercatcher is centrally located in the village center, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. When we return to Carlingford, we will return to the Oystercatcher.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

Myself and a group of friends and family recently visited Carlingford for a walking weekend. We made the huge mistake of booking dinner at the Oystercatcher Bistro in the centre of town. Initial service was bordering on rude but the truly appalling experience still awaited us; having had to send back several dishes due to the fish being raw and the meat being undercooked we made a complaint and outlined we were unwilling to pay for four of the dishes that were completely inedible. This then led to the proprietor launching into an extremely rude, intimidating and ,frankly, inexcusable tirade of abuse - words actually fail me when I try to explain his reaction. Not only would I not recommend this restaurant on the basis of poor service and terrible food (and dirty wine glasses!) but I would urge anyone with a desire to champion the cause of the consumer to boycott. The previous night however we had a fabulous meal in The Bay Tree, couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank niland
aine M, Owner at Oystercatcher Lodge, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Review 14 Sept 2009
I have deliberately waited over three years to answer this review. There have been times when I considered that no reply was the best option.
I still remember the group very well as I was called by the staff to help sort a difficult problem. When I arrived I sat in the service are for a number of minutes (5/7) to get a feeling for the situation. The atmosphere was very loud and had every sign and feeling of a good and long night out. The group dominated our small bistro and were overbearing with our staff. One girl had been crying.I approached them and asked for a little quiet, only to be further abused and told that they would not pay for certain meals. I told them that if they considered that fair (I had checked with the kitchen staff and could come to no real conclusion) I would accept it. I returned home. Some few minutes later our head waitress called and said they had left and had paid nothing. The full bill, with the agreed deductions was over €300). I considered this awalk out. I did look for them around the streets but they may have gone into some other establishment and, naturally, I had no desire to take our dispute into another premises.
I believe that this complaint is totally overstated and ask for your consideration on the matter.
The following morning two of the girls came in during breakfast ansd apologised
Cavan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

Went there for a one night stay with my boyfriend. location was brilliant. Room was lovely and bright and even tho we had a room at the front of the property during the may bank holiday weekend, noise wasnt a problem. Bed was really comfortable too and breakfast was lovely. Definately returning to this one!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#3 of 13 in Carlingford
Ghan House
Ghan House
#1 of 4 in Carlingford

Been to Oystercatcher Lodge? Share your experiences!