“No trip to Ireland is complete without a visit to Carlingford.”

and 1 more site!
Oystercatcher Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlingford
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“No trip to Ireland is complete without a visit to Carlingford.”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Carlingford may just be the most quaint, picturesque village in all of Ireland. Although the Oystercatcher is a bit pricey, our room was very large with a very comfortable KING-sized bed and a roomy bathroom. The Oystercatcher is centrally located in the village center, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. When we return to Carlingford, we will return to the Oystercatcher.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Myself and a group of friends and family recently visited Carlingford for a walking weekend. We made the huge mistake of booking dinner at the Oystercatcher Bistro in the centre of town. Initial service was bordering on rude but the truly appalling experience still awaited us; having had to send back several dishes due to the fish being raw and the meat being undercooked we made a complaint and outlined we were unwilling to pay for four of the dishes that were completely inedible. This then led to the proprietor launching into an extremely rude, intimidating and ,frankly, inexcusable tirade of abuse - words actually fail me when I try to explain his reaction. Not only would I not recommend this restaurant on the basis of poor service and terrible food (and dirty wine glasses!) but I would urge anyone with a desire to champion the cause of the consumer to boycott. The previous night however we had a fabulous meal in The Bay Tree, couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank niland
aine M, Owner at Oystercatcher Lodge, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Review 14 Sept 2009
I have deliberately waited over three years to answer this review. There have been times when I considered that no reply was the best option.
I still remember the group very well as I was called by the staff to help sort a difficult problem. When I arrived I sat in the service are for a number of minutes (5/7) to get a feeling for the situation. The atmosphere was very loud and had every sign and feeling of a good and long night out. The group dominated our small bistro and were overbearing with our staff. One girl had been crying.I approached them and asked for a little quiet, only to be further abused and told that they would not pay for certain meals. I told them that if they considered that fair (I had checked with the kitchen staff and could come to no real conclusion) I would accept it. I returned home. Some few minutes later our head waitress called and said they had left and had paid nothing. The full bill, with the agreed deductions was over €300). I considered this awalk out. I did look for them around the streets but they may have gone into some other establishment and, naturally, I had no desire to take our dispute into another premises.
I believe that this complaint is totally overstated and ask for your consideration on the matter.
The following morning two of the girls came in during breakfast ansd apologised
Cavan
Reviewed May 6, 2008

Went there for a one night stay with my boyfriend. location was brilliant. Room was lovely and bright and even tho we had a room at the front of the property during the may bank holiday weekend, noise wasnt a problem. Bed was really comfortable too and breakfast was lovely. Definately returning to this one!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We stayed at The Oyster Catcher for one night earlier this month. When we booked we were told that it was 70 euro per person per night . At that price were expecting a high end B and B or a top notch fancy guest house. But unfortunately this is just a basic B and B with little other than its central location and good breakfast to commend it. The rooms are big but the furntiture is dated and there was a bit of a smell in the room. We were in room 2 at the front of the building. If you want a good nights sleep i would avoid room 1 or 2 as they face on to the main street and there is a night club in the hotel directly opposite. The night that we stayed there the club stayed open until three in the morning. The smoking area is at the front of the club so the noise from the smokers kept us awake until 3/3.30.

All in all this is a basic B and B. They have a nerve charging the prices they do and they should warn people about the possible noise level in the front two rooms. There are alot more reasonable priced B and B in Carlingford. I would check them out before staying here.

• Liked — location and breakfast
  • Disliked — Noise level
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nyc21tw
Belfast, N Ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Stayed here in March for a weekend away with the missus. I had booked it on the strength of the preceding reviews on Tripadvisor, but was very disappointed. It's actually a slightly poky place, right next to a main street in the village. there was very little natural light in our ground floor room, and it smelt very badly of stale cigarette smoke. The bathroom was pretty ropy too - old-ish features and not a great shower. The noisy hen party upstairs kept us awake in the nigth, clumping around the wooden floor.
The food in the restaurant is OK, but a little rich, although the service is friendly.
All in all we didn't feel this was worth the price tag it asks.

• Stayed March 2007
2 Thank Phleeps
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 10, 2007

I had decided I wanted to stay in Carlingford for the May bank holiday weekend. Myself and my husband were going for one night just for a break. I checked up Four Seasons hotel and decided it was very pricey so decided we would stay in a nice guesthouse/B&B instead. So I researched it on this site and decided The Oystercatcher was the place to stay but I was very disappointed from the time I arrived. The rate was 110 Euro for the room B&B which is expensive for a B&B. The room was very big with a double and a single bed but the decor was definitely outdated! The furniture was cheap to say the least and the bathroom was falling to bits. The shower looked dirty and shower head leaked everywhere! There was chewing gum in the bin, splashes on the wall where you would make tea and the timber floors were filthy. We had to ask them to clean the floors, where we were told, 'ok so i'll do them again so, we had a lot of lads staying in that room last night'!! The floor had definitely not been vacuumed or if it had been the bag needed to be changed. I'm afraid I wouldn't go back and stay there and couldn't wait until I got home to my own bed! On a plus, I did eat in their restaurant that evening and the food was really nice but as far as accommodation goes I would stay clear in the future as I have stayed in really nice B&Bs in Carlingford in the past that would outshine here any day.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and in need of a make over
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ALI76
dublin
Reviewed February 27, 2007

We were in Carlingford for just one night and I decided to book the Oystercatcher however was slightly disappointed when I got there. I feel this is more like a b & b and even though the room was lovely, big and airy , I felt it was a bit pricey at e150 per night. The dinner menu didnt look great so we ended up eating elsewhere and the staff were just ok. I really liked the town of Carlingford but dont think i'd return to this accomadation because of the price.

• Liked — The size of the room
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank remy86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#3 of 13 in Carlingford
Belvedere House
Belvedere House
#4 of 13 in Carlingford

Been to Oystercatcher Lodge? Share your experiences!