“If your going to stay up until 2 am in the very hospitable pubs this place is for you”

Oystercatcher Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlingford
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed here on my own touring on a motorbike. I booked very late and with luck she had one room left! She let me park my bike up the road in her house under cover and behind a gate very helpful! The room was clean and just what I needed and only 35 euros! I would say the room backs on to the Main Street and next to the pub, this can be quite loud when they are kicking out at 1 or 2 ish! Didn't phase me as I was in the pub! Lol carlingford is lovely I would quite easily live here!!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Belfast
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Denise, made us very welcome at the Oystercatcher Lodge.The accomodation was excellent and very good location
At weekends can be noisy though but as long as you want to party its fabulous
We had a lovely meal in Magees from the most comprehensive Fish menu ever

Room Tip: We chose a family room which was larger than normal
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ashley m m
Portumna, Ireland
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I don't usually complain about places I've stayed in/eaten in but I felt a need to share my experience of this place. Like other reviews have said it is extremely noisey at night but that's understandable given the fact that the town gets a lot of stag and hen parties. It was the attitude of the owner that really annoyed me. I can't tell you what the food is like because I wasn't given a chance to try it! I was with my girlfriend who wasn't feeling very hungry and so only ordered a starter. I ordered a starter and main. A few minutes later the owner came to our table to inform us that we had to spend a minimum of €15 per person to eat there or else we would have to leave. It didn't seem to matter to her that our combined bill came to over €30. I couldn't believe how unreasonable she was, especially given the fact that the restaurant wasn't at all busy at the time. There were only two other couples eating there at the time. Avoid this place!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Franc C
aine M, Owner at Oystercatcher Lodge, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Review of 28 March2012.
This review is about the Bistro which is under seperate management to the Lodge. I will not comment.
The lodge is a village centre lodge and this offers great convenience as a dirving is not a requirement. ( we have private parking)
However our central location can be noisey on Saturday nights during the Summer season. Should you wish to get an early night perhaps a location outside the vilage would be better.
Again I emphasise that this is a Saturday night problem only and those participating in the enjoyment do not seem to have a problem
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed here for two nights at the end of our holiday in Ireland and found it very good.The room was on the second floor and was very spacious,clean and tidy.The couple who do the bookings were very friendly and supplied off street parking at their home.It was nice to be so close to the town so we could go for a walk around all the historical sites and also up the mountain which helped us work up an appetite which was satisfied at The Food For Thought cafe just up the street.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fiona W
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I am writing this review at 5am whilst still staying at the Oystercatcher and unable to sleep due to noise. My room is on the groiund floor next to the front door so I am disturbed every time someone comes or goes, and this is quite a lot on a Saturday night as Carlingford seems to be the stag and hen capital of Leinster. There is no breakfast available here which makes the €50 a night I am paying as a single guest very expensive. If I was succeeding in getting some sleep I may not feel to aggrieved about it. I am not looking forward to the long drive home tomorrow.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Havenhill
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I wish I had read the reviews before I booked this. They are all true about the noise. We stayed on a Saturday night and were still awake at 4.a.m. with unbearable noise right outside the windows which are not double glazed (we were put on the ground floor opposite the Chinese Takeaway). All of the young people coming out of the Hotel nightclub, which is opposite the B&B, congregate in the Square and outside the Chinese. A fight broke out just as we were coming home and I was genuinely frightened. There were bottles being thrown and the language was something else. I did not feel safe here and did not get any sleep. To add insult to injury we were left 2 slices of brown bread in a basket (no butter) for our breakfast and 2 cheese type muffins! I suspect we had the worst room, it was certainly nothing like the picture on the website and it was no "minisuite". When we complained we were given €10 off but we still had to pay €80 for a night of no sleep! Our friends stayed in a B&B with a seaview no noise and a home cooked breakfast and it was only a few minutes walk outside the village, I would advise anyone else to do the same.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emma C
Quin Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I'll start with the positives. Rooms were a good size & clean, and it's right in the centre of town. However, we were duly woken by the crowds leaving the nightclub at 2am and the noise went on for an hour. The "continental breakfast" leaves a lot to be desired. As outlined, you get a small carton of fruit juice to share, some horrible bits of pineapple in a prepacked tub, and upon leaving the room, found some pastries had been left outside our door, but these weren't great or substantial. Overall for the €80 spent, I feel we could have got a much better nights sleep and a far better breakfast elsewhere in the town. Infact, we ate in the Bay Tree and found out we could have got Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for €120 which is fantastic value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twalker003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint
MourneView Bed & Breakfast
MourneView Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 13 in Carlingford

Been to Oystercatcher Lodge? Share your experiences!