“lovely hotel”
Review of Four Seasons Hotel

Four Seasons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlingford
Reviewed February 16, 2014

have just returned from staying at this hotel, was here for a wedding and was very impressed with this hotel, its lovely decorated, and very spacious. the rooms are quite big we had a single and double bed for 2 people, the bathrooms are also a very good size, with a great shower, plenty of hot water and shower was quite powerful. had dinner and breakfast here and food was very nice, the staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is in a lovely area, views are very pretty from the hotel. only gripes I have was that the bed was not that comfortable, alcohol was quite expensive in the hotel and our room was not available for us at check in until nearly 4pm which was quite late, also the hotel itself can be expensive to stay in at the weekend. however was impressed with this hotel and think it makes a lovely venue for a wedding.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Majella-Toner, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear anniea12,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you were impressed with our hotel and its stunning location. Our staff aim to please and make every guest feel welcome, so I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Apologies for the inconvenience at your check-in, we understand that 4pm is quite late. I have passed on this feedback to ensure that it does not happen again.
We hope to welcome you back for another stay with us in the near future,

Best wishes,

Majella Toner, Sales and Marketing Manager

Reviewed February 8, 2014

A decent enough hotel with excellent leisure facilities. Friendly staff. Lack of signs throughout . Not impressed with menu offered as part of special deal. Wine list total crap (about 6 in total)& what there was came from M&S! (The bar had only 1 type of red 1/4 bottle) Caters for Stag & Hen Parties, so can be noisy at times. Would benefit with a management shake-up and much needed image marketing. Probably best described as a 2 star trying to be a 3 or 4 star. Need to work on that score. Breakfast just ok, a bit haphazard in the lay-out. Enjoyed the one night stay, but wouldn't care for more than that. Unlikely to make a return visit.

Room Tip: Really don't think it matters chose between 'sea-view' or 'mountain view'
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grytpype
Reviewed February 6, 2014

2nights B and B @ 139. What can I say. Approached after driving from kildare. Drove in and it all looked fab from the outside. Lovely girl at check-in. Reception itself was inviting. And then it went wrong. The lift was old and seen better days. The walls were battered and chipped. Into the bedroom. My god what a disaster. I have stayed in a lot better hostels in my younger years. Freezing room, shabby, sat on bed and nearly fell through it, curtains half pulled down off the pole, dust EVERYWHERE, tv was ancient, bathroom NO BATH, grubby, shabby, no shower gel/hats. Rang down to reception and asked to be moved to a better room with a bath, was told a better room was available for the first night only and it would be €20 extra. The second night would have to go back to similar room. Decided to check out. Went down, receptionist asked was everything ok. I told her I was checking out and to go look at the room herself at a later date. The lady went into the back and came and offered a free upgrade for both nights. Unsure where the better room came from for the second night after been told it's only available for one night on the phone previous. Refused same and checked out. If it was a 2bb €99 deal I wouldn't of had a problem. Awful awful

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Catriona D

Dear Catriona D,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. Our sincerest apologies for the condition of your room, I fully understand that this was unacceptable. I have passed this feedback on to staff and it has been discussed in detail to ensure it will never happen again in future.

If you would like to discuss these issues further, please do not hesitate to contact us on (+353) 42 9373530, and speak to a manager within the hotel regarding the issues you have mentioned.

Kind regards,

Majella Toner, Sales and Marketing Manager

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We got a present of a nights stay with dinner in the Four Seasons Hotel and booked ourselves in last Friday night. When we arrived the receptionist was warm and friendly, after a speedy check-in (no signing of cards stating no drink or food allowed as previous reviewer stated!!) she informed us that we had a lovely room, which indeed we had. The room had no number and was called the Slieve Donard, it was a large room with a four poster bed, lovely big bathroom with jacussi bath. Now as this was a present I dont know how much this bed and board cost. We walked down to the village which is only minutes away, it is a lovely town and had a few drinks in the local public houses. Arrived back to the hotel around 8pm for a pre dinner drink and dinner. The bar staff were extremely lovely as was the dining staff. We had a good three course meal, my only complaint was I ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio wine and was informed they had none left, also no wine buckets available (even though the restaurant wasn't packed) which I thought was extremely bad service. Breakfast the next day wasnt great at all, nice selection of breads, cereals and fresh fruit but the hot food was extremely poor, overdone eggs, rock hard pudding and rashers that had seen better days. I find it hard to say bad things about this hotel because of the lovely staff, what I would say is they need to address the breakfast hot food, order more Pinot Grigio and definitely more wine cooler buckets but overall enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Try get the Slieve Donnard Room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Majella-Toner, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Hi CitySlickerRuth,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted you were so happy with the receptionist and check in, we have passed this on and they are delighted.

Thank you for mentioning how friendly the bar staff are they are also very happy with your feedback.

Yes the Slieve Donard is one of our deluxe suites and is perfect for special occasions or a gift

Apologies about the wine cooler buckets, we have since purchased more wine coolers and upgraded our hot buffet breakfast.

We hope you will visit again very soon.

Best wishes,

Majella

Majella Toner
Sales and Marketing Manager
Four Seasons Hotel Carlingford

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here on the 17th Jan 2014 as a joint double birthday celebration for myself and my bestie.
We were quite excited as we had believed "Four Seasons" meant luxury and 4 star service. We had also got the rate quite cheap so we thought we nailed it!
From the outset the building itself looked lovely and the reception area, was spacious and clean.
The receptionist wasn't overly welcoming, and not very informative. She didn't tell us about check out times, that we had use of the spa facilities, or anything to do with the restaurant in the Hotel. Surely they should encourage you to dine with them.
Also we weren't overly pleased at the sneaky manner in which they got us to sign that we wouldn't bring any food or drink from outside the hotel in. (On your card when you sign in)
We hadn't intended to be bringing anything with us, but it clearly stated that any items you bring in (food and drink) will be confiscated and given back to you on departure. Felt like I was back at school, and I think other guests should be made aware of this.
We were given the keys to room 102 and we were so disappointed. Four seasons? Felt more like faulty towers.
Rooms were drab and dreary and very tired looking, mis-match of furniture and the carpet was filthy with wine stains and burn holes. It felt like we had stepped into a time warp.
The bathroom wasn't much bigger and the shower area was very unappealing. The shower head itself was filthy, and covered in mould and mildew.
I was also disappointed to notice that there was no toiletries provided, just soap beside the sink.
We went to the bar, and the staff here are totally different. Efficient, friendly and will do their best to help you, but we found the price of a drink extortionate so decided to move on.
We headed on into Carlingford and had a fantastic night! It really is a fantastic village.
Breakfast wasn't anything special either, and we asked for a pot of tea and were quite horrified to find it was half tea, half coffee. Not what we needed after a night on town. Food was ok, selection wasn't great though, and I'm not a fan of blackened mushrooms.
We decided to go for a swim to shake off the night before, and found it to be lovely. Slightly dated again, but facilities were good, and children seem to be well catered for in the changing rooms.
All in all Im glad we didn't pay full price for this room as it inst worth it. I would have been putting in a complaint! It is dull, dirty and dreary and definitely not 4 star quality. I'm not even sure it would get 3 to be honest.
We spoke to a couple who were celebrating their anniversary. They had paid 4 times what we did and said they were so disappointed. He said the bed was horrendous and they had massive holes all over their carpet and his tele didnt work.
I had thought maybe we got an older room for the price we paid, but apparently they were all in the same condition,
If you want somewhere to lay your head for a night fine, just dont pay over the odds of 2 star hotel.
But if you want a night of being looked after in luxurious surroundings were staff will be helpful and courteous, please spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ladymuck80
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Had an overnight stay in the Four Seasons Hotel Carlingford at the end of 2013. This was a nice Christmas present to myself and hubby enjoyed the break however there are a few things I would like to point out firstly why was there no internal phone in our room and also the Wi-Fi was very bad in the room.

The bar food was quite good but the dinner menu was not great so had a selection from the bar menu again in the evening not great and was quite expensive as there were four of us. The breakfast was quite nice the usual full Irish and cereals etc. The pool was just O.K. have seen better.

Enjoyed stay in this hotel but would not be in any hurry to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I booked a one night conference for 30 people. Never again. Food and rooms were great and staff friendly. However no one gets things done. I had met with the conference staff in advance to go over every detail- nothing I discussed happened. Two examples first we had tea and coffee booked- 30 minutes later after begging numerous times it arrived leaving our guest speaker sitting waiting. Lunch- I asked for 15 mins early couldn't do it and it arrived 20 mins late- tea and coffee arrived 20 mins later again! More begging and promises from staff- really awful service although staff are friendly. Who manages this place? We were told they were busy - no excuse. Same thing about dinner 40 mins after our slot we sat down to dinner. Could do much better - won't be back and won't recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Joan R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Oystercatcher Lodge
The Whistledown Hotel
The Whistledown Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk

Been to Four Seasons Hotel? Share your experiences!