“Staff are rude and hotel is overpriced”
Review of Four Seasons Hotel

Four Seasons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlingford
Reviewed October 18, 2012

There were 12 of us in our party. Our initial perception of the hotel was that it was not of a 4 star standard. We ate in the restaurant, and despite being on a set menu, we were left waiting for 20mins before our order was taken. Dirty dishes were left on the table while waiting staff set other tables for the morning. We had a dry meal apart from the cocktail included with the menu as no drinks were offered. Eventually when we did get a chance to order drinks, it was after our mains. Wine was left unopened on the table! The service was shocking and to add insult to injury, the waiter came back looking for a tip. I had never eaten in a hotel restaurnat and not tipped until then. The following morning, the same waiter ignored us in the bar and walked away.

We had a similiar expereince with cleanig staff in the morning as Nichoillte posted. A cleaner walked into 3 of our rooms 5 mins before checkout, and dismissed our protestations rudely saying we shouldn't be there.

I completed a comment card for the General Manager. She got back to me and I emailed her a full description of our stay. This was two weeks ago and she still hasn't gotten back to me to apologise.

I would thoroughly recommend that people would pursue the cheaper option of a B&B in Carlingford rather than the hotel. It would be cheaper and would be impossible to be of a worse standard. Carlingford is a lovely town well worth the visit so it would be a shame to be put off by the over priced sub-standard "hotel'.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Louise C
GenManager4, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Louise,

On receiving your comment card on your departure from the hotel. I had called and spoken with you and had received your email detailing the issues you had experienced here in the hotel.

I then had been absent from the hotel but on my return last week had emailed apologising for my absence and responding to the issues that you had highlighted. In addition to this I had offered you as a gesture an overnight stay for you and partner/ or friend and to contact me directly to arrange for the overnight visit.

I understand Tripadvisor is a means of public voice, review and personal experiences but I am in fact disappointed as I had actually contacted you and responded to you on the day I returned to the hotel.

I also had stated to contact me directly to get some resolve on the situation. Unfortunately this was not the case.

I have tried to contact you directly on this but without response.

Please do not hesitate to contact.

Kind regards,

Caroline

There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Hotel

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a popular wedding hotel in that it is obviously focuses on this business sector, but perhaps to the detriment of other normal hotel business. Its location is excellent with a short walk into Carlingford town centre with its lively bars and good restaurants. The harbour is almost opposite with historic buildings in close proximity.
The hotel staff were in the main very good although at times some of the bar staff could be abrupt.
The rooms though spacious and clean where dated. The bathroom extractor, high on the wall, was operated by the manual turning of its cover as opposed to a switch.
In my opinion value for money was somewhat poor though the standard of food was good.
I always bring a bottle of spirits with me into my room to sit and enjoy at leisure but surprisingly was informed on arrival that drink not purchased in the hotel could not be consumed in the room and I think this is part of this hotels business culture.
I enjoyed my overnight stay here and could have stretched it to a weekend but I think this would be my limit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank arthur r R
Reviewed October 7, 2012

On arrival at the hotel it took 15 minutes and two front desk members of staff to check my husband and I in. Who the whole time proceeded to have a little chat about another member of staff.
When we finally got our key cards (which one of did not work) we got to our room and we were greeted with a pungent wave of bleach. The room was unbelievable dated from the lumpy bumpy carpet, ironing board - which was stained by something other than scorch stains, an iron that leaked any water that was put in it, a tv that the volume did not work on, a hairdryer that was painful to use (you had to hold a button down to keep it on - not easy when you have long hair) no greeting book with a menu, instructions on how to make outside calls etc. The view from the window was out on to the front of the hotel over the actual front door that had a balcony (which is not actually a balcony) On this so called balcony had numerous empty bottles of beer scattered all over. The bathroom had no shampoo or shower gel either.

We ate in the hotel restaurant, on arrival it took 20 minutes for someone to take our order for food and our wine order. Of which it took a further 25 minutes for our starter to arrive. Our starter orders were a cold dish - so they were cold as expected. Our wine arrived 5 minutes after our starter did (and yes we did ask when our starter arrived about our wine and the reply was - yeah. . . You'll get it now in a minute) It then took a further 10
 minutes for the plates to be cleared and another 35 minutes for our main course!!!! Which were cold and over cooked (we both had steak) the veg and potato were also cold. We sent them back and waited another 15 minutes for the replacements which were again ruined (I don't actually think it was the kitchen staffs fault - I think it was that of the waiting staff and their lack of urgency in getting food to a table) We ate our cold mains (due to hunger!) when we seen our waiting staff again - 25 mins after we finished our mains we told them to scratch the dessert order and to bring the bill. On leaving the restaurant we seen all waiting staff who were racing to get to our table first to get the tip - which we did not leave.
The service was atrocious and the staff were pig ignorant. They slapped plates down in front of us and barked at us when we asked on our orders.
I also cancelled a coffee order and the waitress threw a remark at me saying the bar man would not be happy about me doing that. Absolute shocking customer service.

The following morning I rang reception and enquired about breakfast being brought to our room. The reception staff laughed and said "No" and then silence. I said thank you and they hung up on me.
Check out in the hotel is 11am. I was up and about from 9.30am and had showered and was getting dressed when a member of staff walked into our room at 10.25am. No knock, no call from outside the door, this person barged in while I was semi naked. Before I could say anything after getting the shock of my life this member of staff left the room.
My husband was livid. He raced to the hallway but this person was gone into another room. The cart was in the hallway. He rang reception where he was told he was wrong and he must have imagined it happened the way we said it did.

When we got to reception my husband spoke to the receptionist he dealt with on the phone and she laughed in his face and she that no one else had made a complaint and that he was being sensitive.
He asked for a manager and we were told as it was a Sunday there was no one available.

I am disgusted by the my whole experience in the hotel. I don't know who gave this hotel a four star rating that is advertised when you walk into the hotel but it is no way deserving. I felt grubby, violated and angry leaving this hotel. I cannot believe that the exuberant price was basically extorted out of us for the complete displeasure of staying here.

I have passed on this review to everyone I know either via email, text and word of mouth. I will never stay here again and I can guarantee you that you have lost a vast amount of business because of this review.
I work in PR and my husband works in IT development (who also has a lot of clients from all over the world looking for recommendations if they are staying in Ireland to mix business with a mini/ extended holiday).

Diplorable and completely unacceptable.

• Stayed: October 2012
10  Thank Nichoillte
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in September 2012 because we were attending a friends birthday party in the town of Carlingford. It is clear from reading the reviews and having stayed at the hotel for a night, that this hotel is a 'wedding' hotel. This is understandable...the location is lovely with beautiful views of the bay and the mountains. It is also only 5 mins walk from the centre of Carlingford. However, if hotels go too far down the wedding package route they will have a problem sustaining other kinds of holiday types. The front of house is quite attractive but the rooms are very basic and the wear and tear is clear. The guest rooms are clean but definitely shabby. Our room cost us €200 b&b for one night between 3 of us - incredibly overpriced. On entering the room we were greeted by an ironing board and iron which lay, unsecured, against the wall. The TV was the old box type with poor reception and very limited number of channels. There was a wedding on when we arrived and the pre wedding reception was in the bar which made it totally inaccessible - we felt like we were intruding so headed off to PJ O'Hare's bar for lunch (definitely worth a visit).

We were informed that check-out time was noon but at 11.45 a.m. on the morning of our departure one of the cleaning staff opened the door and walked into our room. When she saw were still there, she left without even an apology - our gentle 'nudge' to get out!

Carlingford is a lovely little village and we would love to return however the overpriced accommodation needs addressing before we would consider it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank MerryC_11
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a hotel which does exactly what it is meant to do. Good service, friendly staff, rooms clean, a good nights sleep. Not too expensive, an ok leisure centre, a bit dated but fine for our needs. The village of Carlingford only a few minutes walk away, good for an afternoon of exploring.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath as opposed to a shower, all rooms have showers but the ones with a bath a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank padraigboylan666
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

If you are going to Carlingford, this is the place to stay. I could not believe how great value the room was. The service was great, the room was lovely and the staff are so friendly. Really and truly wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank 932NB
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We attended a wedding and stayed over. The location was great and the hotel v pleasant and spacious. The garden at the side of the hotel was a fine area to enjoy the weather. Service and food , inc breakfast was v good. I found fault only with the cost of b&b at €140 and bar prices were v high also. Costs require review.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank jezreel2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Oystercatcher Lodge
#5 of 8 in Dundalk
The Whistledown Hotel
The Whistledown Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint

Been to Four Seasons Hotel? Share your experiences!